Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ode2Joy

Supreme Court sides with baker in gay cake flap

211 posts in this topic

Just now, Guido2 said:

AAAAAHHHHHHHHH yyyyessssssss............byngo and thank you just proved my point. 

I didn't prove your point at all. And I didn't know this client at all the first time. He came off the street one day in his overalls. The office smelled of manure for a couple hours after he left. The smell eventually went away. I have people who come in here with 3-piece suits who we later end up having to take to court. The old saying  "you don't judge books by their cover" applies here. How someone looks on the outside does not determine their intrinsic worth.

1 minute ago, Norman said:

Jr shouldn't feel bad, some elected people didn't understand it too

Some people should get remedial help in unserstanding ratios. ..... 7-2........ain't close.....5-4 is close.

Posted (edited)

2 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Some people should get remedial help in unserstanding ratios. ..... 7-2........ain't close.....5-4 is close.

The decision was narrowly written, not narrowly decided.  If the Supreme Court voted unanimously that Guido should be able to buy Polish sausage at Giant, but Giant was not required to sell it to anyone else, that would be a narrow decision even though it was unanimous.  

Edited by Baltimatt

I think the Court was more interested in chastising  the Colorado Commission for treating the baker with such disdain than they were in declaring this to be discrimination.

3 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

If you are the ONLY bakery in town and there is none nearby or at all. It would not be alright.

So if a town in Mississippi has a single restaurant that serves black customers, all of the other restaurants in town can be "whites only" so long as the business owners assert their religious belief that "God" wants racial segregation?

1 minute ago, Baltimatt said:

The decision was narrowly written, not narrowly decided.

It’s not like someone didn’t already point that out 😂

Just now, bmore_ken said:

It’s not like someone didn’t already point that out 😂

I edited my post to give an example that maybe he will understand. :)

3 minutes ago, Saticon3 said:

Great ruling, but expected-- 7-2 also-- seems even a few of the more liberal Justices aren't quite as far out as the left "base" or lower court Judges-- you don't want any Muller- Trump- Russia issues going before SCOTUS, believe me. And every Trump one like travel bans, etc. will be reversed as well once they work their way to SCOTUS. But, we didn't even need Gorsuch on this one!

The court did not determine that discrimination in the cause of religion is constitutional.

2 minutes ago, NCBirdfan said:

I didn't prove your point at all. And I didn't know this client at all the first time. He came off the street one day in his overalls. The office smelled of manure for a couple hours after he left. The smell eventually went away. I have people who come in here with 3-piece suits who we later end up having to take to court. The old saying  "you don't judge books by their cover" applies here. How someone looks on the outside does not determine their intrinsic worth.

Okkkkkkaayyyyyyyy you really made me laugh.....and please take this as good nature comment that I am about to make. 

'Money has a funny way of doing that'. 

I like to believe I never judge a book by it's cover. But I have noted it exists. 

True story and similar to BMer. I had been doing a lot of yardwork and went to the dump. So I am pretty scruffy. I went into a gun shop...told the guy I am interested in a trap shotgun and what did they have. The rattles off some names and looks 'through me'.....so I am waiting for him to say 'well what do you have in mind....how about this nice Browning'....pull it down and let me look at it. Nope. I walked out.

Now this is damn bait/gun shop....the clerks are not exactly wearing button downs and wingtips. 

So it is all over. 

1 hour ago, Sprightly said:

I agree with this ruling.

So do I.

49 minutes ago, Baltimatt said:

So, should we scrap discrimination laws?

There's no need to do that.  This ruling does not affect anyone's protected rights in that state except the baker's.  Read the decision.

1 hour ago, Dystopia said:

Funny, i read that "7-2 decision" part in the NBC article and thought, "huh, not so narrow". Sooooo....

It's a "narrow" decision because of the scope of this ruling which is limited to this particular case and how the baker was not given a thorough and fair hearing by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission before it decided to railroad him and trample his rights in the process.

7 minutes ago, Baltimatt said:

The decision was narrowly written, not narrowly decided.  If the Supreme Court voted unanimously that Guido should be able to buy Polish sausage at Giant, but Giant was not required to sell it to anyone else, that would be a narrow decision even though it was unanimous.  

Good explanation.

5 minutes ago, regularguy said:

So if a town in Mississippi has a single restaurant that serves black customers, all of the other restaurants in town can be "whites only" so long as the business owners assert their religious belief that "God" wants racial segregation?

Yes.   Just as if you wanted to have a college fund that only provided scholarships to blacks that would be okay even if you were the only scholarship group in town.

If you really want to take a stand for freedom then you'll have to put up with some people behaving badly.  Keep the freedom, call out the bad people for what they are.

