Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SpiceGIrl

Celebrity Chef Anthony Bourdain dead from suicide

124 posts in this topic

36 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

I'd like someone to give me a million and let me test it out. Seriously though I get that money isn't everything, but I would have a hard time being depressed with no money worries. 

 

2 minutes ago, Cowboyz said:

That's because you aren't clinically depressed already. 

 

Indeed.

Money worries create sadness.

Clinical depression creates chaos.  It's a MEDICAL condition, requiring, in most cases, medical intervention.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, gonzoliberal said:

 

 

Indeed.

Money worries create sadness.

Clinical depression creates chaos.  It's a MEDICAL condition, requiring, in most cases, medical intervention.

 

Very well said! And so very true. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rest In Peace!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ODENTON said:

Thought he had it pretty good and he seemed to enjoy his work......those demons stay busy.

 

:D it is everywhere.

So why did he come to Baltimore to look for it. He made it sound like a new delicacy .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sad. I developed a crush on him many years ago. I found him to be fascinating.  His demons won. :( RIP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

I'd like someone to give me a million and let me test it out. Seriously though I get that money isn't everything, but I would have a hard time being depressed with no money worries. 

You do get that this ins't just something like being "down in the dumps" or "having the blues" right?  This is straight up bonafide illnes... actual chemical imbalances that cause a person to truly not think rationally.  An illness like that doesn't give a rat's arse how much money you have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We used to watch all his shows on the Travel Channel. Our youngest is a chef and has read his books.

He did drink a lot on the shows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

We used to watch all his shows on the Travel Channel. Our youngest is a chef and has read his books.

He did drink a lot on the shows.

If I recall correctly, one time he said that alcohol was never his problem; heroin was. Popular belief is that people with an addiction to drugs also have to give up alcohol and vice versus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

If I recall correctly, one time he said that alcohol was never his problem; heroin was. Popular belief is that people with an addiction to drugs also have to give up alcohol and vice versus.

I knew about the heroin problem. The man was a partier .....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pickle20 said:

Good point. No. Point being that we'll never know what another person is thinking/feeling.

No doubt about it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pickle20 said:

Oh look. More disgusting conjecture.

The Daily Mail is reporting he hung himself.

 

Pictures are hung. People are hanged. Just saying. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, banner1124 said:

You do get that this ins't just something like being "down in the dumps" or "having the blues" right?  This is straight up bonafide illnes... actual chemical imbalances that cause a person to truly not think rationally.  An illness like that doesn't give a rat's arse how much money you have.

Maybe in some cases .... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, banner1124 said:

You do get that this ins't just something like being "down in the dumps" or "having the blues" right?  This is straight up bonafide illnes... actual chemical imbalances that cause a person to truly not think rationally.  An illness like that doesn't give a rat's arse how much money you have.

Leaving behind a young daughter is proof of what you are saying. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very timely, just yesterday I spent the day and night with a friend who has a long history of psycho-social issues including an eating disorder and depression. She has been in treatment for years and her illnesses have been pretty much, but not completely, managed. Unfortunately, I and others have witnessed the downward spiral of her life unfolding. She has a new diagnosis - bipolar disorder. Which makes perfect sense given what we have witnessed. Friends and family of someone experiencing bipolar disorder often find themselves asking, "Who is this person?" The process of getting medication combinations for psychiatric disorders treatment can be long and frustrating. There are no magic pills. No, "Here, take this, and you will be cured!" treatments. This person is someone you would never guess, without spending time with her, has so many problems. To the outside world, she lives a charmed life. She has "everything" - small children, a husband (now furious - he still doesn't understand mental illness), several advance degrees, a wonderful career, beautiful homes, and, yes, access to mental health care. And yet none of it has prevented her from experiencing her illnesses.

Mental illness is a lifetime sentence - for the victims and for those who care about them. So please stop judging people who live with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

Very timely, just yesterday I spent the day and night with a friend who has a long history of psycho-social issues including an eating disorder and depression. She has been in treatment for years and her illnesses have been pretty much, but not completely, managed. Unfortunately, I and others have witnessed the downward spiral of her life unfolding. She has a new diagnosis - bipolar disorder. Which makes perfect sense given what we have witnessed. Friends and family of someone experiencing bipolar disorder often find themselves asking, "Who is this person?" The process of getting medication combinations for psychiatric disorders treatment can be long and frustrating. There are no magic pills. No, "Here, take this, and you will be cured!" treatments. This person is someone you would never guess, without spending time with her, has so many problems. To the outside world, she lives a charmed life. She has "everything" - small children, a husband (now furious - he still doesn't understand mental illness), several advance degrees, a wonderful career, beautiful homes, and, yes, access to mental health care. And yet none of it has prevented her from experiencing her illnesses.

Mental illness is a lifetime sentence - for the victims and for those who care about them. So please stop judging people who live with it.

Great post...

