Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Slidemaster

2018 Draft thread

55 posts in this topic

I don't really think it matters who they pick.  The Orioles have shown no ability to consistently develop pitching so it might as well have been the next Roger Clemens.  The Orioles would have turned him into Ben McDonald.  The real need is for the team to be sold to competent ownership who will overhaul the entire organization from the top down.  Until then long periods of bottom of the league baseball with the occasional head above water season or two will be the norm.  

30 minutes ago, cprenegade said:

I don't really think it matters who they pick.  The Orioles have shown no ability to consistently develop pitching so it might as well have been the next Roger Clemens.  The Orioles would have turned him into Ben McDonald.  The real need is for the team to be sold to competent ownership who will overhaul the entire organization from the top down.  Until then long periods of bottom of the league baseball with the occasional head above water season or two will be the norm.  

I agree. The organization has been run on a shoestring budget, cutting corners everywhere throughout the system. The results can and should be expected, save some miracle. While the Orioles have spent more at the ML level (not wisely, but they have been spending a bit more in recent years), they give away international bonus money like it's candy, they are hopelessly understaffed in the scouting and development departments, and they have no true vision for the present and future. Their marketing scheme is to sign a few big named players (usually past their prime) to draw in the crowds. And when they do sign a player to a multi-million dollar contract, by golly that player is going to play regardless of performance.

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, mdrunning said:

People read a couple of pre-draft articles and suddenly they're experts. 

Just for the record, Keith Law had Rodriguez going to the Pirates at No. 10 in his latest mock draft. The only thing I can say about this pick is he's a high schooler, and the Orioles have a poor record of developing starting pitchers. At least a college pitcher would have been a little further along in his development.

It's just fun speculation. Nobody (even the so-called "experts" ) really know how any of the players will develop. There have been many "sure things" that floundered and some "why did they pick him" players that exceed expectations.

Remember Mark Appel? And Matt Bush was the #1 overall pick in 2004 and never made it to the majors. So, we don't really know if the Orioles picks are good or bad until probably 4-5 years down the road.

Edited by NCBirdfan

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 7:13 PM, Slidemaster said:

Casey Mize goes to the Tigers, to the surprise of nobody.

Because of this thread, I read a short article about him in the Detroit Free Press. 

He played HS ball for the Springfield Tigers, and then college ball for the Auburn Tigers.  He should fit right in with his new team ;-)

7 hours ago, ChippewaJoe said:

Because of this thread, I read a short article about him in the Detroit Free Press. 

He played HS ball for the Springfield Tigers, and then college ball for the Auburn Tigers.  He should fit right in with his new team ;-)

That's a fun coincidence :)