Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pepper

Putting down the dog

24 posts in this topic

So, the real Pepper is gone as of yesterday. 15 years of really good living, for her and us. 

For anyone thats approaching this time with their pet, I'd really recommend a service called "Peaceful Passage". They actually come to your home to euthanize your dog, so you don't have to go to the vet. Pepper was given a sedative which kicked in within a minute or so, and she layed down on her own blanket, and she went out as comfortable as is possible. It's very removed from the clinical, smelly environment of the vets office. Granted, her blanket was a bit smelly, but it was her smell, so thats cool. No other barking dogs or people getting their pups nails trimmed, just us and the home.

As soon as I heard of this company, I was sold, no matter the cost. But while our regular vet wanted $300 to put her down, this cost $410. Considering what she's given us, I'd have gladly payed double that. The vet was super sweet (think of the best hospice type nurses) and gave us all the time we needed. 

To any interested...

https://peacefulpassage.net/

I am very sorry to hear the news about your Pepper. Said this many times, but it always rings true: To know the devotion and companionship of a dog is to know one of life's genuine joys. It means thousands of great days, and one awful one--saying goodbye.

Rest in peace, Pepper. 

Run free, Pepper .

I read somewhere that a dog's helpless devotion to its owner is eased greatly when that devotion is reciprocated. You did good,Pepper. I'm sorry for your loss... 

Sorry for your loss, pepper.

Losing a pet is always devastating.

Could there be such a place?

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Oh, I do hope so.

Pepper, so sorry for your loss.  Our pets are the best part of our family, they love unconditionally.  I recently found a vet down here in SC that makes house calls, and ironically enough she's from Baltimore.  When the time comes we'll keep Sadie comfortable in the place she knows. She just turned 11 so hopefully she'll be with us many more years. 

Posted (edited)

I’m so sorry for your loss Pepper. 

Thank you for the link. I hated taking our Charlie to the vet to be put down for the very reasons mentioned in your post. 

Edited by PinkFlamingo

Sorry as well. Few things are as rotten as losing a loyal pet.

My sincere condolences on your loss.

22 hours ago, WKDWZD said:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Beautiful. The Persian poet/ mystic Rumi once wrote something less specific to animals but similar in sentiment. And then I rewrote it :P

"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. And someday, I will meet you there."

Thanks for the thoughts. Today we're doing a through cleaning of the rugs, etc.. I give it less than a year.

Sorry for your loss p. Went through it several months ago. Waiting for the phone call as the last two found us first. 

Had to put down my Mom's dog several years after she passed. That little Bichon lived a whole 18yrs with the family Longer than any of the family pets we had. It was one of the hardest things I ever had to do but she was starting to go downhill bad that last year. I held her when the vet gave her the shot and told her she was going to see Mommy & Daddy.

We had to put one of our  rescue cats down last week. He was only 9 years old, "Lobo", we kept the name that the Humane Society gave him. He came to us when he was about 1 1/2 years old.. Indoor cats can live into their mid-to late teens.  We took him to the vet back in October, found that he had pancreatitis, and we gladly spent over 2K to get him back home. We did everything we could to help him, and it worked, for a while, but it came back and we did what had to be done.   I was with him when they gave him the shot at the vet's office, (it wasn't an easy thing to endure, and not the first time)  and we had him cremated. For the time being, he's in a little rosewood box near his favorite window.  We brought in another rescue cat at the same time as Lobo (humane society name: "Mountain Dew" i.e; high energy, lol) , and to this day, his adopted brother cat still looks for him.

Cats, dogs, critters in general, they're pets, they're family.  

Pepper, rest in peace. 

Sorry for your loss, Pepper.

Sad day indeed, sorry to hear it pepper....

We always have large dogs, mostly rescue labs/retrievers and they seem to not live as long and we have to deal with this every 10 or 12 years .....

The 80s, the 90s, the 00s and the 10s memories are all special and defined by our kids and a special dog each decade ....

Bruce said it best years ago and again on here about the thousands of great days and 1 terrible one when you love a pet .....

Very sorry for your loss and may Pepper run free.

I'm sorry for your loss, pepper.

Very sorry to read this.  Although it is obviously hard I think we can all see that Pepper the poster and Pepper the dog both gave and got a lot out of their time together,

When I look at my dogs I wonder what I was thinking when I didn't have dogs.  It is amazing to see the love and devotion that they have for a good owner.  The connection can't be overstated.  Thanks for the tip on the service too.  My older dog just crossed over to ten years old.  Depressing to think he might soon show signs of his age. 

3 hours ago, Dinglehopper said:

Very sorry to read this.  Although it is obviously hard I think we can all see that Pepper the poster and Pepper the dog both gave and got a lot out of their time together,

When I look at my dogs I wonder what I was thinking when I didn't have dogs.  It is amazing to see the love and devotion that they have for a good owner.  The connection can't be overstated.  Thanks for the tip on the service too.  My older dog just crossed over to ten years old.  Depressing to think he might soon show signs of his age. 

Thanks for the kind words and enjoy every day with that old dog. My wife and I are still having those moments where you instinctively think of the dog, like when leaving or locking up for the night. Overall it's positive, we had a good run.

Definitely consider the home visit when that time comes.  

7 minutes ago, pepper said:

Thanks for the kind words and enjoy every day with that old dog. My wife and I are still having those moments where you instinctively think of the dog, like when leaving or locking up for the night. Overall it's positive, we had a good run.

Definitely consider the home visit when that time comes.  

Nice hanging out with you over the years.  

On 6/7/2018 at 9:41 PM, pepper said:

So, the real Pepper is gone as of yesterday. 15 years of really good living, for her and us. 

For anyone thats approaching this time with their pet, I'd really recommend a service called "Peaceful Passage". They actually come to your home to euthanize your dog, so you don't have to go to the vet. Pepper was given a sedative which kicked in within a minute or so, and she layed down on her own blanket, and she went out as comfortable as is possible. It's very removed from the clinical, smelly environment of the vets office. Granted, her blanket was a bit smelly, but it was her smell, so thats cool. No other barking dogs or people getting their pups nails trimmed, just us and the home.

As soon as I heard of this company, I was sold, no matter the cost. But while our regular vet wanted $300 to put her down, this cost $410. Considering what she's given us, I'd have gladly payed double that. The vet was super sweet (think of the best hospice type nurses) and gave us all the time we needed. 

To any interested...

https://peacefulpassage.net/

I am sorry for the passing of your pup. It's such a heart breaker.

A friend recently used Peaceful Passage to put her dog to rest. She had nothing but wonderful things to say about the vet and how she handled everything.