Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SpiceGIrl

Celebrity Chef Anthony Bourdain dead from suicide

124 posts in this topic

A drug addict or person with an alcohol problem who is suicidal doesn't have to be high or drunk at the time. 

Actor Jackson Odell was just found dead at a sober living home.  

There is no reason to doubt that drug and alcohol addiction/abuse are risk factors when it comes to those who have suicidal thoughts.  They are, and the damage they can do doesn't stop even if they do seek treatment. 

http://www.suicide.org/after-suicide-attempt-risk-high-for-suicide.html

Watched a few episodes of "No Reservations" onTravel Ch a long time ago but I lost interest in his preachyness after a while. Sorry to see anyone do themselves in. We all wrestle with ourselves to some degree now and then though. Too Bad....

Nine out of ten people who attempt suicide and survive will not go on to die by suicide at a later date. This has been well-established in the suicidology literature. A literature review (Owens 2002) summarized 90 studies that have followed over time people who have made suicide attempts that resulted in medical care. Approximately 7% (range: 5-11%) of attempters eventually died by suicide, approximately 23% reattempted nonfatally, and 70% had no further attempts.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/means-matter/means-matter/survival/

2 hours ago, Pickle20 said:

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2018/06/10/troubling-signs-leading-up-to-anthony-bourdains-suicide.html

You guys can knock yourself out with the speculation but unless you guys have some sources reeeeeeeeeally close to Bourdain that can prove otherwise I’ll go with what’s being put out there by the people in the know.

That article also says it seemed impulsive, so maybe there was no note. 

Anyway, tune in to CNN at 10 for a special remembering the one and only Anthony Bourdain. He will be sorely missed.

Watched it, was a nice tribute.  I think it was Andersen Cooper, or was it someone else, alluded to the past demons maybe coming back to haunt him.  

My speculation is purely me trying to wrap my mind around it, trying to make sense out of something nonsensical from my distant perspective.  I mean no harm, I just don't want to believe that he had seen so much in the world, so much beauty and ugliness, and everything in between, and though life wasn't worth living...because that paints a pretty damned bleak picture for the rest of us...it's unsettling.  

It sure does. 

Still haven’t gotten over it. 

Posted (edited)

12 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

I'm not surprised

Since I see your personal comment to me was deleted, don't know why this one is still here with Pickle's quote.

Pickle also needs to know I don't need advise from someone who also gets personal with others.

Edited by stevez51

1 hour ago, Pickle20 said:

It sure does. 

Still haven’t gotten over it. 

Me either. He introduced me to a lot of food that I would have never considered eating. 

1 hour ago, stevez51 said:

Since I see your personal comment to me was deleted, don't know why this one is still here with Pickle's quote.

Pickle also needs to know I don't need advise from someone who also gets personal with others.

It’s “advice”

11 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Me either. He introduced me to a lot of food that I would have never considered eating. 

He also introduced me to a lot of people (and cultures) from all over the world that I would have never considered considering.

When incidents take place in Gaza, Egypt, Syria, Venezuela, etc...it's important to remember that there are real people living there -- people who have hopes and worries just like you and me -- that end up getting screwed. Just because they happen to live somewhere doesn't make them bad people. And that gets lost a lot. Bourdain made me realize that...it's crazy how much of an influence a "celebrity" had on my life but AB was the anti-celebrity. He saw that food was the great equalizer, a window into discussion, and understanding.

I read something in one of the many tributes I've ready to him and it said, "The world needs more Anthony Bourdains and now it has none."

Heartbreaking.

Posted (edited)

Bourdain's take on Baltimore, from his book:

"Baltimore sucks. If you haven't been there, it's a fairly quaint excuse for a city. (At the time I was there it was undergoing massive rehabilitation; an entire neighborhood by the waterfront was being 'restored' into a sort of red-brick and cobblestone theme park.) Bars close at 1 A.M. they start flashing the lights for last call at twelve-thirty. The permanent residents speak of New York and DC with strangely wistful expressions on their faces, as if they can't understand how they ended up here,rather than a few miles north or south, where there's a real city. There's an element of the South, an almost rural quality to Baltimore, an Ozark fatalism that's amusing in John Water's films but not so much fun to live with."

Edited by regularguy
formatting

4 minutes ago, regularguy said:

"Baltimore sucks. If you haven't been there, it's a fairly quaint excuse for a city. (At the time I was there it was undergoing massive rehabilitation; an entire neighborhood by the waterfront was being 'restored' into a sort of red-brick and cobblestone theme park.) Bars close at 1 A.M. they start flashing the lights for last call at twelve-thirty. The permanent residents speak of New York and DC with strangely wistful expressions on their faces, as if they can't understand how they ended up here,rather than a few miles north or south, where there's a real city. There's an element of the South, an almost rural quality to Baltimore, an Ozark fatalism that's amusing in John Water's films but not so much fun to live with."

