soulflower

President Trump cancels White House invitation for Super Bowl champion Eagles

189 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Papi said:

Actually the belief that some people were inherently inferior to others was the norm of that time, unfortunately. People who did not agree with that norm were thought to be outside of the mainstream of civilization.

Just as today, people who still hold on to a belief of superiority of one race over another are looked at as being outside of the mainstream of our 21st century civilization. 

If one want's to define 17th century civilization as essentially racist, I can agree with you. But that is different that suggesting that every member of that society, or even most of them, were individually "racists" by the 21st century meaning of the word. They were born, lived, and died in an environment that said the "correct" view of the world was one of the inferiority of certain races, or segments of races (as in some "superior" African tribes choosing to sell "inferior" tribes into slavery). Thankfully civilization has evolved (or at least some of it has) beyond such beliefs, and today you and I (and I believe the majority of people) no longer accept the "superior versus inferior" concept because that is what we have learned from the civilization in which we live. We believe we are correct, just as the folks in the 17th century thought they were. It is what they "knew".  

Read up on the Constitutional Convention.  Many of the delegates opposed slavery and wanted that written into the document.  Unfortunately it was a deal killer for the south.  So the idea that there was consensus re slavery is incorrect. 

Talk about a misleading statement on the part of Trump:

These fans are still invited to the White House to be part of a different type of ceremony - one that will honor our great country, pay tribute to the heroes who fight to protect it, and loudly and proudly play the National Anthem.

WEEEEEEE aalllllllll know what it will be.....30 seconds of God Bless America..... the remaining 59min 30 seconds about how great he is and how many wonderful things he has done....how the investigation is a hoax....and media only reports 'fake news'.

Tell me that is not the truth.

2 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Talk about a misleading statement on the part of Trump:

These fans are still invited to the White House to be part of a different type of ceremony - one that will honor our great country, pay tribute to the heroes who fight to protect it, and loudly and proudly play the National Anthem.

WEEEEEEE aalllllllll know what it will be.....30 seconds of God Bless America..... the remaining 59min 30 seconds about how great he is and how many wonderful things he has done....how the investigation is a hoax....and media only reports 'fake news'.

Tell me that is not the truth.

It's always about him.  Tiresome fool. 

11 minutes ago, ms maggie said:

Read up on the Constitutional Convention.  Many of the delegates opposed slavery and wanted that written into the document.  Unfortunately it was a deal killer for the south.  So the idea that there was consensus re slavery is incorrect. 

They should have held to their beliefs and had slavery made illegal in the Constitution.  So what if some colonies wouldn't have signed on for that reason.

1 minute ago, ms maggie said:

It's always about him.  Tiresome fool. 

I don't even bother listening to his speeches anymore....same thing....I am great...I am perfect ....everybody else is wrong. And if he did/does say something that is topical ....well if he say A.....it will be B...by tomorrow or by the next tweet-athon. And Huckleberry is another waste of my time and the planets resources. 

19 minutes ago, Papi said:

They were born, lived, and died in an environment that said the "correct" view of the world was one of the inferiority of certain races, or segments of races...

In other words they believed what they were told.

In that regard, time is of no consequence.

1 minute ago, Smokey 1 said:

They should have held to their beliefs and had slavery made illegal in the Constitution.  So what if some colonies wouldn't have signed on for that reason.

You do realize that many of the forefathers were the forerunners of big business today. Do you think fore-busi. would want to loose valuable assets and reduce profitablilty ....nope. No more than big busi. does today. See EPA as a starter. 

Posted (edited)

7 minutes ago, EL-FLIPPO said:

In other words they believed what they were told.

In that regard, time is of no consequence.

Yup ....just like many things we believe because we are told TODAY! I wonder what we believe today as being right and correct will still be considered  right and correct 100 or 50 or even 25 years from now....this moment.

Time is part of EVERY CONSEQUENCE.!!!!!!!!!!

When the first A bomb was dropped......at the time...everyone is happy because it ended the war. There may have been misgivings by the scientists but overall...I am sure the collective US was relieved

Clock ticks....time passes.

