Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bleedingorangeandblack

MSJ drops SFA

201 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

16 hours ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

If so clear why respond now not when they were a 2 win team

I don't think SFA was actively pursuing players at other schools when they were a 2-win team.  With the exception of Shaq, that is.

But even if they didn't start breaking the rules I cited until 2016, the MIAA has rarely if ever policed recruiting so they can't really start now in good faith.  Remind me - was there an investigation when Shaq transferred to SFA?  I know he moved his residence > 30 miles but did the MIAA conduct an inquiry?  Have they ever?  Did they for any Gilman players?  I honestly don't know.

It seems like the biggest problem MSJ and CHC and the rest have with SFA is targeting their players and transfers of students already in high school, plus my understanding is that the MIAA has received numerous complaints from public coaches similar to the Mervo coach.  Gilman didn't really accept transfers until the early 2010s when Cockerille came from DM and Sheldon Johnson from City, so it's not exactly virgin territory but SFA has multiplied that activity ten or twenty fold.  I don't know if City complained re: Johnson, but DM refused to play Gilman after Cockerille transferred which is somewhat similar to what CHC/MSJ/AS are doing.

Edited by gillytech

16 minutes ago, gillytech said:

I don't think SFA was actively pursuing players at other schools when they were a 2-win team.  With the exception of Shaq, that is.

But even if they didn't start breaking the rules I cited until 2016, the MIAA has rarely if ever policed recruiting so they can't really start now in good faith.  Remind me - was there an investigation when Shaq transferred to SFA?  I know he moved his residence > 30 miles but did the MIAA conduct an inquiry?  Have they ever?  Did they for any Gilman players?  I honestly don't know.

It seems like the biggest problem MSJ and CHC and the rest have with SFA is targeting their players and transfers of students already in high school, plus my understanding is that the MIAA has received numerous complaints from public coaches similar to the Mervo coach.  Gilman didn't really accept transfers until the early 2010s when Cockerille came from DM and Sheldon Johnson from City, so it's not exactly virgin territory but SFA has multiplied that activity ten or twenty fold.  I don't know if City complained re: Johnson, but DM refused to play Gilman after Cockerille transferred which is somewhat similar to what CHC/MSJ/AS are doing.

Damon Hazelton from Loyola, got blocked to play had reclass and ended up at Franklin

The MIAA transfer rules applied to only transfers from MIAA school to MIAA school. They (MIAA schools) were always free to accept transfers from publics. I think it may have been considered unethical, un sportsmanlike perhaps, to induce a student to transfer from a public to a private. An MIAA school would have been well within its rights to block a transfer of a student to a league opponent.    Which by the way does not mean they could not pursue their education at the new school, just that they could not play that sport for a year at the new school. 

Rule 5(a) prohibits member schools from "directly or indirectly offer inducement to a student of any school, regardless of the student’s age or academic grade, to terminate enrollment at said school and migrate to another for athletic purposes."  I don't see anything that limits that rule to MIAA schools; if it was limited they would've used the term "member school"

I’ll say this, I don’t think the other teams have an issue with recruiting. Every Miaa school recruits to some extent.  From my perspective as an alumni of Baltimore archdiocese and later an Miaa school, when you see a school go out buy the best players not just from Maryland, but the east coast, actively pursue kids at other schools, involve money, promise the world to kids and their families, all for a game? That is not what the league should be about. To try to claim that you’re helping a certain demographic or community in Baltimore by doing so is hogwash. If that was your goal you would help the 1000s of talented Baltimore students/student athletes in your own backyard. Not kids from Virginia, PA, etc. There were people who spoke out against what Gilman started to do in the late 2000s, and Poggi has simply accelerated it at st. Frances which leads to the current mess.

also agree that the Miaa leadership made a mess of this. 

On 5/30/2018 at 1:28 PM, Bully said:

MSJ not forfeiting.  They have 9-10 games in their schedule.  It’s May.  They are dropping SFA from schedule and replacing with another team.  What will be interesting is how they handle MIAA playoff.  If Gilman doesn’t drop them then they will lose badly to SFA and could effect their ability to make playoff.  Or is SFA being dropped by MIAA?

Last I read the MIAA is calling it a forfeit!

On 5/30/2018 at 4:18 PM, Bully said:

Ok.  Racial.  Have you seen the make up of the other schools in the league.  MSJ is in West Baltimore and unlike SFA, their football team is made up of a lot of city kids.  Poggis and Henry have been playing u guys to get what they want.  Which is national recognition. They started this at Gilman but couldn’t take it to the next level because Gilman admin squashed it.  The Poggis have silver spoons tied to their wastes.  They stealing everyone’s kids to build a team with that silver spoon money.  They want to call out real Baltimore city kids, and coaches with integrity on public social media platforms.  They are acting like spoiled entitled *****e$ because other teams have had enough of their cheating ways.  MIAA leadership should be doing more and I suspect they will once McDonogh announces they are dropping them too.  Gilman should do the right thing, drop them and support the integrity of the MIAA league.  MIAA can have a very competitive conference without SFA.  SFA can move on to the bigger and better things they’ve paid for.

