Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ode2Joy

Supreme Court sides with baker in gay cake flap

211 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

25 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

But going with what you said......I think it would be more than suspect legally.....that the group of owners suddenly 'found this special religion' an use it as an excuse to segregate. That would get shot down in court in flames. 

However, if what you outlined had been the case.....and all the owners just happen to belong to 'this special religion' for decades and decades ....well it would be interesting. Why ....because....longevity of the belief is well documented. 

There was no shortage of southern churches, a few decades ago, that espoused racial segregation on religious grounds. I'm guessing that this religious belief hasn't disappeared.

Based on a quick search, there's this: "In 1957, Dr. John Buchanan, a prominent pastor and Man of the Year in Birmingham, Alabama, defended racial division and told the Birmingham News, '[T]he good Lord set up the customs and practices of segregation.'”

Edited by regularguy
typo

Just now, Baltimatt said:

Actually, some Southerner used their religious beliefs to support integration while others used them to support segregation.  All supposedly using the same Bible.

The Bible has been used to push various peoples' agendas, some of which are even supported by the Bible. ;)

Just now, regularguy said:

There was no shortage of southern churches, a few decades ago, that espoused racial segregation on religious ground. I'm guessing that this religious belief hasn't disappeared.

Based on a quick search, there's this: "In 1957, Dr. John Buchanan, a prominent pastor and Man of the Year in Birmingham, Alabama, defended racial division and told the Birmingham News, '[T]he good Lord set up the customs and practices of segregation.'”

Unfortunately there are churches here that still spout racial doctrine and new ones have popped up lately. We have a church in our area that not only has a reputation as an all white church, it also has regular gun targeting competitions it sponsors.

4 minutes ago, NCBirdfan said:

Unfortunately there are churches here that still spout racial doctrine and new ones have popped up lately. We have a church in our area that not only has a reputation as an all white church, it also has regular gun targeting competitions it sponsors.

How about a church with sermons along the lines of '******* white america'?   I'm would not agree with that but I wouldn't prohibit it.  

Just now, SemiAuto said:

How about a church with sermons along the lines of '******* white america'?   I'm would not agree with that but I wouldn't prohibit it.  

I haven't seen that here in the south. And without any references to that I cannot make a comment.

4 minutes ago, SemiAuto said:

Sermons are free speech that the government can't prohibit. Discriminatory actions, however, may (or may not) be subject to prohibition under the law.

15 minutes ago, NCBirdfan said:

I haven't seen that here in the south. And without any references to that I cannot make a comment.

Fair enough.   I don't take the screeds of people like Louse Farrakhan seriously so I shouldn't expect you to.

Just now, SemiAuto said:

Fair enough.   I don't take the screeds of people like Louse Farrakhan seriously so I shouldn't expect you to.

Was that who you were quoting? I wasn't sure.

1 minute ago, NCBirdfan said:

Was that who you were quoting? I wasn't sure.

I don't feel like looking it up so I should have left the quotes out.    They guy preaches some hate but that is not on you.

25 minutes ago, NCBirdfan said:

Are you referring to the NOI? 

I hear they pretty much spout racial doctrine.  I don't think they perform gay weddings either. 

2 minutes ago, Ode2Joy said:

I hear they pretty much spout racial doctrine.  I don't think they perform gay weddings either. 

I understand they're not big on bar mitzvahs either .....

3 minutes ago, SemiAuto said:

I don't feel like looking it up so I should have left the quotes out.    They guy preaches some hate but that is not on you.

I was not trying to be facetious. I really was asking a question. And I'm not black, but I can see why blacks is a predominantly black church would say something along those lines. It's nothing I would say or condone for that matter. But I do understand their viewpoint.

I see that the NOI is still a big ole boogeyman for some people.

What's next, Moonies?

:lol:

Posted (edited)

27 minutes ago, NCBirdfan said:

I was not trying to be facetious. I really was asking a question. And I'm not black, but I can see why blacks is a predominantly black church would say something along those lines. It's nothing I would say or condone for that matter. But I do understand their viewpoint.

Do you "understand" their racism? Do you give it a pass?

Edited by Smokey 1

Just now, Smokey 1 said:

Do you "understand" their racism? 

It's not racism to make a statement against oppression. I would prefer they do it without vulgarity, but that's just me.

It's not racism to make a statement against oppression. I would prefer they do it without vulgarity, but that's just me.

Smoke Dawg never fails to entertain. 😂

That quote may be arguable but they were well known for their anti-Semitic and anti-white views.

6 minutes ago, Smokey 1 said:

Do you "understand" their racism? Do you give it a pass?

LOL! Go smoke dog - call OUT that racism!

Thanks for the chuckle.

2 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Smoke Dawg never fails to entertain. 😂

:D

1 hour ago, NCBirdfan said:

...We have a church in our area that not only has a reputation as an all white church...

1 hour ago, Ode2Joy said:

The NOI ...who knew... :o

Where'd you find that?!  In the Palmer Report? :P

#NoOthersAllowed

4 minutes ago, EL-FLIPPO said:

The NOI ...who knew... :o

Where'd you find that?!  In the Palmer Report? :P

#NoOthersAllowed

You know there are numerous all-white NOIs in the south. :D

1 hour ago, Dystopia said:

Can't blame anyone for interpreting "In narrow ruling, Supreme Court gives victory to baker who refused to make cake for gay wedding", to mean a 5-4 decision. It's a very poorly written headline. Politico got the headline correct: https://www.politico.com/story/2018/06/04/supreme-court-rules-narrowly-in-favor-of-colorado-baker-in-same-sex-wedding-case-620661

I haven’t had a chance to read the ruling. Does Colorado get to review the case in light of the ruling and determine the sincerity of the bakers belief?

I could go for a piece of carrot cake right now. All this cake talk is making me crave some.

Case with the same basic facts except an interracial couple would have had a very different outcome. Only thing the ruling shows is that homophobia is still socially acceptable to a significant degree.