Are we still relieved that we have A bombs.

I rest my case. 

Edited by Guido2

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Papi said:

No defense of that era, but branding people of that era as "racist" in today's context fails to recognize the reality of that era. Those people did not look at themselves as being "racist" as we would define it today - they viewed themselves as adhering to the norms of the time, which very clearly had an un-evolved perception of racial differences. This is evidenced by the fact that most colonial era transplants from England or Europe regarded the Native Americans as "savages", with no clue as to the ancient culture that those Native Americans actually possessed, which in many ways was a rich as the ancient culture of Europe. It was what it was, and things have evolved. 

Just because racism was accepted in their era doesn't mean that they weren't racist. In fact many were.  It didn't make them any different than racists today...just that racists were in higher numbers then and mainstream society entertained those racist beliefs.

Edited by NCBirdfan

4 minutes ago, NCBirdfan said:

Just because racism was accepted in their era doesn't mean that they weren't racist. In fact many were.  It didn't make them any different than racists today...just that racists were in higher numbers then and main stream society entertained those racist beliefs.

And all this discussion about 'back then' does......ahhhhh....what?

It is what it was.

Get over it.

7 minutes ago, NCBirdfan said:

Just because racism was accepted in their era doesn't mean that they weren't racist. In fact many were.  It didn't make them any different than racists today...just that racists were in higher numbers then and mainstream society entertained those racist beliefs.

Indeed. they had to create their concept of race and codify it in law in order to sustain their racism.

Just now, Guido2 said:

And all this discussion about 'back then' does......ahhhhh....what?

It is what it was.

Get over it.

Racists would love people to get over it. It's a battle between good and evil. The people on the side of good should never get over it.

5 minutes ago, NCBirdfan said:

Racists would love people to get over it. It's a battle between good and evil. The people on the side of good should never get over it.

I think somethings you and yours have to shake.

You act like all whites are racist. Which is not true. Or you imply or come flat out and say ....that  whites are accountable and should be lumped in due to a very small percentage of whites that are racist. Your way back machine thinking substantiates that previous line. 

26 minutes ago, NCBirdfan said:

Pretending history didn't happen is the American way.  It's much easier for simple minds to always accept that the US are the good guys and everyone else is bad.

1 hour ago, Papi said:

Actually the belief that some people were inherently inferior to others was the norm of that time

It still makes them racists. As the saying goes if you put lipstick on a pig it's still a pig. You can justify it in semantics all you want, they were still racists regardless of the time. 

4 hours ago, Papi said:

So you're saying that the founding fathers and people who chose to fight in the American Revolution were "racist white Americans"? Really?

Does your anti-white racism know no bounds of decency? Just curious....

Did they have slaves?

Their loss. Snowflakes can settle for the cool Chucky Schumer, who was convinced he was going to be Majority leader

9 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

It still makes them racists. As the saying goes if you put lipstick on a pig it's still a pig. You can justify it in semantics all you want, they were still racists regardless of the time. 

I agree.

The only difference is that more Whites subscribed (or acquiesced) to that viewpoint back then.

That reduces the debate to just a numbers Game.

It's like a whiny 12 year old making up excuses for why no one wanted to show up at his birthday.

8 minutes ago, Marshan Man said:

What is wrong with these people?? Smh

Trump probably didn't want to be around so many men with big hands. 

So, the spin now is, the Eagles intended to abandon their fans. It had nothing to do with the new league rule requiring the players to bow to the will of the Emperor.  Only in Trumpsylvania. 

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, Papi said:

So you're saying that the founding fathers and people who chose to fight in the American Revolution were "racist white Americans"? Really?

Does your anti-white racism know no bounds of decency? Just curious....

Well many of them were,... hell I'd say 99.9999% were! Didn't you read any history? This country was founded and grew, both economically and geographically, on the back of racism and the false premise of white supremacy. Where have you been Papi?

Edited by ericpd

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, ivanbalt said:

It's like a whiny 12 year old making up excuses for why no one wanted to show up at his birthday.

Hahaha! exactly! You just nailed it! 

Edited by ericpd