Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SpiceGIrl

Celebrity Chef Anthony Bourdain dead from suicide

124 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Anthony Bourdain, a gifted storyteller and writer who took CNN viewers around the world, has died. He was 61.

CNN confirmed Bourdain's death on Friday and said the cause of death was suicide.

"It is with extraordinary sadness we can confirm the death of our friend and colleague, Anthony Bourdain," the network said in a statement Friday morning. "His love of great adventure, new friends, fine food and drink and the remarkable stories of the world made him a unique storyteller. His talents never ceased to amaze us and we will miss him very much. Our thoughts and prayers are with his daughter and family at this incredibly difficult time."

Bourdain was in France working on an upcoming episode of his award-winning CNN series. His close friend Eric Ripert, the French chef, found Bourdain unresponsive in his hotel room Friday morning.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/06/08/us/anthony-bourdain-obit/index.html

I loved him!  So sad.

Edited by SpiceGIrl

Always sad when someone ends his own life.

I used to enjoy his show, but stopped after the segment about Baltimore a few years ago trashed the city so badly.

No one is 'perfect'; we all have our faults and secrets.

I will miss his wit, insight and love of earthly peoples.

A zen-master at heart, he used food to connect across cultural and ethnic barriers.

I learned from his stories and experiences.

So long, Tony.... and thanks for all the fish.

This hurts. I honestly don't get worked up when celebrities die but when I saw the update on my iPad this morning while getting ready for work, I cried. My wife hugged me. It felt like I lost someone close to me. Next to Howard Stern, Anthony Bourdain was my dude.

I've been watching him since No Reservations...stuck with him through Parts Unknown...he felt like some kind of spirit animal to me when it came to travel and discovering different cultures and ways of life. More importantly, giving anyone, no matter how different, a voice and a chance to get to hear their side of things. Whenever I watched an episode I felt like I was on a mini-vacation myself with a great tour guide. Sometimes I'd pop a open a drink and just relax for the next hour. I'm going to miss that. Thankfully, I still have about a dozen episodes of his to watch, so I can at least enjoy those.

He left behind a daughter. Damn. I know he went through a divorce that was probably rough. She was a kickboxer (!) I know he was dating Asia Argento, who appeared on some of his episodes. I thought he was happy. I know he was a recovering addict. I know he led a full, and sometimes, dark life. But from what I gathered from the show and from his interviews, is that he was a with-it person. Felt like he'd scoff at anyone messed up enough to take their own life. This just proves that depression is a disease and it can strike anyone.

RIP Anthony. Thanks for taking me with you as you traveled the world and do it the way you did. I'll try to continue doing that, in some way.

Posted (edited)

28 minutes ago, regularguy said:

I used to enjoy his show, but stopped after the segment about Baltimore a few years ago trashed the city so badly.

He didn't trash Baltimore. He was a huge fan of The Wire and let that take over the segment. I wish he'd done a full show on the area. I was always hoping he'd come back to Baltimore / Maryland and do it right. Go crabbing on the bay, hit up the Eastern Shore, go to Woodberry Kitchen, eat crabs at LP Steamers or get a Koco's crabcake. Now that'll never happen. Damn.

Edited by Pickle20

I just watched the episode where Tony and Eric were in the Alps.

Eric found his body? Man...that is just terrible.

He had a long life full that was chock full of many travels and experiences living as he wanted to live and ending it the same way under his own terms.   So did his partner, for that matter.  She admitted having consensual sex many times with Harvey Weinstein and still was part of the #me too movement.  I wonder if that kind of public contradiction and scrutiny affected her relationship with Bourdain and pushed him over the edge despite their age difference. 

Very sad regardless.

26 minutes ago, regularguy said:

He didn’t trash Baltimore, he pointed out the obvious. That Baltimore is a shell of it’s former self like the other two cities chronicled in that episode. RIP Tony. You led me to visit a few places I may never have gone. 