49 minutes ago, michiganjoe said:

Southerners attempted to use religious beliefs in their opposition to segregation. Court basically punted on the hard questions.

Colorado is in the south now?  

1 minute ago, Smokey 1 said:

That's not what he said.

1 minute ago, Smokey 1 said:

In the warped ideology of white privilege, aren't we all in the south now?

4 minutes ago, Smokey 1 said:

Oh boy, someone broke out the confederate bat signal and Smokey came running, cape and all. :D

Opens a can of worms for discrimination all around.  Welcome to trump's America.

Pretty soon they will find something in the Bible as to why they can't hire, serve , or rent an apartment to black people.

4 minutes ago, regularguy said:

Strawman.

Most religions profess acceptance and embracing all races. Notice I said profess aka 'on paper'. By the same token.....not many profess acceptance of an alternate sexual orientation again 'on paper'. Especially regarding marriage. 

Apples and oranges. 

But going with what you said......I think it would be more than suspect legally.....that the group of owners suddenly 'found this special religion' an use it as an excuse to segregate. That would get shot down in court in flames. 

However, if what you outlined had been the case.....and all the owners just happen to belong to 'this special religion' for decades and decades ....well it would be interesting. Why ....because....longevity of the belief is well documented. 

Again let me be very clear. I think morally that the baker should have baked the cake and say an extra prayer that night to relieve his soul. BUT on the other hand I don't think it is morally right or legally right that society dictate how someone runs there business as long as they are not doing any physical harm. 

2 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Okkkkkkaayyyyyyyy you really made me laugh.....and please take this as good nature comment that I am about to make. 

'Money has a funny way of doing that'. 

I like to believe I never judge a book by it's cover. But I have noted it exists. 

True story and similar to BMer. I had been doing a lot of yardwork and went to the dump. So I am pretty scruffy. I went into a gun shop...told the guy I am interested in a trap shotgun and what did they have. The rattles off some names and looks 'through me'.....so I am waiting for him to say 'well what do you have in mind....how about this nice Browning'....pull it down and let me look at it. Nope. I walked out.

Now this is damn bait/gun shop....the clerks are not exactly wearing button downs and wingtips. 

So it is all over. 

In my business we don't discriminate against anyone. We have clientele that consists of every ethnic group, racists/bigots, Muslims, Christians, LDSs, atheists, etc. The majority come in dressed appropriately. Some occasionally do not. I don't normally post scripture here but I will to show you where I stand on this:

33‘When a stranger resides with you in your land, you shall not do him wrong. 34‘The stranger who resides with you shall be to you as the native among you, and you shall love him as yourself... Leviticus 19:33-34 When someone comes to my business I treat him or her as family no matter where they are coming.

7 minutes ago, SemiAuto said:

Yes.   Just as if you wanted to have a college fund that only provided scholarships to blacks that would be okay even if you were the only scholarship group in town.

If you really want to take a stand for freedom then you'll have to put up with some people behaving badly.  Keep the freedom, call out the bad people for what they are.

Seeems a lot of colleges missed that memo. Many scholarships exclusively for blacks....whites need not apply. 

http://blackstudents.blacknews.com/

9 minutes ago, Smokey 1 said:

Apparently. They have six Confederate Monuments.

1 minute ago, NCBirdfan said:

In my business we don't discriminate against anyone. We have clientele that consists of every ethnic group, racists/bigots, Muslims, Christians, LDSs, atheists, etc. The majority come in dressed appropriately. Some occasionally do not. I don't normally post scripture here but I will to show you where I stand on this:

33‘When a stranger resides with you in your land, you shall not do him wrong. 34‘The stranger who resides with you shall be to you as the native among you, and you shall love him as yourself... Leviticus 19:33-34 When someone comes to my business I treat him or her as family no matter where they are coming.

Well do you mind giving me a hint as to what that business is? That would be helpful.

And thanks for the scripture post. Obviously you read the Bible and are very familiar with it. 

3 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Well do you mind giving me a hint as to what that business is? That would be helpful.

And thanks for the scripture post. Obviously you read the Bible and are very familiar with it. 

I am very familiar with it but for obvious reasons do not normally post verses in social media. And I prefer not to divulge too much more about my business other than I have more than one location and under 50 employees. I own a really small business, not to be confused for those businesses that got huge tax breaks from the Republican tax plan.

26 minutes ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

I think the Court was more interested in chastising  the Colorado Commission for treating the baker with such disdain than they were in declaring this to be discrimination.

Commission really just pointed out that religion has been used in the past to justify discrimination. Found Kennedy's reaction to the comment rather unusual.

58 minutes ago, michiganjoe said:

Desegregation or integration, take your pick.

Actually, some Southerner used their religious beliefs to support integration while others used them to support segregation.  All supposedly using the same Bible.