Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cprenegade

NBA finals, replay, and why it needs to be eliminated

3 posts in this topic

With under 40 seconds to play, the Warriors were down by two points, and in need of a clutch basket. They gave the ball to Kevin Durant, and he drove into the lane, where he crashed into LeBron James. Initially, the refs called it a charge, which would have given the Cavs the ball, up two, with about 36 seconds to play. 

But the referees got together, went to the monitor, and overturned the call on the floor. Instead, it was a block on LeBron, and Durant went to the line, where he drained two free throws to tie the game.

The referees, however, are allowed to go to the monitor on block/charge calls in the last two minutes. It's a rarely used rule, but it is something the officials are within their rights to review. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/cavs-vs-warriors-controversial-reversal-of-late-charge-call-plays-key-role-in-game-1-of-nba-finals/

I know this happened in the NBA, but I think the same applies to the NFL.  This replay possibly changed the outcome of the game.  Instead of a 2 point lead for Cleveland with the ball, the call reversal led to a tie game and eventually overtime in which Golden State won.  It was a great game that was potentially marred by a questionable replay call near the end of the game.  Think back to Pittsburgh/New England.  A TD overruled that may have changed the outcome of the game.  I was always a proponent of replay, but I have changed my opinion.  Games should not be decided by questionable replays that overturn a call on the field, court, or ice.  I would rather accept human error in calls than have someone under the headphones coming up with something that only multiple replays and slowed down video can detect.  It takes away from the human element of the game.  The difference between that being a charge or a blocking foul was impossible to determine.  But yet they overturned the call, ruled it the other way, and gave Golden State the opportunity to tie the game.  Maybe the key is to give the replay officials 20 seconds to review the play.  If it's obvious, they can overturn it.  But if it isn't, the call on the field stands.  Replay was meant to overturn obviously bad calls that were missed.  It was not meant to have a board meeting of officials to pick apart every little detail and make a decision.  Just my opinion.  

I wouldn't get rid of replay, but the time should definitely be shortened.  Some replays in football and baseball are brutal.

Posted (edited)

I'll say what I always say... the vast majority of the time, the viewers at home know what the right call should be (because of how quickly the broadcast folks cue up the replays) before the coaches / officials have even started the review process.

The right way to do it is to tap in to the replay / video system provided by their broadcast partners, and have an independent official (who knows the rules inside and out) on-site that can review immediately and make a decision.  He / she isn't overruling a partner, or themselves, but looking at the right video quickly and efficiently, and making an impartial call.

Don't send an on-field official over to a booth or a tablet, don't send the matter to some folks in a DIFFERENT CITY to review... do it quickly, on-site, and focus on correcting calls that are clearly incorrect.  For example, in the 2008 Ravens / Titans playoff game, Chris Johnson was tackled down in the endzone for a safety that wasn't called.  Using the NFL's own "Game Rewind", which was just their own live broadcast footage, I was able to freeze frame a shot of Johnson's knee down in the endzone with the ball clearly behind the goal line.  If some schmuck can do that, you'd think on-site officials who have been trained on how to use the "frame advance" button could do the same...

Edited by Ravens2006