Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SpiceGIrl

Celebrity Chef Anthony Bourdain dead from suicide

124 posts in this topic

Just now, com6063 said:

First Kate Spade and now him. I used to enjoy his show on Sunday nights, along with my wife and kids. It's a shame. Rest in peace.

Dug out a Kate Spade bag last night and took it to dinner! Beautiful bag, forgot I even had it. Really great designer.

16 minutes ago, SpiceGIrl said:

Oh but he did trash Baltimore in his book "Kitchen Confidential."  Just read the section about "Baltimore Sucks" and see.  I think his primary complaint was the scarcity of heroin at the time he was living here.

Yes, and he mentioned that on the show he did in Baltimore. So he didn't "trash" Baltimore on the show and that aired after his book.

What a shame; such a talented and interesting man. 

8 minutes ago, ms maggie said:

Dug out a Kate Spade bag last night and took it to dinner! Beautiful bag, forgot I even had it. Really great designer.

My wife was a big Spade fan, and I was a big Bourdain fan. Tough week for us in that regard, and my wife's grandmother's funeral was earlier this week. So this hasn't been the best week.

7 minutes ago, ms maggie said:

Yes it's a big loss for the design world, and for her family.

1 minute ago, Pickle20 said:

My wife was a big Spade fan, and I was a big Bourdain fan. Tough week for us in that regard, and my wife's grandmother's funeral was earlier this week. So this hasn't been the best week.

I agree with you. Hang in there friend.

I was never a fan of his however this is awful news. His poor friends and family, I just can't imagine.

His death on the heels of Kate Spade. It worries me when public figures take their lives, they may have fans or admirers that are in similar situations and this could lead them to feeling hopeless.  

Please.... anyone out there feeling like there is no hope, please reach out for help.  There is always help. 

3 minutes ago, retired said:

What a shame; such a talented and interesting man. 

Had extraordinary nasi kandar in Malaysia (street vendor) thanks to Bourdain tip, unique talent

It Is my belief that when someone with depression hears or sees someone else with commit suicide they then feel that it is “ok” for them to do it. Just a theory.

Seems like he was a nice guy. I was listening to a black radio station when I heard the news. A lot of black people called in to express their surprise and grief .

Must’ve been a good egg. May he RIP. I hope people like him get help before taking this permanent solution.

He was going to open a food court in NYC later this year, or next year, that was I was looking forward to. Who knows if that happens now.

31 minutes ago, Ode2Joy said:

That's one of the reasons I can't get emotionally involved as some do over the death of a celebrity who was known to have a drug problem. 

Like I said, it's sad, but others without the celebrity status have faced much worse.  Their families suffer no less.

Then by all means go start a topic about that and stop stomping all over this one

18 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

Sorry for your loss friend.

12 minutes ago, EgyptKang said:

It Is my belief that when someone with depression hears or sees someone else with commit suicide they then feel that it is “ok” for them to do it. Just a theory.

I think you might be right about that, and that's a real danger.  It's one of the reasons people need to be careful about normalizing a case like this. 

7 minutes ago, Ode2Joy said:

I think you might be right about that, and that's a real danger.  It's one of the reasons people need to be careful about normalizing a case like this. 

The only one normalizing this is you by being your normal tasteless, bitter self.

You want to help people? Pass along the suicide prevention hotline number. Let me do that for you.

1-800-273-TALK.

1 hour ago, ms maggie said:

What a slimy thing to say. Pushed him over the edge? 

What's wrong with you?

'Cause somebody pushed her over the edge long ago, but she's still hanging on thanks to the cathartic benefits of trolling. 

Posted (edited)

Anthony Bourdain Was American Cool

https://www.thedailybeast.com/anthony-bourdain-was-american-cool?ref=home?ref=home

I say this as somebody who hates the word “cool” and all the contrived nonsense that it stirs up, but the man really was. He could hold court with gourmand French chefs in one episode, and then gut and cook a chicken on the Congo River in the next. I was proud to have my country associated with him—he was in that brash yet debonair American mold that foreigners eat up.