The social stigma is paralyzing, amplifying the thoughts of, 'it's my fault', and 'I suck'.   Combine that with the mortal lack of psychiatric hospitals and treatment centers, then add the treatment by unaware police....

It's a friggin' jungle out there.  Add poverty and lack of family support, and you have a national tragedy.  For the mentally ill, life is a series of failures; the medical establishment has failed, the police have failed, BigInsure, now surrogate for 'health care', has failed, and now, our Gommint is taking the road to failure.

...and some are surprised that suicide rates are up?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spent a few hours watching the CNN coverage of his death. Very well done and a great reminder of what the world lost by his passing. Apparently Ripert said that Bourdain had been in a “dark mood” the few days before his death. 

I still can’t believe he’s gone. 

He must’ve been going through his own personal hell so while it’s good he’s at peace now I wish to hell he had reached out for help like anyone having those thoughts should. 

RIP Tony Bourdain. You will be missed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is purely speculation, but just trying to understand why was a hot-topic this weekend among friends floating in the bay dodging rain storms...

A few months ago we watched an episode where he was in Italy with a woman that seemed a bit rough around the edges, covered in tattoos, raspy way of talking, seemed kind of wild/dangerous in an obvious kind of way.  My wife and I both said "oh, they are hooking up, big time".  We didn't know that Bourdain was no longer with his wife, etc, but it seemed quite weird...and the "skankometer" was off of the charts with this woman - now maybe she is perfectly fine, I'm not judging because she has tattoos all over her body and in weird places(like between her fingers), but her mannerisms, etc, I just kept thinking one thing - drugs...big time drugs.  Now I realize that this woman was Asia Argento, and that he's was involved with her.  Not sure if he was prior to the show, or that's how they hooked up...but...I have to wonder if he didn't slip back into old habits(heroin), and just felt like he had completely failed life or something.  

I know, depression is a brutal, oppressive force that can make people do unfathomable things to themselves or others.  I get that...but I just can't understand it.  I can't understand it because my instinct has always been one of survival.  Maybe he wanted to spare his child the pain of having a father that was a 61 year old heroin addict.  Or maybe it wasn't drugs, and maybe the relationship with Argento went south and couple that with the failed marriage, and he just couldn't get over the pain.  Maybe we will know the answers...maybe not.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, alienrace said:

This is purely speculation, but just trying to understand why was a hot-topic this weekend among friends floating in the bay dodging rain storms...

A few months ago we watched an episode where he was in Italy with a woman that seemed a bit rough around the edges, covered in tattoos, raspy way of talking, seemed kind of wild/dangerous in an obvious kind of way.  My wife and I both said "oh, they are hooking up, big time".  We didn't know that Bourdain was no longer with his wife, etc, but it seemed quite weird...and the "skankometer" was off of the charts with this woman - now maybe she is perfectly fine, I'm not judging because she has tattoos all over her body and in weird places(like between her fingers), but her mannerisms, etc, I just kept thinking one thing - drugs...big time drugs.  Now I realize that this woman was Asia Argento, and that he's was involved with her.  Not sure if he was prior to the show, or that's how they hooked up...but...I have to wonder if he didn't slip back into old habits(heroin), and just felt like he had completely failed life or something.  

I know, depression is a brutal, oppressive force that can make people do unfathomable things to themselves or others.  I get that...but I just can't understand it.  I can't understand it because my instinct has always been one of survival.  Maybe he wanted to spare his child the pain of having a father that was a 61 year old heroin addict.  Or maybe it wasn't drugs, and maybe the relationship with Argento went south and couple that with the failed marriage, and he just couldn't get over the pain.  Maybe we will know the answers...maybe not.  

Very good post.

People Magazine and other media have reported the since deleted photo and comment that Asia Argento posted.  She was wearing a black tee with an image of Sid Vicious on it and it said "BLANK EVERYONE!", except "blank" isn't really what she said.  The caption she included said "You know who you are!". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, alienrace said:

 

I know, depression is a brutal, oppressive force that can make people do unfathomable things to themselves or others.  I get that...but I just can't understand it.  I can't understand it because my instinct has always been one of survival. 

This is me all the way. Without getting into too much detail, I've been through some bad times in my life. I however have never thought about  killing myself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

This is me all the way. Without getting into too much detail, I've been through some bad times in my life. I however have never thought about  killing myself. 

That's because clinical depression is an illness of the brain, and you don't have it. (...probably...)

A well person, or 'neurotypical', does not experience the thoughts or emotions that a depressed person does.  Think about that for a moment, and contemplate how much of 'who you are' is wrapped up in how and what you think.  A depressed person's brain works differently, creates different thoughts and emotions, motivations and outcomes.

Bless the healthy brain, for it's what distinguishes us from all the other planetary lifeforms out there.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, alienrace said:

This is purely speculation, but just trying to understand why was a hot-topic this weekend among friends floating in the bay dodging rain storms...

