Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hst2

"Excitement in the air" in Singapore

186 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

I’m thinking that unless he solves world hunger, cures Alzheimer’s and gets the Orioles some pitching, it won’t be enough.

Hitting is the problem lately ......

8 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

As much as most of you want to believe otherwise, the trip is historic. And, as many of you predicted, it wasn't a disaster. Sanctions remain in place. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

The Palmer report "report" turned out to be a bunch of claptrap based on wishes instead of reality.

Jim Palmer should just stick to baseball commentary ......

18 hours ago, banner1124 said:

It's something that should have happened a long time ago.  I just find it interesting that the same folks cheering this on now were losing their collective minds at the mere mention of the possibility of such talks by a previous president.

Oh, and I also can't get past the fact that anything good that may come out of this will be coincidental because I don't believe for one second that trump has the good of the country at heart with all this.... just the good of trump

If some good comes out of stroking the twin egos of these two that is ok by me.  We don’t need any more wars.

11 hours ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

I suppose asking a serious question is a fool’s errand here, but what will it take to constitute a successful Singapore conference?

A formal peace agreement between NK and SK?

Immediate and complete de-nuclearization?

Agreement to inspection by the IAEA, with denuclearization over three years?

these would be a good start. would it be too much to expect the POTUS to actually bring up the human rights abuses and how those will cease. Another good outcome would be holding JGU responsible for the death of an american citizen. Is that asking too much?

Well, seems trump may have made some progress.  Of course CNN wasn't giving him any credit, didn't expect them to.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/11/politics/trump-kim-summit-singapore/index.html

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/06/12/north-korea-agrees-to-complete-denuclearization-korean-peninsula-after-trump-kim-summit.html

Somewhere between the two posted links is probably the truth.  Regardless, we are in a better place than we were before the meeting.

Does this mean N.Korea is going to give up its nuclear weapons? When?

1 minute ago, prodigalson1 said:

I knew the haters couldn't stand trump accomplishing something.  I do think talking is much better than shooting.  Of course, I guess the haters would rather have had a war.

38 minutes ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

So, given that at least on paper Kim has agreed (and I know what paper is worth particularly in regard to North Korea), and recognizing the physical challenges of turning over weapons and dismantling capabilities, would definable action within 6 months meet your definition of “immediate”?

The document says "the Korean penisula" not NK. Does that mean we dismantle our nuclear umbrella that protects South Korea?

I would be happy if denuclearization was completed by the end of Trump's term. The key is that progress starts immediately. I sincerely doubt that. This document is all about intentions. 

The positive spin here is Trump is no longer talking about nuclear war.

3 minutes ago, overtaxed said:

I knew the haters couldn't stand trump accomplishing something.  I do think talking is much better than shooting.  Of course, I guess the haters would rather have had a war.

I am glad Trump did it.  I hope the allure of a Nobel Peace Prize motivates trump to get this done.  But trump supporters can’t camplain about negative comments and nasty talk.  He puts enough out there it is part of the game.  

8 minutes ago, overtaxed said:

Do you know the answer to that? Either you do or you don't.

5 minutes ago, Dinglehopper said:

But trump supporters can’t camplain about negative comments and nasty talk.  He puts enough out there it is part of the game.  

Totally agree,and have said that many times.  As I have also said he isn't wrong about everything.  I mean some people are insane with the hate for him.  Especially hollywood.

24 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

As much as most of you want to believe otherwise, the trip is historic. And, as many of you predicted, it wasn't a disaster. Sanctions remain in place. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

The Palmer report "report" turned out to be a bunch of claptrap based on wishes instead of reality.

The trip is historic. Legitimizing this tyrant, a meeting with the POTUS that cost NK nothing, that's historic.

The question is, will anything substantial come from this? Do Trump or Kim have a track record of follow through? Does Trump have the strategic patience to get a reasonable, beneficial agreement?

A non binding feel-good statement is better than nothing of course, and a big improvement from Trump's prior behavior re NK.

The worry? Trump is really invested n this. How far is he willing to go to get what he can sell as a win?

Keep in mind we've had agreements like this w NK previously--ones with greater detail--that's sputtered out as actual progress towards denuclearization was stonewalled.

Never know. Maybe this time will be different. Doubtful but anything's possible.

15 minutes ago, ms maggie said:

The document says "the Korean penisula" not NK. Does that mean we dismantle our nuclear umbrella that protects South Korea?

I would be happy if denuclearization was completed by the end of Trump's term. The key is that progress starts immediately. I sincerely doubt that. This document is all about intentions. 

The positive spin here is Trump is no longer talking about nuclear war.

You’re correct in that requires the denuclearization of the peninsula, but the umbrella over SK reaches from further than SK.  We do not have to have weapons on the peninsula to provide a nuclear umbrella.  

Trump agreed to stop joint military exercises and got absolutely nothing in return for it.

Best deal-maker ever?

Just now, overtaxed said:

Totally agree,and have said that many times.  As I have also said he isn't wrong about everything.  I mean some people are insane with the hate for him.  Especially hollywood.

It was very different with Pres.Obama from Republicans, conservatives and the House and Senate wasn't it? They all have him his due when he deserved it...right? 

Trump is more often wrong than right. This does not let him off the hook. This will soon be overshadowed by some tweet, some name calling, a celebrity based pardon, something stupid said, something stupid done. It has been that way since day one with pres.Choas. What do you expect to change?

And don't forget Mueller. He's working very hard.

Overtaxed...you're beginning to sound as if you're whining. 

8 minutes ago, ms maggie said:

The trip is historic. Legitimizing this tyrant, a meeting with the POTUS that cost NK nothing, that's historic.

The question is, will anything substantial come from this? Do Trump or Kim have a track record of follow through? Does Trump have the strategic patience to get a reasonable, beneficial agreement?

A non binding feel-good statement is better than nothing of course, and a big improvement from Trump's prior behavior re NK.

The worry? Trump is really invested n this. How far is he willing to go to get what he can sell as a win?

Keep in mind we've had agreements like this w NK previously--ones with greater detail--that's sputtered out as actual progress towards denuclearization was stonewalled.

Never know. Maybe this time will be different. Doubtful but anything's possible.

Maybe it's NK that is legitimizing the evil US?  :P

12 minutes ago, prodigalson1 said:

Do you know the answer to that? Either you do or you don't.

The first major step is to trash the KAA and put in place a real peace agreement.

8 minutes ago, flyboy56 said:

The first major step is to trash the KAA and put in place a real peace agreement.

And that would guarantee NK gives up its nuclear weapons?

Huh?

9 minutes ago, flyboy56 said:

What is KAA and does it answer the question I asked?

19 minutes ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

You’re correct in that requires the denuclearization of the peninsula, but the umbrella over SK reaches from further than SK.  We do not have to have weapons on the peninsula to provide a nuclear umbrella.  

That's your interpretation. NK has maintained in the past that the umbrella (not located on the peninsula) is a threat to them.

Just another issue yet to be actually tackled.

7 minutes ago, ms maggie said:

And that would guarantee NK gives up its nuclear weapons?

Huh?

No. But it is the first step to real peace on the peninsula. 

28 minutes ago, ms maggie said:

As always, time will tell, ms maggie. As always. We will just have to watch the process.  I'm embarrassed to have been only hopeful that he didn't embarrass our country. I don't think that he did.  

1 minute ago, Sprightly said:

As always, time will tell, ms maggie. As always. We will just have to watch the process.  I'm embarrassed to have been only hopeful that he didn't embarrass our country. I don't think that he did.  

You should probably wait on that assessment until the tweeting begins.