Stambaugh said that Bourdain told him traveling and television had changed his perspective.

“He said ‘I look at things a lot different now than when I worked there.’ ” Stambaugh said. “ ‘Baltimore has some of the nicest people I ever met and the realest people I ever met.’ ”

During his show “No Reservations,” Bourdain returned to Baltimore, again causing friction when he highlighted pit beef and lake trout as opposed to other Baltimore specialties, like crab cakes.

When he spoke at the Hippodrome in 2010 and 2012, he defended his portrayal of Baltimore as the essence of his program: forgoing flashy dishes in favor of hidden staples.

“I'm sorry some of you didn't like it. Yes, it wasn't fair. Yes, it wasn't a good representation. Yeah, all of those things are true, but you know, I had a really great time, and I'd do it again,” he said at the time.

During his Hippodrome appearance in 2012, Bourdain credited Simon for his view of Baltimore.

"I love Baltimore. I don't love it for the reasons you want me to love Baltimore. I happen to love Baltimore because David Simon taught me to love Baltimore," Bourdain said on stage.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/dining/baltimore-diner-blog/bs-fe-anthony-bourdain-reaction-20180608-story.html

Darn shame he never made it back to do a full episode on Baltimore and the region. It would have been great, no doubt.

Rose McGowan released a lengthy statement Monday about Anthony Bourdain’s suicide, saying the chef and TV personality sought help before his death but “did not take the doctor’s advice.” She also responded to rumors about Bourdain’s partner, Italian actress Asia Argento, and their relationship. McGowan, who said she was writing on behalf of Argento, clarified that the pair had an open relationship. “Anthony and Asia had a free relationship, they loved without borders of traditional relationships, and they established the parameters of their relationship early on. Asia is a free bird, and so was Anthony,” she said. McGowan continued by asking the public to stop blaming Argento for Bourdain’s suicide. “Do NOT do the sexist thing and burn a woman on the pyre of misplaced blame,” she wrote. “Anthony’s internal war was his war, but now she’s been left on the battlefield to take the bullets. It is in no way fair or acceptable to blame her or anyone else, not even Anthony. We are asking you to be better, to look deeper, to read and learn about mental illness, suicide and depression before you make it worse for survivors by judging that which we do not understand, that which can never fully be understood.”

https://www.thedailybeast.com/rose-mcgowan-dont-blame-asia-argento-for-anthony-bourdains-suicide?ref=home

Didn't Rose McGowan also come to the defense of Victor Salva? 

7 hours ago, Pickle20 said:

5 hours ago, banner1124 said:

Unfortunately, the folks hell-bent on fanning the flames of speculation won't listen to one word of this

Or THIS...from today's news...

Rose McGowan indicted on cocaine charge in Loudoun Co.

The lengths people will go to tear down someone, a fellow woman especially, is disturbing. 

25 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

The lengths people will go to tear down someone, a fellow woman especially, is disturbing. 

You seem to be really taking this death hard. Maybe you should take some time off and heal.

48 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

You seem to be really taking this death hard. Maybe you should take some time off and heal.

Life goes on. Each day gets better and better. I'll be fine but thanks for your concern.

It is futile and utterly speculative to comment on what may or may not have been the personal demons that caused Mr Bourdain's suicide. 

I think it is much better to remember him for his achievements, which included turning on thousands of people to a way of understanding other people, places and cultures through food and all activities related to food. Regardless of insurmountable barriers in language, race, or politics regular people can _always_ sit down together, share a meal, have a great time and understand each other as humans better through the rituals of eating.

I took his advice years ago when traveling to various places in Europe (... and Texas which may as well be a foreign country to me). The best way to experience the reality of another place is to go to it's markets or partake in what the locals eat. 

RIP, Mr Bourdain

On 6/11/2018 at 11:16 AM, regularguy said:

In fairness, if you’re comparing Baltimore night life to D.C  or New York it does suck. 

I know, I know... he said someone should "die of boils" on Twitter so he's an awful person (sarcasm), but David Simon posted the best remembrance of Anthony Bourdain yesterday.

Anyone who has ever even heard of Bourdain should read this to get a better sense of who he is and what we lost.

https://davidsimon.com/tony/

6 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

Does it bother you, me posting articles about him? Someone that meant a lot to people from all walks of life?

If so, why?

Not many are talking about it but you. If you want, start a thread about why so many kids are committing suicide and leave the celebs to the magazines.