Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Thirteen

Sub-.200

10 posts in this topic

I just stumbled on something interesting.  The last qualified (3.1 plate appearances per team games) MLB player to end a season batting under .200 was Chris Davis, at .196 in 2014.

Currently, there NINE players with the requisite plate appearances and a sub-.200 average.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/batting/_/order/false

And Billy Hamilton only has 10 steals.  What the hell is happening to this game?

The stolen base seems to be gradually going away.

Davis is pretty special.

Lowest average, lowest slugging, second lowest obp, and lowest WAR.

$23 million doesn't buy what it used to.

I was irrationally angry when I saw ESPN (?) advertising for the "Junior HR Derby" recently.  That's it, keep teaching the next generation that HRs are all that matter.

The Orioles have become a difficult watch in recent years, because as even some said when they were winning and competitive, the games are frankly BORING.  You're waiting for a HR and that's about it.  Granted, a HR can be an exciting thing... but the game as a whole is so much more enjoyable when it's not (basically) the ONLY thing worthy of a highlight each night.  

I have noticed there are quite a few veterans having horrible seasons.

4 hours ago, Thirteen said:

I just stumbled on something interesting.  The last qualified (3.1 plate appearances per team games) MLB player to end a season batting under .200 was Chris Davis, at .196 in 2014.

Currently, there NINE players with the requisite plate appearances and a sub-.200 average.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/batting/_/order/false

And Billy Hamilton only has 10 steals.  What the hell is happening to this game?

What are you complaining about? A record's a record. Fans will be piling into OPACY just to se the hitless wonder!

6 hours ago, Ravens2006 said:

I was irrationally angry when I saw ESPN (?) advertising for the "Junior HR Derby" recently.  That's it, keep teaching the next generation that HRs are all that matter.

The Orioles have become a difficult watch in recent years, because as even some said when they were winning and competitive, the games are frankly BORING.  You're waiting for a HR and that's about it.  Granted, a HR can be an exciting thing... but the game as a whole is so much more enjoyable when it's not (basically) the ONLY thing worthy of a highlight each night.  

I agree with you 100% and I said the same thing during the steroid era.  The suspense and excitement of watching a homerun is gone now.  You sit there and go, "so what?  Next."  The difference being of course that at least 20 years ago, there were still players drawing walks, hitting to all fields and stealing bases in addition to all the homeruns.   

If ends the season under .150, maybe that can become the Davis Line.

51 minutes ago, Jimmy Jazz said:

If ends the season under .150, maybe that can become the Davis Line.

Other than himself in the ensuing four years, I can't imagine anyone else ever approaching it.

29 minutes ago, Thirteen said:

Other than himself in the ensuing four years, I can't imagine anyone else ever approaching it.

Depends if Buck returns as manager.  Any other manager would remove that kind of player from the lineup.