That “league” has no integrity. It is rather hypocritical to cry about a situation they propagated for years. MPSSAA should just leave them all to hang and those guys should go play in their own sandbox. I feel sorry for the B and C conference teams who have to deal with the crybabies!

On 5/30/2018 at 9:58 PM, Bully said:

This discussion is not to convince anyone of specific rules because you already know the truth.  The MIAA discourages and doesn’t support student transfers for athletic reasons.  When you have every coach in MIAA ( Not just MSJ) agree that SFA has violated this rule and basic principle then you have problems.  And SFA has big problems now.  They’ve been told from jump to cut it out.  Stop poaching other high schools players.  If they were smart about it and stopped after year 1 and 2 they would have been OK.  Can you honestly say that SFA was following normal recruiting protocol?  Ofcourse not.  Their reputation has already spread way beyond the DMV.  This is not about helping kids.  This is about some very big egos at SFA that feared being exposed by local teams.  Why do they need 20 transfers with FBS offers.  They have fairly young team and strong JV.  But that wasn’t a sure thing for the big egos.  They needed to ensure victory at all cost.  For SFA coaches thinking they are super coaches they probably don’t feel so high and mighty now.  Having money and power doesn’t make you right.

Crap you all do it all the time. You just dislike that SFA is doing to its fellow schools!

On 5/31/2018 at 10:20 AM, city40blast said:

If the miaa does not kick them out are the games considered forfeits? Will the playoffs be canceled?

Yes and remember the MIAA can’t figure out what playoffs are!

On 5/31/2018 at 3:17 PM, EnochRoot said:

What's BS is that you have a multi-millionaire fulfilling some misbegotten dream buy purchasing championships in an amateur sport. 

It's pathetic. It's sad. But most importantly, it's dangerous. And yeah, good for the schools that are pulling out of any scheduled games against them. 

Let this story go nationally and see how well it works out for Daddy Warbucks. ;)

And he and the entire leagues attitude in enabling it for years summarizes what is wrong with youth sports. Make no mistake that every school in that league contributed to this mess!

On 6/1/2018 at 9:21 AM, DJ88 said:

If you read the letter from Mr Nixon and then the MIAA rules that's all the proof you need,

5.  Recruitment In conformity with the purpose and spirit of this Association, the following principles govern the manner in which member schools influence and encourage a student to become affiliated with a school:

a)  No school, through any of its officers, representative or by any other means, shall directly or indirectly offer inducement to a student of any school, regardless of the student’s age or academic grade, to terminate enrollment at said school and migrate to another for athletic purposes.

All of the schools do that when they pillage public schools!

On 6/1/2018 at 2:38 PM, sparky1 said:

Whether he got any offers or not is besides the point. Clearly a coach and program was tampering with another program. 

Yes clearly but the outrage is rather Ill timed. The MIAA schools have been doing this for ever. The only new thing is they began to prey on each other.

On 6/1/2018 at 3:14 PM, city40blast said:

No Baltimore city kid has got offers bigger the FCS aka 1AA and I’m not sure the kid from Mervo is one. But at the same time most of Mervo star players from this past season are going juco which is not a bad thing, but u can see why some would try to go to SFA for the chance at a big offer in their mind.  Maybe the privates and city publics can play 2-3 times to help with exposure 

Correct me if I am wrong but WVU is a FBS school?

2 hours ago, jtowne-swim said:

Correct me if I am wrong but WVU is a FBS school?

Mervo Kids just got two fcs offers, if one got wvu which is fbs great. 

On 5/30/2018 at 0:55 PM, Tiger1012 said:

https://www.wvnews.com/sports/wvu/adams-twins-leave-wvu-football-program/article_37cf7247-ac1a-5f2f-b7a6-03e21d09f789.html

They not on the roster no more! Keep them lies up.  On Twitter they talking bout hitting the juco route...Get back to Bob Evans and get me my breakfast.

http://wvmetronews.com/2018/06/15/cornerback-rejoins-west-virginia-after-leaving-team-in-january/ just FYI 

4 minutes ago, RM7 said:

You don’t need prove anything to anyone on here.  Just be a proud pop who put his boys into college.  

Appreciate that , but I just wanted to clear up the slanderous statement of them not being eligible. 

33 minutes ago, Oldtime said:

Hope he gets some PT. 

Thanks, but more importantly he gets that Degree next year 

1 hour ago, Rob A. said:

Amen

11 hours ago, Rob A. said:

Good for you, right priorities. 

What, no response from Tigger1012 yet?