Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guido2

Rodricks: The two ways Baltimore voters will judge Marilyn Mosby

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Some of us malign Dan Rodericks for his re-tread articles and his progressive positions. However, I have to admit that Danny boy got it right on many counts. Especially that he finally admits ...though grudgingly and with out fan fair ….that swift and severe punishment is needed AND is a deterent.

Some quotable quotes.... I await your comments...……………..

Baltimore voters will have two things on their minds — the cases she brought against six police officers in the death of Freddie Gray and the appalling rate of violence that has occurred across our city since Mosby took office as state’s attorney.

Some will readily give Mosby credit for the first thing and reward her with their votes...…...For those Baltimoreans, it won’t matter that, in four trials, Mosby’s prosecutors failed to prove that the officers' treatment of Gray rose to criminality.

Nor will it matter that, in dropping the remaining charges, Mosby tried to blame others. She accused police investigators of having "inherent bias" that subverted her cases.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/dan-rodricks-blog/bs-md-rodricks-060-story.html

Edited by Baltimatt
Too long a quote

Hmmmm this is surprising.....no response. Maybe it should be merged with the other thread?

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:26 AM, Guido2 said:

Some of us malign Dan Rodericks for his re-tread articles and his progressive positions. However, I have to admit that Danny boy got it right on many counts. Especially that he finally admits ...though grudgingly and with out fan fair ….that swift and severe punishment is needed AND is a deterent

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/dan-rodricks-blog/bs-md-rodricks-060-story.html

Some bunch of shrinks got together and did a study in which they found that the speed of the punishment was a larger factor than the actual punishment when it comes to deterring repeat offenders. (I don't remember any more info on the study or I would link to it).

Go into any Baltimore City Courtroom and watch how easily a case can be postponed. (In one case a car theft suspect got SEVEN postponements and finally the victim gave up coming to court (at that point the defense demanded the case be thrown out due to lack of a victim)).

This is one incident where I can not blame Ms Mosby though. The City's Judges have to stop giving out repeated postponements  as if they were 'tic-tac" candies!  (I also can not fathom why Circuit Court cases take 6 months or more to come to trial).

or at least sending a message of certain and harsh punishment for those who would shoot or kill again.

Prosecutors don't render sentences.

The Baltimore Women United for Action is supporting Mosby just as they did in 2014. They are a powerful group but sadly for them gender is more important then ability.

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 6:44 PM, bmore_ken said:

Prosecutors don't render sentences.

Absolutely correct. However, prosectutors have input as to what they feel the punishment should be. And also (if they have a set) press the Judge to render more severe punishment. 

But in the end the lib/progressive/hug a thug judges have the ultimate decision power. 

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 6:53 PM, johnpolitics said:

The Baltimore Women United for Action is supporting Mosby just as they did in 2014. They are a powerful group but sadly for them gender is more important then ability.

And equally sadly,  as we see in the city day in and day out.....that what you suggest is not the only thumb on the scale when people are elected into or put into most any important position.