10 minutes ago, Ode2Joy said:

He had a long life full that was chock full of many travels and experiences living as he wanted to live and ending it the same way under his own terms.   So did his partner, for that matter.  She admitted having consensual sex many times with Harvey Weinstein and still was part of the #me too movement.  I wonder if that kind of public contradiction and scrutiny affected her relationship with Bourdain and pushed him over the edge despite their age difference. 

Very sad regardless.

What a disgusting post. Shame on you.

3 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

He didn’t trash Baltimore, he pointed out the obvious. That Baltimore is a shell of it’s former self like the other two cities chronicled in that episode.

I like to think that in some respects, Baltimore is better than its former self... especially when it comes to food. There's a lot more to Baltimore than pit-beef and lake-trout.

Sad. You never can tell what people are feeling inside

9 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

Why is it disgusting?  He is at peace now regardless of the reason he did what he did. 

I don't know the man personally and doubt that anyone on here did either.  Same thing with the designer who took her own life just the other day.  It's sad, but we never know what triggers them to take their own life or how long something has been going on.

Talking about it may help prevent others from doing the same.  No need to glorify it.  It's more of a concern to me that suicides of celebrities might cause other people to copy them, thinking that those celebrities had so much more going on for them, and that isn't the case as these recent suicides show.

I hope this demonstrates the need for people to not be ashamed and seek the help they need if they're afraid to talk to someone.  Talking about it might just SAVE lives.

4 minutes ago, soulflower said:

Sad. You never can tell what people are feeling inside

You're right. 

10 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

That's some hard-core trolling.

21 minutes ago, Ode2Joy said:

Very sad regardless.

What a slimy thing to say. Pushed him over the edge? 

What's wrong with you?

7 minutes ago, Ode2Joy said:

Why is it disgusting? 

Your post was full of tasteless conjecture.

I was hoping to read something from you that was free of bitterness for a change and was ready to thank you for it.

Then I read what you wrote. Not surprising at all.

Just now, ms maggie said:

What a slimy thing to say. Pushed him over the edge? 

What's wrong with you?

Something pushed him over the edge. 

Just now, Ode2Joy said:

Something pushed him over the edge. 

Well by all means feel free to speculate it was his partner.

Vicious.

21 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

He didn’t trash Baltimore, he pointed out the obvious. That Baltimore is a shell of it’s former self like the other two cities chronicled in that episode. RIP Tony. You led me to visit a few places I may never have gone. 

Oh but he did trash Baltimore in his book "Kitchen Confidential."  Just read the section about "Baltimore Sucks" and see.  I think his primary complaint was the scarcity of heroin at the time he was living here.

18 minutes ago, regularguy said:

I like to think that in some respects, Baltimore is better than its former self... especially when it comes to food. There's a lot more to Baltimore than pit-beef and lake-trout.

It wasn’t a full Baltimore episode 

1 minute ago, SpiceGIrl said:

Oh but he did trash Baltimore in his book "Kitchen Confidential."  Just read the section about "Baltimore Sucks" and see.  I think his primary complaint was the scarcity of heroin at the time he was living here.

That's one of the reasons I can't get emotionally involved as some do over the death of a celebrity who was known to have a drug problem. 

Like I said, it's sad, but others without the celebrity status have faced much worse.  Their families suffer no less.

9 minutes ago, SpiceGIrl said:

How gracious.

Even Trump was affected and responded with a statement resembling a human being.

"I think it's very sad. In fact, I want to extend to his family my heartfelt condolences.  That was very shocking. When I woke up this morning, Anthony Bourdain is dead. And I enjoyed his show. He was quite a character, I will say. But, I just want to extend my condolences and, also, to the family of Kate Spade."

Maybe all his followers will fall in line now that the Grand Master has told them it's OK.

First Kate Spade and now him. I used to enjoy his show on Sunday nights, along with my wife and kids. It's a shame. Rest in peace.

1 minute ago, Pickle20 said:

Even Trump was affected and responded with a statement resembling a human being.

Maybe all his followers will fall in line now that the Grand Master has told them it's OK.

Astonishes me how vulgar people can be.