Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Marshan Man

Ben Jealous Talks Marijuana, Dave Chappelle And His Campaign For Maryland Governor

3 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Interesting read... 

MM: Let’s talk more about the evolution of your position on cannabis reform. Were there any other major factors that led you to adopt a pro-legalization stance? 

BJ: I did not start the campaign thinking that this was going to be one of the big issues that I was going to be talking about. However, I did start the campaign knowing that we were going to have to deal head on with the violence in Baltimore and the shootings elsewhere around the state, including places like Prince George’s County. And so around the second anniversary of the uprisings in Baltimore, I asked a retired member of the Baltimore Police Department to go talk to commanders that he knew across the city and just ask them, ‘why are the shootings surging? What’s going on with the violence?’

And he came back and he said, ‘Ben, you know, there were two big data points.’ I said, ‘OK, what are they?’ He said, ‘one, nobody can really agree why the shootings have been surging in recent years. However, everybody is in agreement that approximately half of the shootings in the past 10 years had been one set of marijuana dealers killing another set of marijuana dealers.’ That made me sit up straight, because it really laid bare that we could be saving lives if we legalized cannabis. And that added to the mountains of evidence of the good that could be done to advance racial justice, the good that could be done to increase revenues for universal pre-k.

https://www.marijuanamoment.net/ben-jealous-talks-marijuana-dave-chappelle-and-his-campaign-for-maryland-governor/

Edited by Baltimatt
Too long a quote

Ben would need to find a way that Miller & Busch can make money off it to get it passed.

2 hours ago, stevez51 said:

Ben would need to find a way that Miller & Busch can make money off it to get it passed.

And water is wet!

Next. :lol: