Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
weird-O

Bordick interview

2 posts in this topic

Something has changed in the way the local media/analysts discuss the Orioles. Palmer has always been honest in his evaluation of the team, so that's not new. And Brit has also been honest in her reporting. Of all the folks who write about and cover the O's, she has long been the one I have the most respect for, and confidence, when it comes to her articles/tweets. But this season is different. Recently, she has been full on mocking the team. For example, after a recent rainout, she tweeted, "It's 8:00 and the O's aren't losing". BTW, I love that she's having fun with it. The team deserves it.  

I heard a taped interview with Mike Bordick, on the Fan. We're all familiar with PacMan's kissing up to ownership. No criticism here. The man's gotta make a living. And he is a good guy to have as the roving in field coach. But he was not shying away from any of the questions. For example, when asked if he thought signing Hanley Ramirez would be a good idea, he bursted out in laughter. After containing himself, he said, no that would not be a good idea. Unless the O's felt that he would get back to his old form, and they could trade him at the deadline.

He was asked about potential moves and the future of the team. He said, if there is a plan, he hasn't heard about it. Nor has he seen any sign that there's a cohesive plan in place. Nor does he have any idea who would be involved with or leading that plan. Without using the word, he was saying the FO is dysfunctional and not moving in any kind of organized direction. Speaking on the subject of trades, he said the FO waited too long. And it's obviously a massive distraction in the clubhouse. He said the players will tell you it isn't a distraction, but it is, and he can see it in every game. He said there's no leadership in the clubhouse. And this next part tugs at my heartstrings. He said AJ has been the Cap't, but he has relinquished that role. Bordick said it was a move where AJ wants to see one of the young guys take the lead, but he didn't try too hard to hide what he was really saying. AJ is done in Baltimore, and he knows it. And since this season is done, he's now just showing up for work. He no longer has a stake in the outcome of the Orioles. 

I wonder what has happened, that so many dependent people are now being more forthright with their true opinions of the organization.    

I had to laugh when Bordick and Hunter were talking about the draft.  They kept saying how the Orioles need infield depth but never mentioned the elephant in the room.