And the chef-turned-host understood this idea that eating is a somewhat safe space—or at least a place where human interaction becomes less fraught (especially if the food, and wine, are good). So for the past decade and a half that’s what he did. He got people to open up over food. He didn’t bring about world peace by any stretch of the imagination, but given some of the difficult places where he was having conversations, just talking and hearing people voice what was important to them seemed subversive. It was no small irony that at a time when the world was fragmenting thanks to a revived strain of ugly nationalism, Bourdain was trying to create some small connections. Travel is not a panacea to the world’s problems, but it’s a good start.

The nationalism he tapped into was a healthy one—a pride of home. He and his show gave people in places as different as Tokyo and Gaza the same feeling of dignity about their culture.

That, perhaps, will be his greatest legacy. He preached that every corner of the world has a story or two worth telling. And probably best told over dinner.

Edited by Pickle20

45 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

US suicides have increased by 25% since 1999 according to the CDC.

25 states have seen increases of 30%.

More than half of those who died by suicide were not diagnosed with mental health conditions.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/07/health/suicide-report-cdc/index.html

In general, this nation doesn't treat mental illness with the seriousness it deserves... period.  And not only that, but there is a stigma associated with anyone seeking any sort of mental health treatment that prevents a lot of folks from getting the help they need and even worse a lot of parents from getting their children the help they need because they don't want that albatross hanging their kid's neck for life.

6 minutes ago, banner1124 said:

In general, this nation doesn't treat mental illness with the seriousness it deserves... period.  And not only that, but there is a stigma associated with anyone seeking any sort of mental health treatment that prevents a lot of folks from getting the help they need and even worse a lot of parents from getting their children the help they need because they don't want that albatross hanging their kid's neck for life.

Agreed. However, it's tricky because like I posted, more than half of the suicides since 1999 were by people not diagnosed with a mental illness.

WTH is going on with the suicides?? Man...I'm gonna miss Mr. Bourdain.

Man...quite unexpected in many ways.  I know he had a dark past and side to him, but he always seemed like he had it "going on", if you know what I mean.  Seemed like a very happy, enlightened dude.  RIP Tony.

Posted (edited)

I feel awful for Eric. He is such a sweet guy and they were very good friends. He must feel awful.

If only Tony had talked to him about what he was thinking...

If only anyone who wanted to take their own life reached out to someone before they did it...

Edited by Pickle20

2 hours ago, Pickle20 said:

This hurts. I honestly don't get worked up when celebrities die but when I saw the update on my iPad this morning while getting ready for work, I cried. My wife hugged me. It felt like I lost someone close to me. Next to Howard Stern, Anthony Bourdain was my dude.

I've been watching him since No Reservations...stuck with him through Parts Unknown...he felt like some kind of spirit animal to me when it came to travel and discovering different cultures and ways of life. More importantly, giving anyone, no matter how different, a voice and a chance to get to hear their side of things. Whenever I watched an episode I felt like I was on a mini-vacation myself with a great tour guide. Sometimes I'd pop a open a drink and just relax for the next hour. I'm going to miss that. Thankfully, I still have about a dozen episodes of his to watch, so I can at least enjoy those.

He left behind a daughter. Damn. I know he went through a divorce that was probably rough. She was a kickboxer (!) I know he was dating Asia Argento, who appeared on some of his episodes. I thought he was happy. I know he was a recovering addict. I know he led a full, and sometimes, dark life. But from what I gathered from the show and from his interviews, is that he was a with-it person. Felt like he'd scoff at anyone messed up enough to take their own life. This just proves that depression is a disease and it can strike anyone.

RIP Anthony. Thanks for taking me with you as you traveled the world and do it the way you did. I'll try to continue doing that, in some way.

Nice post, Pickle 

I’m shocked and saddened by this news. I really enjoyed watching him. 

RIP Anthony

I seem to recall that in the wake of his first book, he was compared to Hunter Thompson, who also took his own life.

3 hours ago, soulflower said:

Sad. You never can tell what people are feeling inside

Amen to that soulflower.