Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
prodigalson1

Why Do YOU Think Gas Prices Are Going Up?

225 posts in this topic

I have no links, no essays, no news articles. I only have my eyes that around two months ago saw the premium grades go above $3.00, then the mid level grades go above $3.00 and now the old staple, regular unleaded,  is at $2.95 at a station where two years ago I paid $2.19 for regular. I can only imagine that the same must be happening all over America. 

Yesterday I saw premium selling for $3.49.

What do you think is the cause of such a dramatic and spiraling increase in gas...all of a sudden? 

Greed.

Mo travel, mo gas. mo money.

Consequences of leaving the Iran Deal starting to take effect... not that the Iran Deal was great, but withdrawing has its consequences and rising gas prices are one of them. 

No one noticed the price has been gradually going up since early in the year ..???

OPEC got together to cut production. We drive less a glut occurs, prices drop.

Our buddies, the Russians, are doing their part too.

OPEC and a group of non-OPEC oil producers led by Russia are well into their second year of an agreement that’s boosted prices to the highest since 2014. While the deal is meant to continue until the end of this year, analysts at Goldman Sachs Group Inc. are among those saying there’s a possibility the cuts could be extended into 2019.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-05-01/opec-production-dips-as-group-keeps-over-delivering-on-cuts-deal

37 minutes ago, Dystopia said:

Consequences of leaving the Iran Deal starting to take effect... not that the Iran Deal was great, but withdrawing has its consequences and rising gas prices are one of them. 

Bingo.  File this under miscellaneous blowback from electing an unstable moron president.

Growing global economy = increase in demand

increase in demand + reduced production (OPEC) = scarcity

scarcity = higher prices

-------

The only certain defense is more fuel efficient vehicles/alternative fuels. We can't drill our way out of the problem

7 minutes ago, JoyinMudville said:

Growing global economy = increase in demand

increase in demand + reduced production (OPEC) = scarcity

scarcity = higher prices

-------

The only certain defense is more fuel efficient vehicles/alternative fuels. We can't drill our way out of the problem

I bought my hybrid 5 years ago. Right after that the prices went down considerably. Now that the prices are up and now that I average over 100 miles driving each day I'm glad I don't have the fuel-hog truck I traded in for it.

It’s my fault, I’m afraid.

I’m retiring later this year and bought my retirement car a couple of months ago - and it’s a 6-cylinder.

My apologies to all.

18 minutes ago, NCBirdfan said:

I bought my hybrid 5 years ago. Right after that the prices went down considerably. Now that the prices are up and now that I average over 100 miles driving each day I'm glad I don't have the fuel-hog truck I traded in for it.

My wife wants a new vehicle. I'm looking for good gas mileage, she wants an SUV. I keep telling her you drive around for work too much.

Just now, stevez51 said:

My wife wants a new vehicle. I'm looking for good gas mileage, she wants an SUV. I keep telling her you drive around for work too much.

You can get a hybrid SUV.

34 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

Ramp up that small car production. Wait, didn't Ford just decide to just build SUV's ........

Yup, low gas prices drove up demand for gas hogs.  People just never learn.

Just now, Chesapeake Spirit said:

Yup, low gas prices drove up demand for gas hogs.  People just never learn.

It always does.

2 hours ago, prodigalson1 said:

I have no links, no essays, no news articles. I only have my eyes that around two months ago saw the premium grades go above $3.00, then the mid level grades go above $3.00 and now the old staple, regular unleaded,  is at $2.95 at a station where two years ago I paid $2.19 for regular. I can only imagine that the same must be happening all over America. 

Yesterday I saw premium selling for $3.49.

What do you think is the cause of such a dramatic and spiraling increase in gas...all of a sudden? 

It's summer time and gas prices generally rise due to increased traveling. 

Nothing new to see here.

8 minutes ago, flyboy56 said:

Gas prices have gone up the past two year. It's not just a summer thing. Actually this week gas prices went down about 5-7 cents per gallon.

1 minute ago, NCBirdfan said:

Gas prices have gone up the past two year. It's not just a summer thing. Actually this week gas prices went down about 5-7 cents per gallon.

Demand for gas increases in the summer. It's certainly not the only reason because rising gas prices is due to many reasons. 

44 minutes ago, flyboy56 said:

But $3.00...What summer did YOU last see that?

3 minutes ago, prodigalson1 said:

But $3.00...What summer did YOU last see that?

It's not just American consumption involved

44 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Nothing new to see here.

What part from your post is nothing new to see?...

Demand hit a record 9.86 million barrels OR   analysts say the number could be artificially high because some exports may not have been reflected, which would have reduced the number.

Your highlight does not make clear which part is not new.

2 hours ago, Dystopia said:

I've heard that said which is what caused me to ask the question. 

2 hours ago, zenwalk said:

Bingo.  File this under miscellaneous blowback from electing an unstable moron president.

Wait till the tariffs kick in.