Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zenwalk

U.S. Hits E.U., Canada and Mexico with Steel, Aluminum Tariffs, Sparking Trade War

52 posts in this topic

While it's not mentioned here China on the other hand is off the hook. Donny seems determined to ruin the economy and divorce our allies.

The Trump administration on Thursday slapped tariffs on steel and aluminum imports from Canada, Mexico and the European Union, firing the first shot in a trade war that could see American consumers pay more for everything from canned soup to cars.

Almost immediately, Mexico responded by saying it would impose tariffs of its own, and the European Commission took legal action.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/economy/u-s-hits-e-u-canada-mexico-steel-aluminum-tariffs-n878881

Anyone else tired of all the winning yet? :rolleyes:

"This is dumb," Sen. Ben Sasse, R-Neb, said in a statement. “Europe, Canada and Mexico are not China, and you don’t treat allies the same way you treat opponents. We’ve been down this road before — blanket protectionism is a big part of why America had a Great Depression. 'Make America Great Again' shouldn’t mean 'Make America 1929 Again.'"

Is the Trump Organization looking to make some big deal with these countries and the tariffs are a negotiating tactic like with China?

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, zenwalk said:

While it's not mentioned here China on the other hand is off the hook. Donny seems determined to ruin the economy and divorce our allies.

The Trump administration on Thursday slapped tariffs on steel and aluminum imports from Canada, Mexico and the European Union, firing the first shot in a trade war that could see American consumers pay more for everything from canned soup to cars.

Almost immediately, Mexico responded by saying it would impose tariffs of its own, and the European Commission took legal action.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/economy/u-s-hits-e-u-canada-mexico-steel-aluminum-tariffs-n878881

It's mentioned here.

https://www.vox.com/world/2018/5/29/17405130/trump-tariffs-china-trade-war

On Tuesday morning, the White House announced that it will proceed with plans to impose 25 percent tariffs on $50 billion worth of Chinese exports to the US. The tariffs, or border taxes, are in response to China’s practice of forcing American businesses to hand over their signature intellectual property to Chinese companies if they want to do business in the world’s most populous country. 

The administration also announced that it will restrict Chinese investment in US companies and limit the number of goods that US companies can sell to China.

The White House said the final list of Chinese goods that will be subject to tariffs will be announced on June 15, and that the measures will go into effect “shortly thereafter.”

Edited by flyboy56

4 hours ago, flyboy56 said:

It's mentioned here.

On Tuesday morning, the White House announced that it will proceed with plans to impose 25 percent tariffs on $50 billion worth of Chinese exports to the US. The tariffs, or border taxes, are in response to China’s practice of forcing American businesses to hand over their signature intellectual property to Chinese companies if they want to do business in the world’s most populous country. 

The administration also announced that it will restrict Chinese investment in US companies and limit the number of goods that US companies can sell to China.

The White House said the final list of Chinese goods that will be subject to tariffs will be announced on June 15, and that the measures will go into effect “shortly thereafter.”

Still in the planning stage.

The danger here is China joins hands with our allies to oppose the common enemy, us.

MAGA.

Just now, ms maggie said:

Still in the planning stage.

The danger here is China joins hands with our allies to oppose the common enemy, us.

MAGA.

Next time the EU will open its doors to Ivanka's line.  Jesus, have we completely lost our minds allowing the Trump crime family to lead this country around by the nose? 

Some are worried that he could get reelected in 2020.

Not me.

The most corrupt and incompetent administration in our lifetime. This is Donald's one and only rodeo. 

The lesser of two evils? 😂🤣

4 hours ago, flyboy56 said:

It's mentioned here.

Trump is really working hard to destroy the country.

19 minutes ago, prodigalson1 said:

Some are worried that he could get reelected in 2020.

Not me.

The most corrupt and incompetent administration in our lifetime. This is Donald's one and only rodeo. 

The lesser of two evils? 😂🤣

You greatly overestimate the intelligence of Americans.

1 hour ago, ivanbalt said:

You greatly overestimate the intelligence of Americans.

I know there are a lot of stupid people in the electorate in America, but I'm betting on the "fool me once principal" to save us from another dose of Donald.

A lot of people stayed home. As long as a woman doesn't run Donald will lose. America still will not vote for a woman. Can you think of one who could win? I'd easily vote for a Republican to keep Donald out although I usually caucus with the Democrats in presidential elections. I really liked Reagan.

7 minutes ago, prodigalson1 said:

I know there are a lot of stupid people in the electorate in America, but I'm betting on the "fool me once principal" to save us from another dose of Donald.