A few months ago we watched an episode where he was in Italy with a woman that seemed a bit rough around the edges, covered in tattoos, raspy way of talking, seemed kind of wild/dangerous in an obvious kind of way.  My wife and I both said "oh, they are hooking up, big time".  We didn't know that Bourdain was no longer with his wife, etc, but it seemed quite weird...and the "skankometer" was off of the charts with this woman - now maybe she is perfectly fine, I'm not judging because she has tattoos all over her body and in weird places(like between her fingers), but her mannerisms, etc, I just kept thinking one thing - drugs...big time drugs.  Now I realize that this woman was Asia Argento, and that he's was involved with her.  Not sure if he was prior to the show, or that's how they hooked up...but...I have to wonder if he didn't slip back into old habits(heroin), and just felt like he had completely failed life or something.  

I know, depression is a brutal, oppressive force that can make people do unfathomable things to themselves or others.  I get that...but I just can't understand it.  I can't understand it because my instinct has always been one of survival.  Maybe he wanted to spare his child the pain of having a father that was a 61 year old heroin addict.  Or maybe it wasn't drugs, and maybe the relationship with Argento went south and couple that with the failed marriage, and he just couldn't get over the pain.  Maybe we will know the answers...maybe not.  

Thanks for the thoughtful post AR. You probably know that drug and alcohol addiction/abuse are risk factors for suicide. If he was using it would have increased his decision to end his life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, alienrace said:

This is purely speculation, but just trying to understand why was a hot-topic this weekend among friends floating in the bay dodging rain storms...

A few months ago we watched an episode where he was in Italy with a woman that seemed a bit rough around the edges, covered in tattoos, raspy way of talking, seemed kind of wild/dangerous in an obvious kind of way.  My wife and I both said "oh, they are hooking up, big time".  We didn't know that Bourdain was no longer with his wife, etc, but it seemed quite weird...and the "skankometer" was off of the charts with this woman - now maybe she is perfectly fine, I'm not judging because she has tattoos all over her body and in weird places(like between her fingers), but her mannerisms, etc, I just kept thinking one thing - drugs...big time drugs.  Now I realize that this woman was Asia Argento, and that he's was involved with her.  Not sure if he was prior to the show, or that's how they hooked up...but...I have to wonder if he didn't slip back into old habits(heroin), and just felt like he had completely failed life or something.  

I know, depression is a brutal, oppressive force that can make people do unfathomable things to themselves or others.  I get that...but I just can't understand it.  I can't understand it because my instinct has always been one of survival.  Maybe he wanted to spare his child the pain of having a father that was a 61 year old heroin addict.  Or maybe it wasn't drugs, and maybe the relationship with Argento went south and couple that with the failed marriage, and he just couldn't get over the pain.  Maybe we will know the answers...maybe not.  

They’re doing a toxicology report so we’ll know the answers about drugs soon. It wouldn’t be a big shock to find a former heroin user falling into his old habits. Just my hunch, I don’t think that is what happened and there haven’t been any rumblings that he was using again. It would be hard for someone in his profession to cover that up. I think he had exhaustion issues and had a bad night. Most people who attempt suicide and fail don’t try it again. Survivors never say they wish they had succeeded.

About Argento, she’s European so there’s definitely a culture divide between how you and others view her. Bourdain’s former wife was into jujitsu (and from Italy IIRC) so he definitely goes for a different kind of woman. 

Personally I think keeping tabloid like conjecture to oneself in cases like this is the way to go but hey, that’s just me. Call me old fashioned. 

Edited by Pickle20

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

I’m actually surprised it was Steve who went personal like that since he’s called others out for going less personal. 

Im surprised it wasn’t a specific other poster who didn’t use your honesty to make a personal attack, like it was done to me not long ago. 

Shameful, but not unexpected from these people.

I'm not surprised

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, com6063 said:

Thanks for the thoughtful post AR. You probably know that drug and alcohol addiction/abuse are risk factors for suicide. If he was using it would have increased his decision to end his life.

You hit the nail on the head, and that's one of the things I have a difficult time understanding, com...how those around Bourdain seemed to almost encourage his alcohol-fueled comments, many of which they thought witty and appear online as exactly that.  

Some seem to view alcohol abuse or addiction as not as bad because it's legal to drink, but I think they're wrong for the very reason you pointed out.  

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Quote
 

“We have no indication that he was consuming alcohol the days before his death or changed his behavior.”

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2018/06/10/troubling-signs-leading-up-to-anthony-bourdains-suicide.html

You guys can knock yourself out with the speculation but unless you guys have some sources reeeeeeeeeally close to Bourdain that can prove otherwise I’ll go with what’s being put out there by the people in the know.

That article also says it seemed impulsive, so maybe there was no note. 

Anyway, tune in to CNN at 10 for a special remembering the one and only Anthony Bourdain. He will be sorely missed.

Edited by Pickle20

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0