Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ode2Joy

Ellicott City Main Street area devastated by more flooding?

163 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, johnpolitics said:

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over again. Why waste the $$$ on rebuilding. 

Tell that to people in Tornado Alley

3 hours ago, Sprightly said:

Alienrace:

Wow.  That river has no sympathy for what people have done to the land around it.

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, PinkFlamingo said:

No it’s not due to climate change. Like they said on ch11 before, it’s due to all the concrete...all the building and paving around EC...makes for nowhere for the water to go but be funneled downward through the town. 

Not climate change. Just too many humans constructing buildings and roads.

You are absolutely correct.

1 hour ago, johnpolitics said:

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over again. Why waste the $$$ on rebuilding. 

So, should a history packed city that has been alive and vibrant for hundreds of years be sacrificed for the paved parking runoff at the new Bed, Bath, and Beyond? Or the roads and inadequate storm water management at the new McMansion development?

Heads should roll in Howard County.

Edited by Apexbud

4 minutes ago, Apexbud said:

You are absolutely correct.

So, should a history packed city that has been alive and vibrant for hundreds of years be sacrificed for the paved parking runoff at the new Bed, Bath, and Beyond? Or the roads and inadequate storm water management at the new McMansion development?

It’s both. The man altered conditions make it ripe for flooding, but It shouldn’t be happening this often. We’re having 100 year storm events every 2-5 years it seems. Stream gauges should be interesting. 

12 minutes ago, Apexbud said:

Yes, there are a lot of questions that need answers. Any “experts” Howard Co employed to remedy the problems actually were effectively know-nothings. :rolleyes:

Just unreal to be hit two years later. Can you imagine what the insurance premiums must be? Prayers for all affected.

1 hour ago, johnpolitics said:

Because Main street Ellicott City is a hot area.

I hate to sound slimey but this could be a good business opportunity...

4 minutes ago, Marshan Man said:

I hate to sound slimey but this could be a good business opportunity...

If you open a restaurant, I’m only dining there if the weather says No Rain. 

There’s something creepy spooky about watching that burgandy Honda with it’s taillights still blinking floating down the road.

7 minutes ago, com6063 said:

Because Main street Ellicott City is a hot area.

No its wet. If you are going to rebuild put the buildings on stilts just like ocean front property. Build the infrastructure for the water first. 

4 minutes ago, johnpolitics said:

No its wet. If you are going to rebuild put the buildings on stilts just like ocean front property. Build the infrastructure for the water first. 

Sinking pilings into EC’s granite wouldn’t be feasible. 

19 minutes ago, Marshan Man said:

It’s both. The man altered conditions make it ripe for flooding, but It shouldn’t be happening this often. We’re having 100 year storm events every 2-5 years it seems. Stream gauges should be interesting. 

Ellicott City has always had a history of flooding.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellicott_City,_Maryland

Quote: "The town is prone to flooding from the Patapsco River and its tributary the Tiber River. These floods have had a major impact on the history of the town, often destroying important businesses and killing many. Ellicott City has had major devastating floods in 1817, 1837, 1868,[5] 1901, 1917, 1923, 1938, 1942, 1952, 1956, 1972 (Hurricane Agnes), 1975 (Hurricane Eloise), 1989, 2011, 2016, and 2018. The 1868 flood washed away 14 houses, killing 39 to 43 (accounts vary) in and around Ellicott City."

Most floods through the years seem to come from the Patapsco River valley flooding, not from uphill through town.

Studies were done after the 2016 flood blaming over-development uphill from oldtown Ellicott City.  I do not know of any new storm water management projects since then.

Then again, I don't know if anything could stop flooding after so many inches of water in such a short period of time.

3 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

Sinking pilings into EC’s granite wouldn’t be feasible. 

Doing the same thing again won't work either.

10 minutes ago, Apexbud said:

Quote: "The town is prone to flooding from the Patapsco River and its tributary the Tiber River. These floods have had a major impact on the history of the town, often destroying important businesses and killing many. Ellicott City has had major devastating floods in 1817, 1837, 1868,[5] 1901, 1917, 1923, 1938, 1942, 1952, 1956, 1972 (Hurricane Agnes), 1975 (Hurricane Eloise), 1989, 2011, 2016, and 2018. The 1868 flood washed away 14 houses, killing 39 to 43 (accounts vary) in and around Ellicott City."

Most floods through the years seem to come from the Patapsco River valley flooding, not from uphill through town.

Studies were done after the 2016 flood blaming over-development uphill from oldtown Ellicott City.  I do not know of any new storm water management projects since then.

Then again, I don't know if anything could stop flooding after so many inches of water in such a short period of time.

Notice the difference in time? C’mon 2 years??

20 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

If you open a restaurant, I’m only dining there if the weather says No Rain. 

There’s something creepy spooky about watching that burgandy Honda with it’s taillights still blinking floating down the road.

Not a restaurant, but stormwater management/TMDL credits...

11 minutes ago, Apexbud said:

200 yrs, 16 floods

Generation after generation, people rebuild and rebuild again. 

Such is the life of a mill town on the river. 

A thing to remember is that all of the rain that fell in the past few weeks, meant that the ground was already saturated. Then by having 6-9 inches of rain fall in a few hours. It made it ripe for flooding. Fortunately there have been no fatalities reported as of this time!

9 hours ago, PinkFlamingo said:

No it’s not due to climate change. Like they said on ch11 before, it’s due to all the concrete...all the building and paving around EC...makes for nowhere for the water to go but be funneled downward through the town. 

Not climate change. Just too many humans constructing buildings and roads.

exactly "pave paradise and put up a parking lot" and that's what happens

1 hour ago, DaJellyBelly said:

A thing to remember is that all of the rain that fell in the past few weeks, meant that the ground was already saturated. Then by having 6-9 inches of rain fall in a few hours. It made it ripe for flooding. Fortunately there have been no fatalities reported as of this time!

Ch 11 said there is a man missing.

8 hours ago, johnpolitics said:

Have you been down here? The old stone buildings have been there forever. I don't think you could put them on stilts.

Posted (edited)

At what point does the government stop pouring money into this area and its businesses? Don't misunderstand, I have lived in the county for over 30 years. I've enjoyed many days and nights in Ellicott City. Sometimes I drive through Main St. on my way home from work. All of the small business owners may need to rethink their future. The homeowners/residents rethink their living situation. It's all very sad.

Edited by Sprightly

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Sprightly said:

At what point does the government stop pouring money into this area and its businesses? Don't misunderstand, I have lived in the county for over 30 years. I've enjoyed many days and nights in Ellicott City. Sometimes I drive through Main St. on my way home from work. All of the small business owners may need to rethink their future. The homeowners/residents rethink their living situation. It's all very sad.

That is an excellent question. 

I would guess when they stop dumping tons of sands ($$$$$$$) on the OC beaches to preserve the very expensive condo's and such...Or when they stop dumping tons of money in Baltimore. or or or or or or or. ....................................

Humans are very stubborn....knock it down....they will try to rebuild. Crazy when you think about something like this .....but...it is what WE do.

Think about the mid west and Tornado alley. Or that place in MD....the name escapes me...constantly being hit with tornados....yet the rebuild. 

Edited by Guido2

3 hours ago, com6063 said:

Have you been down here? The old stone buildings have been there forever. I don't think you could put them on stilts.

Demo them. It is a waste of $$$$ to spend more money when the design of the city and all the pavement etc. will only make this a rerun.