songfourone

Donald Trump and the erosion of democratic norms in America

26 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Ask people with deep knowledge of the US justice department about the damage Donald Trump might be doing to the country, and the conversation quickly flips back to Watergate.

Following Richard Nixon’s failed attempt to pull the plug on a special prosecutor who turned out to be on to something, the need for investigators to work free from White House interference was recognized by the public and reinforced by elected officials.

But now Trump is president, the public can seem apathetic or amnesiac and the norms governing justice department independence are being tested. Severely.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jun/02/trump-department-of-justice-robert-mueller-crisis

Edited by Baltimatt
Too long a quote

Speaking of Nixon and Trump, he now appears to be directly channeling him.

The continued refrains of :"there was no collusion" and "if there was no crime there can be no obstruction" are just plain wrong.  Nixon was deposed (he too thought he was "royalty") because he tried to cover up the watergate break in and protect his cronies.  Just based on the indictments to date shows there is clearly a conspiracy to defraud the American people, bank fraud, and other crimes.  Maybe not Trump himself, but certainly those close to him (including his family).  That he is trying to cover up those crimes (very similar to what Nixon did) IS a crime.  However, the REAL crime is what the majority of the Republicans are doing in Congress.  Or rather, not doing.  

5 hours ago, GRF said:

The continued refrains of :"there was no collusion" and "if there was no crime there can be no obstruction" are just plain wrong.  Nixon was deposed (he too thought he was "royalty") because he tried to cover up the watergate break in and protect his cronies.  Just based on the indictments to date shows there is clearly a conspiracy to defraud the American people, bank fraud, and other crimes.  Maybe not Trump himself, but certainly those close to him (including his family).  That he is trying to cover up those crimes (very similar to what Nixon did) IS a crime.  However, the REAL crime is what the majority of the Republicans are doing in Congress.  Or rather, not doing.  

^^^^^^This^^^^^

~~~~~~~~Trump’s Republican Party~~~~~~~~

Let this be a warning in spades, Trump is dragging your party through the pig farm slug pit. Please hold your nose, don’t breathe or open your eyes because you be in the disgusted land of ooze.

If you don’t save your party from this pathetical liar you will not only lose what integrity you have but every seat in Congress.

Then again, maybe that is a good thing after all.

typo---- it's the Republicon party.,. sorry, my mistake

Trump has told more lies in his first year in office than all the previous Presidents put together

~~~~~~~~Trump’s Republican Party~~~~~~~~

Let this be a warning in spades, Trump is dragging your party through the pig farm slug pit. Please hold your nose, don’t breathe or open your eyes because you be in the disgusted land of ooze.

If you don’t save your party from this pathetical liar you will not only lose what integrity you have but every seat in Congress.

typo---- it's the Republicon party.,. sorry, my mistake

Trump has told more lies in his first year in office than all the previous Presidents put together

Trump’s lies

With just 10 days before he finishes his first year as president, Trump has made 2,001 false or misleading claims in 355 days, according to our database that analyzes, categorizes and tracks every suspect statement uttered by the president. That’s an average of more than 5.6 claims a day.

https://tinyurl.com/yawy45sj

I ask,is this who you want sitting in the White House-?

You folks are really going to be disappointed if and when Mueller delivers his final report.

17 minutes ago, VOSA said:

You folks are really going to be disappointed if and when Mueller delivers his final report.

That would be less disappointing than your posting such nonsense.

:D

Even as much as I detest Trump and what he stands for I must admit, the news today “presumes” his guilt while waiting for the proof to prove his guilt.

This is a case of the cart before the horse kinda thing

Even as much as I detest Trump and what he stands for I must admit, the news today “presumes” his guilt while waiting for the proof to prove his guilt.

23 hours ago, songfourone said:

That would be less disappointing than your posting such nonsense.

We'll see.

On 6/3/2018 at 7:28 PM, tooldtocare said:

There is quite a bit right in front of our faces. Its like, since we all see it, then we are all guilty. And if we are all guilty, then no one, including the monster, is guilty.

5 hours ago, VOSA said:

We'll see.

Indictments, quilty pleas, sentencings all surrounding the Trump administration key players.

You really should consider where this all leds.

8 hours ago, SemiAuto said:

Nixon has won Watergate.   This isn't anything new.   

That's funny. Youre right. You've posted this article many times before. Do you keep it in a littke satchel with your other posts that you regurgitate regularly? 

37 minutes ago, hst2 said:

That's funny. Youre right. You've posted this article many times before. Do you keep it in a littke satchel with your other posts that you regurgitate regularly? 

It is easy enough to find bumper sticker slogans with a search engine.   Like this!   

Or you authoritarian fetish clowns can keep being hypocrites.  :)

On 6/2/2018 at 2:42 PM, michiganjoe said:

Speaking of Nixon and Trump, he now appears to be directly channeling him.

Trump’s mentor was Nixon aide, Roy Cohn.

It seems like Trump is trying to imitate the worst characteristics of the Nixon Presidency...

13 hours ago, songfourone said:

Indictments, quilty pleas, sentencings all surrounding the Trump administration key players.

You really should consider where this all leds.

Keep hope alive!

8 hours ago, VOSA said:

Keep hope alive!

Seems you are the one needing to keep hope alive.

Posted (edited)

On 6/2/2018 at 4:59 PM, GRF said:

👍

Shame, shame on the majority House AND Senate. 

If they get away with this in November well it must be the way the majority of Americans want the country run. I won't argue anymore. 

There is no electoral college this coming November. 

Edited by prodigalson1

On 6/3/2018 at 7:28 PM, tooldtocare said:

Actually the news is responding to his repeated and daily taunts and cries of Fake News Media. It not only the news either,  the intelligence community is seeking to make him a one term president also.

I believe combined,  they will succeed and Trump will have to move to Mar A Lago permanently in 2020 at the latest. 

On 6/3/2018 at 5:36 PM, tooldtocare said:

And yet too many just acquiesce to this non-sense

26 minutes ago, prodigalson1 said:

There is no electoral college this coming November. 

Right On! B)

Posted (edited)

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 6:46 PM, hst2 said:

There is quite a bit right in front of our faces. Its like, since we all see it, then we are all guilty. And if we are all guilty, then no one, including the monster, is guilty.

evangelical Christians, evangelical Protestants, Baptists and Catholics all back Trump knowing he is evil. They seem to have sided with the Devil for self-serving reasons and this saddens me to the core.

Edited by tooldtocare