Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OldBallCoach

McD drops SFA

65 posts in this topic

Bruce Cunningham (@Bruce45Sports)
6/4/18, 9:12 PM
Yet another MIAA school is refusing to play St Frances in football this fall. Tonight, McDonogh sent out an email to it's athletic community announcing it will opt out. Citing player safety issues, the Eagles join Loyola, Mount St Joseph and Calvert Hall in dropping St Frances.

Story growing legs now this is a complete attack on the leagues leadership as well as SF . I personally feel bad for the kids down there 

57 minutes ago, OldBallCoach said:

Bruce Cunningham (@Bruce45Sports)
6/4/18, 9:12 PM
Yet another MIAA school is refusing to play St Frances in football this fall. Tonight, McDonogh sent out an email to it's athletic community announcing it will opt out. Citing player safety issues, the Eagles join Loyola, Mount St Joseph and Calvert Hall in dropping St Frances.

I thought GA said this wouldn’t happen. 

8 minutes ago, Oldtime said:

Next GA will brag that Gilman was the last league team to drop SFA...how courageous...lol.

6 minutes ago, Impartialfan said:

Next GA will brag that Gilman was the last league team to drop SFA...how courageous...lol.

😂😂😂😂

2 hours ago, Oldtime said:

Never said nothing about McDonogh not dropping them. I said that Gilman will not drop them, unless the league tells them they have to. They’re at the league meeting right now, so we will see what happens. 

To me this seems to prove what some are saying this is about sending a message to the league start enforcing  rules.

5 hours ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

Never said nothing about McDonogh not dropping them. I said that Gilman will not drop them, unless the league tells them they have to. They’re at the league meeting right now, so we will see what happens. 

“McDonoghand Gilman are still playing them, and I hear it’s staying that way” , someone else must be positng under you name. 

2 hours ago, OldBallCoach said:

To me this seems to prove what some are saying this is about sending a message to the league start enforcing  rules.

Wont happen 

The lax community would blow a gasket 

I don't think there are nearly as many Lax transfers as you seem to think. 

33 minutes ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

Wont happen 

The lax community would blow a gasket 

LOL, most lax players switch schools after 8th grades and those who transfer after playing varsity sit out a year. Occasionally a player will move (there are no sham moves for lax) the requisite 30 + miles and be granted a waiver. 

Comparing this to lax in MIAA is desperate attempt to justify the mockery that Poggi and staff made of the transfer rule.  Not even close. Lax players live here.  This is hotbed.  99% are in their respective schools as 9th graders.  Amazing how people continue to justify the SFA debacle.  SFA Football is up $hitcreek without a paddle and has lost all respect of Maryland football community.  They’ve burned a lot of bridges in 2 years.  I wonder if those 2 championships are worth it now.

2 minutes ago, Bully said:

Comparing this to lax in MIAA is desperate attempt to justify the mockery that Poggi and staff made of the transfer rule.  Not even close. Lax players live here.  This is hotbed.  99% are in their respective schools as 9th graders.  Amazing how people continue to justify the SFA debacle.  SFA Football is up $hitcreek without a paddle and has lost all respect of Maryland football community.  They’ve burned a lot of bridges in 2 years.  I wonder if those 2 championships are worth it now.

As a current public school coach I can say....Bingo

I agree completely re: lax transfers - that's pretty rare in HS

12 minutes ago, Bully said:

The only thing I would add is that Poggi has been burning bridges for a lot longer than 2 years.  The MIAA-A and City schools hate him for obvious reasons, but don't forget he hired McGreggor away from DM and brought Cockerille, the Big-33 debacle, burning bridges on the way out of Gilman, etc.

Agree with what a lot of people are saying here. I think that the member schools are saying to the MIAA is clean up the way you police the league. I would think if they don't you will see some type of new league formed with much stronger leadership

1 hour ago, sparky1 said:

I don't think there are nearly as many Lax transfers as you seem to think. 

I used lax as an example because they are the only sport with as many players as football

31 minutes ago, gillytech said:

The only thing I would add is that Poggi has been burning bridges for a lot longer than 2 years.  The MIAA-A and City schools hate him for obvious reasons, but don't forget he hired McGreggor away from DM and brought Cockerille, the Big-33 debacle, burning bridges on the way out of Gilman, etc.

These actionsagainst SFA are looking more personal than anything

1 hour ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

These actionsagainst SFA are looking more personal than anything

100%

What it looks like is the other A conference schools have asked for the last 2 years for the MIAA to step in and police the out of control transfer/poaching actions of SFA. MIAA buried it's head in the sand, so the A conference members decided to handle it themselves because they were left with no other choice. This is all a self inflicted wound for the SFA Coaching staff. Players are unfortunately victims of collateral damage.

3 hours ago, mop said:

LOL, most lax players switch schools after 8th grades and those who transfer after playing varsity sit out a year. Occasionally a player will move (there are no sham moves for lax) the requisite 30 + miles and be granted a waiver. 

Switching schools after the 8th grade year isnt transferring. Its just enrolling in high school. 

Why can’t the schools just vote to remove the  commissioner, appoint a new one, a rules board, and enforce the rules going forward. 

As McDonogh rules not to play SF they also lose star freshmen LB Penn to Dematha I think this is a big blow to a already put together squad 

3 hours ago, GOOCH said:

As McDonogh rules not to play SF they also lose star freshmen LB Penn to Dematha I think this is a big blow to a already put together squad 

Gooch

Penn coming down where the comp is thick.

Well I wish him the best cause he will be tested week in and week out y’all might get some SF defectors too cause I’m hearing Corums having second thoughts