Ode2Joy

Supreme Court sides with baker in gay cake flap

211 posts in this topic

Supreme Court?

Who cares what they say?

Our President can just say, "Off with your head."

1 minute ago, michiganjoe said:

He really is dumb as dirt.

Funny, i read that "7-2 decision" part in the NBC article and thought, "huh, not so narrow". Sooooo....

Good decision.

8 minutes ago, michiganjoe said:

Who?

NBC for calling a 7-2 decision "narrow", or you for not getting what Trump meant by "not narrow"?

Its narrow from the standpoint that the court said that discrimination may only be exercised by those with sincere religious beliefs. Those with insincere beliefs are not included..

A narrowly drawn decision has absolutely nothing to do with the vote count.

2 minutes ago, hst2 said:

Its narrow from the standpoint that the court said that discrimination may only be exercised by those with sincere religious beliefs. Those with insincere beliefs are not included..

Okay well first off, I have no idea how one would determine and "insincere" religious belief from a "sincere" one, and second, it is unreasonable for NBC, AP, or whomever to expect lay people to interpret the word "narrow" in that way.

I did find this tweet from ACLU, hopefully it's legit.

Interesting.

It is the right call even though I don't agree with what Mr. Phillips is doing.  If he wants to put his religion ahead of doing business then that is up to him.   It is a terrible way to run a bakery.

Posted (edited)

Ahhhhhh maybe I am being picky here.... but the OP title says:  BREAKING: Supreme Court sides with baker in gay cake flap.

And the link is about an abortion case.  Then the baker.

Or do I need to see my eye doctor? :lol: Or someone needs a proof reader. :D

Edited by Guido2

16 minutes ago, com6063 said:

Good decision.

And if my sincere religious beliefs compel me to discriminate against Catholics?

2 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Ahhhhhh maybe I am being picky here.... but the OP title says:  BREAKING: Supreme Court sides with baker in gay cake flap.

And the link is about an abortion case. 

Or do I need to see my eye doctor? :lol:

No, that's what happened.

3 minutes ago, SemiAuto said:

It is the right call even though I don't agree with what Mr. Phillips is doing.  If he wants to put his religion ahead of doing business then that is up to him.   It is a terrible way to run a bakery.

Coming from a fellow who is mystified by the concept of white privilege, this is hardly surprising.

It’s my sincerely held religious belief that Trump is going to burn in hades and I should not follow the devil?

12 minutes ago, hst2 said:

And that is the way it should be.

Separation of church and state is a foundation of the US.

Besides making money...why do most people start their own business. IMO, because they don't like the way an employer runs the business they can potentially work for. 

2 minutes ago, Baltimatt said:

And if my sincere religious beliefs compel me to discriminate against Catholics?

Fortunately, this court does not affirm discrimination, yet. It appears to have ruled that the state must take the baker's absurd religious beliefs seriously before ruling against him.

26 minutes ago, michiganjoe said:

NBC is saying this 7-2 decision is “narrowly.” This is likely being done on purpose to make it look like those mean conservatives are responsible. NBC employees can get their cake made elsewhere. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna872946

15 minutes ago, Dystopia said:

Funny, i read that "7-2 decision" part in the NBC article and thought, "huh, not so narrow". Sooooo....

9 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

Who?

NBC for calling a 7-2 decision "narrow", or you for not getting what Trump meant by "not narrow"?

Defending Trump makes people look foolish, like Rudy:  :D  

"Narrow" means that it only applies to the facts in this case.

A ruling that is of limited application except to the parties in this case.

As has been explained, it has zero to do with the numbers.  It could be 9-0 and be a narrow ruling.

4 minutes ago, Baltimatt said:

Then I as a Catholic have every right not to patronize your business. You have the right to not baking my cake.....I have the right to take my money and find someone that will. Simple as that.

You can't tell me.....that in ALL of Colorado there is not ONE baker that could make that cake. 

No, sorry IMO....this whole thing was more about SJ's making a statement....not about the cake. 

5 minutes ago, hst2 said:

Coming from a fellow who is mystified by the concept of white privilege, this is hardly surprising.

Word garbage.   

Just now, Guido2 said:

Then I as a Catholic have every right not to patronize your business. You have the right to not baking my cake.....I have the right to take my money and find someone that will. Simple as that.

You can't tell me.....that in ALL of Colorado there is not ONE baker that could make that cake. 

No, sorry IMO....this whole thing was more about SJ's making a statement....not about the cake. 

So, should we scrap discrimination laws?

1 minute ago, Manny said:

NBC is saying this 7-2 decision is “narrowly.” This is likely being done on purpose to make it look like those mean conservatives are responsible. NBC employees can get their cake made elsewhere. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna872946

I believe it is considered narrowly decided because it pertains only to the way that the CO Civil Rights Commission handled this particular case.