Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Slidemaster

2018 Draft thread

55 posts in this topic

Just now, bleedingorangeandblack said:

Lol just want to be 1st in case by aome miracle he pans out

Not a chance.

They failed here.  They had their chance to pick the best pitcher in the first round after he fell into their laps and they passed on him for a guy who had to "rededicate himself to baseball" and "replaced fat with muscle."

Hobgood, through and through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

Lol just want to be 1st in case by aome miracle he pans out

I think I am in agreement with Slide here. I could think of at least 3 other pitchers I would have taken.  Only time will tell though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Slidemaster said:

Not a chance.

They failed here.  They had their chance to pick the best pitcher in the first round after he fell into their laps and they passed on him for a guy who had to "rededicate himself to baseball" and "replaced fat with muscle."

Hobgood, through and through.

You cant be surprised can you iys the new boreoriole way

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

You cant be surprised can you iys the new boreoriole way

I don't understand how I, as a fan who has done 10 minutes of research in the last week, can know more about who they should select then the person who's job it is to know EVERYTHING about every prospect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How the hell do the O's not pick Liberatore? He has a chance to be the next Chris Sale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

How the hell do the O's not pick Liberatore? He has a chance to be the next Chris Sale.

Because that would mean actually drafting a good player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

O's don't have another pick until the 3rd round.

They had a chance to pick possibly the best pitcher in the whole draft and they blew it.  Now they don't get another pick for nearly 80 more picks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Slidemaster said:

O's don't have another pick until the 3rd round.

They had a chance to pick possibly the best pitcher in the whole draft and they blew it.  Now they don't get another pick for nearly 80 more picks.

I thought we had a competitive balance round pick in the high 30's?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Slidemaster said:

O's don't have another pick until the 3rd round.

They had a chance to pick possibly the best pitcher in the whole draft and they blew it.  Now they don't get another pick for nearly 80 more picks.

It says on my draft tracker they have the 37th pick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NCBirdfan said:

It says on my draft tracker they have the 37th pick.

They do.  I overlooked that.

I still hate the pick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Slidemaster said:

They do.  I overlooked that.

I still hate the pick.

Maybe the Orioles will prove us all wrong.

Note: My wife in the other room wants to know why I am laughing hysterically.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NCBirdfan said:

Maybe the Orioles will prove us all wrong.

Note: My wife in the other room wants to know why I am laughing hysterically.

This is just par for the course.  This is why I want them to get a top 3 pick.  It's virtually impossible to screw those up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Slidemaster said:

Not a chance.

They failed here.  They had their chance to pick the best pitcher in the first round after he fell into their laps and they passed on him for a guy who had to "rededicate himself to baseball" and "replaced fat with muscle."

Hobgood, through and through.

I have no idea if this guy will pan out. History shows that most high school pitchers do not. But enough with using these pointless tidbits to try to make any kind of reasonable assessment of this guy. Let's recall you were freaking out about Gausman eating doughnuts between innings. These quotes mean nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jimmy Jazz said:

I have no idea if this guy will pan out. History shows that most high school pitchers do not. But enough with using these pointless tidbits to try to make any kind of reasonable assessment of this guy. Let's recall you were freaking out about Gausman eating doughnuts between innings. These quotes mean nothing.

How did Gausman turn out again?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Slidemaster said:

How did Gausman turn out again?

Please explain how his predilection for eating doughnuts between innings in college has had anything to do with his MLB career.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DaJellyBelly said:

37. Baltimore Orioles: SS Cadyn Grenier, Oregon State

Manny's replacement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DaJellyBelly said:

37. Baltimore Orioles: SS Cadyn Grenier, Oregon State

The rap is he's great defensively but a soft-contact hitter. His defense alone should be adequate for at least a utility role in the majors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Jimmy Jazz said:

Please explain how his predilection for eating doughnuts between innings in college has had anything to do with his MLB career.

Because you don't embark on a career as a professional athlete and take care of your body that way.  You dont consumer 2000 calories of donuts every start when your body is literally your career.  It speaks to someone's work ethic, common sense, and decision making.

Do you really not see a huge red flag in that this kid has already had to "re-dedicate himself to baseball" before he's even graduated from high school?  Do I have to go into why it's an issue for him to have a weight problem when his body is literally at the highest rate of metabolism it ever will be?

Maybe he will be good.  Nobody knows for certain at this stage.  What I DO know at this stage is that there were LOTS of other players I would have taken first, and from the sounds of it many others in the industry agree with me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope these are not the people who are going to oversee the rebuild. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Slidemaster said:

Compare these two picks:

15. Texas Rangers: RHP Cole Winn, Orange Lutheran (Calif.) HS
Winn is more polished than the typical high schooler, but we shouldn't sell his stuff short. He's got a low-90s fastball that hits 96, a pair of quality breaking balls and some feel for a changeup. He's got an exceptionally high floor for a prep pitcher.

16. Tampa Bay Rays: LHP Matthew Liberatore, Mountain Ridge (Ariz.) HS
I'm stunned that Liberatore lasted this long, because I think you could have argued for him going as early as No. 2 overall. His stuff is so advanced that he's more like a college pitcher than a high school one. Liberatore already has four solid pitches that could become plus pitches as his 6-foot-5 frame gets stronger. He has tremendous feel for pitching -- and a lot of moxie.

 

With this one...

11. Baltimore Orioles: RHP Grayson Rodriguez, Central Heights (Texas) HS
Rodriguez's stuff took off over the past year as he got in better shape, and his stock improved accordingly. His best pitch is a heavy 92-94 mph fastball that will break bats, and both his slider and curveball are solid options.

Gee, I wonder if the O's reached.

They can't even tank correctly.

What is wrong with this organization!?? I had read Liberatore was an absolute no brainer.  This disgusts me 

Edited by BayAreaBmore

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, BayAreaBmore said:

What is wrong with this organization!?? I had read Liberatore was an absolute no brainer.  This disgusts me 

I'm not that upset that the Orioles didn't draft him. The pitching coaches in the Orioles' organization, would most likely have ruined him anyway. :P:mad::rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, DaJellyBelly said:

I'm not that upset that the Orioles didn't draft him. The pitching coaches in the Orioles' organization, would most likely have ruined him anyway. :P:mad::rolleyes:

Haha true but they drafted another pitcher anyway!  Feel bad for that kid 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

People read a couple of pre-draft articles and suddenly they're experts. 

Just for the record, Keith Law had Rodriguez going to the Pirates at No. 10 in his latest mock draft. The only thing I can say about this pick is he's a high schooler, and the Orioles have a poor record of developing starting pitchers. At least a college pitcher would have been a little further along in his development.

Edited by mdrunning

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0