A lot of people stayed home. As long as a woman doesn't run Donald will lose. America still will not vote for a woman. Can you think of one who could win? I'd easily vote for a Republican to keep Donald out although I usually caucus with the Democrats in presidential elections. I really liked Reagan.

You have more faith in the electorate than me. Hopefully Kamala Harris or Elizabeth Warren don't have email issues. :D

1 hour ago, songfourone said:

Trump is really working hard to destroy the country.

Maybe he's not working hard at all. Maybe it's all easy to him.

Someone will have to come in in January 2021 and fix his mess. Well, at least we know most of what he has done can be signed away with the flick of a pen. I'll accept any politician regardless of party...this experiment of 'as long as he's not a politician' has been an abysmal failure which I hope to never see again.

(I'm tired of doctors so as long as he/she is not a doctor that's who I want to replace my kidney.:rolleyes: )

2 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

You have more faith in the electorate than me. Hopefully Kamala Harris or Elizabeth Warren don't have email issues. :D

:) I hear you.

But as brilliant as both of those women are their genitals would be a hindrance at this point in history. I believe.

If any man had Hillary Clinton's credentials and went up against Donald Trump he'd be on his TV show or in court complaining how it was stolen by the FBI, the 'deep state' and the liberal fake news media. And he would have broke ground on his Trump Towers in Russia.

2 minutes ago, prodigalson1 said:

:) I hear you.

But as brilliant as both of those women are their genitals would be a hindrance at this point in history. I believe.

If any man had Hillary Clinton's credentials and went up against Donald Trump he'd be on his TV show or in court complaining how it was stolen by the FBI, the 'deep state' and the liberal fake news media. And he would have broke ground on his Trump Towers in Russia.

What male names have you heard. I haven't heard any except Bernie round 2

Trumps an economic idiot .....

Thinks he's still a big city, big government Democrat .....

26 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

What male names have you heard. I haven't heard any except Bernie round 2

None!!! And it doesn't matter as long as he has the proper genitalia. (No sex changes allowed...yet)

I just don't think America is ready for a woman president. We can't afford to take a chance. Remember how sure everyone (most people) were that Hillary would win? I don't think the Blessed Mother could be elected in America in these early years of the 21st century. Maybe in 15-20 years.

15 minutes ago, prodigalson1 said:

None!!! And it doesn't matter as long as he has the proper genitalia. (No sex changes allowed...yet)

I just don't think America is ready for a woman president. We can't afford to take a chance. Remember how sure everyone (most people) were that Hillary would win? I don't think the Blessed Mother could be elected in America in these early years of the 21st century. Maybe in 15-20 years.

We had two centuries of racial chattel slavery in America, but AA men still got the vote en masse before Caucasian women.  That tells you how entrenched misogyny is in our culture.

1 hour ago, bmore_ken said:

Kamala Harris is one smart cookie.

So is Elizabeth Warren.

Intelligent women are like kryptonite to the GOP.

;)

40 minutes ago, kandace said:

We had two centuries of racial chattel slavery in America, but AA men still got the vote en masse before Caucasian women.  That tells you how entrenched misogyny is in our culture.

I was thinking how it wasnt until 1920, the early part of the 20th century, that women in America were evenallowed to vote. Maybe in 2024 a woman can get elected president. 

I wouldn't want to take a chance of Donald getting reelected in 2020. He must be kicked out, which is what essentially happens if a president is only elected for one term. There is a chance he could get reelected but only if he runs against a woman. America is not as advanced, or smart, as we like to present ourselves to the rest of the world.

Once Donny's simple minded policies start affecting prices at WalMart, his base may take notice. 

9 hours ago, zenwalk said:

Next time the EU will open its doors to Ivanka's line.  Jesus, have we completely lost our minds allowing the Trump crime family to lead this country around by the nose? 

Tramp loves the "poorly educated"...some of whom are college grads. :eek:

7 hours ago, FatBoy said:

Once Donny's simple minded policies start affecting prices at WalMart, his base may take notice. 

They will notice but blame it on AAs, Muslims, Latinos, Asians, MS-13, North Korea, etc.

Posted (edited)

Trump has learned nothing from Bush's folly in doing this.   Back when Bush put steel tariffs in place it did very little for the steel producing industry but wreaked havoc on the steel using industries.  Eventually he wised up and pulled them.   There is no reason to go through this nonsense again.

Edited by SemiAuto

He appears to be poorly informed as well.