Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kandace

African American Doctors Choosing To Study Medicine In Cuba

31 posts in this topic

In the countryside of western Havana, during the fall, rickety yellow buses carry first-year medical students from the Latin American School of Medicine. Wearing short-sleeved white smocks and stethoscopes, they go door to door, doing rounds, often speaking to their patients in broken Spanish. “Even people whose houses I wasn’t visiting sometimes would ask me to take their blood pressure, because they just saw me in the street,” Nimeka Phillip, an American who graduated from the school in 2015, told me. The Latin American School of Medicine, or E.L.A.M., was established by the Cuban government, in 1999, after a series of natural disasters, including Hurricane Mitch, left vulnerable populations in Central America and the Caribbean in dire need of health care. This year, in the aftermath of hurricane season, hundreds of Cuban health workers, many of them E.L.A.M. graduates, will travel to some of the hardest-hit areas of the Atlantic to treat the injured and sick. All of the students who attend E.L.A.M. are international. Many come from Asia, Africa, and the United States. The school’s mission is to recruit students from low-income and marginalized communities, where they are encouraged to return, after they graduate, to practice medicine.

In the U.S., black and Latino students represent approximately six per cent of medical-school graduates each year. By contrast, nearly half of E.L.A.M.’s American graduates are black, and a third are Latino. “You would never see those numbers” in the U.S., Melissa Barber, another American E.L.A.M. graduate, told me.  “You would never see those numbers” in the U.S., Melissa Barber, another American E.L.A.M. graduate, told me. Barber is a program coördinator at the Interreligious Foundation for Community Organization, in Harlem, which recruits American students for E.L.A.M. Applicants with college-level science backgrounds and the requisite G.P.A. go through an interview process with the organization. Those who make the cut are then recommended to E.L.A.M. The school accepted its first American applicants in 2001, a year after a delegation from the Congressional Black Caucus, whose leadership included Representatives Bennie Thompson and Barbara Lee, travelled to Cuba and held talks with the Ministry of Education about the need for doctors in rural black communities, and the financial obstacles that make it difficult for low-income and minority students to enroll in American medical schools. While some nations pay for their students to attend E.L.A.M., Fidel Castro decided that Americans, like Haitians and students from poor African countries, should attend for free.

Castro had a great concept.  If it wasn't for America's meddling Cuba would've thrived under Fidel Castro. The racists always have to meddle in the business of non-whites. Their wickedness makes them afraid of anyone who gains a little power thinking those people have the same wicked heart as theirs.  They are usually wrong.

8 hours ago, EgyptKang said:

Castro had a great concept.  If it wasn't for America's meddling Cuba would've thrived under Fidel Castro. The racists always have to meddle in the business of non-whites. Their wickedness makes them afraid of anyone who gains a little power thinking those people have the same wicked heart as theirs.  They are usually wrong.

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/24/opinion/sunday/for-blacks-in-cuba-the-revolution-hasnt-begun.html

I can't seem to copy this article from 2013, but black Cubans are still woefully behind white Cubans.  And what makes you think US meddling was a result of racism against non-whites?

Kandace

How many US Americans are studying medicine in Cuba?  I didn't see that number?

Was this thread about Cuba actually tagged with "Land of Opportunity" :confused:

Sweetie, you have a lot to learn about how minorities are treated in Cuba.  It has nothing to do with American meddling.

The limited statistics available, suggest that Afro Cubans live in the most neglected parts of the urban areas, especially in Havana. Of Cuba's large prison population of 100,000, approximately 70 per cent are estimated to be Afro Cubans They have also been economically marginalized and in keeping with the colonial tradition of itinerant trading they have had to create their own income generating opportunities. This is particularly in the informal sector and in the ‘underground' economy that surrounds the tourist industry.

Since ‘white' Cubans largely dominate the emerging capitalist sector, historical prejudices ensure that Afro-Cubans are not sought out to be included in startup entrepreneurial ventures either as managers or workers. As a result, Afro-Cubans receive little of the hard currency now essential for buying basic consumer items that are needed for everyday survival and a decent quality of life. Afro-Cubans have not, for example, been widely represented in the higher echelons of the ruling Communist Party nor in the upper levels of the civil service or state industries. And, with few exceptions, Afro-Cuban women have not yet reached the highest professional strata.

It could therefore be said that as far as the economic sector is concerned the revolution has failed to live up to its promise to help Afro Cubans realize their fullest potential. Given its genesis as a plantation society it could be said that the legacy of enslavement and racism remains deeply embedded in the caste and class determined social structure regardless of the economic model Cuba has chosen to follow.

http://minorityrights.org/minorities/afro-cubans/

12 hours ago, EgyptKang said:

I bet you thought Cuba wasn't a majority white country when you posted this, ROFLMAO!

17 minutes ago, alienrace said:

I bet you thought Cuba wasn't a majority white country when you posted this, ROFLMAO!

B ... b... but they speak Spanish!

13 hours ago, EgyptKang said:

Why do you people admire that thug Castro so much?

Just now, Manny said:

Why don't you just ask him why he may say such things?  He can only speak for himself, not for his supposed people.

6 minutes ago, Baltimatt said:

Why don't you just ask him why he may say such things?  He can only speak for himself, not for his supposed people.

Lefties in general admire Castro. 

2 minutes ago, Manny said:

That's nice

1 hour ago, Manny said:

People who support communism love Castro.

2 hours ago, Manny said:

Really? Proof?

Anecdote Alert:  A friend of mine was an early tourist there and was nearly killed by Cuban medicine.  He remained sick for about 6 months after returning home.  But it was free to be nearly killed.  

1 hour ago, Smokey 1 said:

People who support communism love Castro.

Meanwhile, the GOP has become the Party of Putin.

4 hours ago, alienrace said:

:D:lol::D

4 hours ago, Manny said:

Simple Castro hated America ….particularly white America and it's capitalism.

That's a no brainer. 

1 hour ago, hst2 said:

Meanwhile, the GOP has become the Party of Putin.

Andn 1%ers….can't forget them.

Wait, do US black folks really like Castro? Cuba? Is this a thing that I've missed out on? And I have tried to keep on these issues over the years. I used to subscribe to The Source. I have Complex on my news feed. Am I learning something new???

1 hour ago, ms maggie said:

Really? Proof?

I think he meant uber-left progressive thinkers …...like HST. :D

3 minutes ago, ms maggie said:

So your proof that "Lefties in general" are pro Castro is one person?

Seriously?

To people like Manny, unfortunately yes.

And yeah he actually said "you people" too. But just on the internet. He'd NEVER say anything like that to a person of color in real life.

15 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

To people like Manny, unfortunately yes.

And yeah he actually said "you people" too. But just on the internet. He'd NEVER say anything like that to a person of color in real life.

Mx. Pickle, you people denotes you lefties. And if anyone has racist leanings, it’s you, not me.