araiderfan

SFA possibly gets another

61 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

How do you get into a school where its academically challenging in the 1st place? 

Sports, but not flunk out of one and on to the next. Come on man that's ridiculous and you for one should know and be against it.

1 hour ago, jbmad said:

Sports, but not flunk out of one and on to the next. Come on man that's ridiculous and you for one should know and be against it.

SFA isn't a better school academically than SJC. I see no problem with this. I remember kids being asked to leave Gilman when I was in high school, and ended up at St. Paul's or Boy's Latin. Happened all the time. 

3 minutes ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

SFA isn't a better school academically than SJC. I see no problem with this. I remember kids being asked to leave Gilman when I was in high school, and ended up at St. Paul's or Boy's Latin. Happened all the time. 

So you think it's ok for a kid to flunk out of one school and go right in and play sports at another. That's why we have all the problems with the youth these days because the adults are not teaching them. Don't know about you but had I flunked out of one school I definitely would not have been playing at another because it's hard to run with a foot in your ***. 

There’s a really great interview with Nick Saban from years ago where he absolutely grilled the press for judgement on giving second chances. He was 1000% correct. These are children. They will make mistakes. You have to give them the benefit of the doubt that they will learn from the mistake. Some won’t, but you can’t live in fear of that happening. 

I hope the kid ends up doing well wherever he lands. I’ve heard the DT/OG thing is a touchy subject, so hopefully he figures it out. He was almost impossible to tackle 1v1 in 2017. If it were me, I would of been mixing it up on the DL last year. He would of given OC’s headaches there as a true freshman and that almost never happens. 

3 hours ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

Get the hell out of here GA if you think this is ok your a fool and SF are what the other schools say they’re a football factory that academic crap their spitting is hypocrisy 

5 minutes ago, GOOCH said:

Get the hell out of here GA if you think this is ok your a fool and SF are what the other schools say they’re a football factory that academic crap their spitting is hypocrisy 

They're definitely a football factory. But they're no better than a regular public school, academically. Did you even read what I wrote? I said they're a WORSE school academically, than SJC(St. John's). Would you have a problem if they failed at SJC, and went to Dunbar and played immediately? Because plenty of kids have failed out of privates, and went to play at Dunbar. 

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, jbmad said:

So you think it's ok for a kid to flunk out of one school and go right in and play sports at another. That's why we have all the problems with the youth these days because the adults are not teaching them. Don't know about you but had I flunked out of one school I definitely would not have been playing at another because it's hard to run with a foot in your ***. 

No I wouldn't. Did you have a problem with kids like McGriff or Ellis, who were well known to have had academic problems at their former school, go to a BETTER ACADEMIC SCHOOL like McDonogh? St. Frances is not a better academic school than St. John's. 

Edited by GREYHOUND ALUM

GA exactly, they acting like these teenagers do not deserve a second chance. But what is the miaa eligibility rule when it comes to gpa or failing classes?

41 minutes ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

No I wouldn't. Did you have a problem with kids like McGriff or Ellis, who were well known to have had academic problems at their former school, go to a BETTER ACADEMIC SCHOOL like McDonogh? St. Frances is not a better academic school than St. John's. 

Yeah and we talked about that before

5 hours ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

How do you get into a school where its academically challenging in the 1st place? 

So here is a story. I once had a high school friend.  He was really big into figure skating. One of the top ten males nationally. He applied to Georgetown with a 1350 SAT and 3.9 GPA. He failed to get in. The day after recieving his rejection letter. A prominent Basketball Coach stood in front of a bank of Microphone lamenting the NCAA becuase geting an 800 and 2.0 was too difficult.  That coach was the coach at Georgetown!

11 minutes ago, city40blast said:

GA exactly, they acting like these teenagers do not deserve a second chance. But what is the miaa eligibility rule when it comes to gpa or failing classes?

City everybody deserves a second chance IMO,  just think some type of consequences need to be set. Whether it be summer school or sitting out until requirements are met.

6 minutes ago, jbmad said:

City everybody deserves a second chance IMO,  just think some type of consequences need to be set. Whether it be summer school or sitting out until requirements are met.

It’s bad to say it but u take summer school away and some of these schools would only field 20 players lol. City and poly kids be in summer school to make also. 

3 hours ago, Silverbullet said:

There’s a really great interview with Nick Saban from years ago where he absolutely grilled the press for judgement on giving second chances. He was 1000% correct. These are children. They will make mistakes. You have to give them the benefit of the doubt that they will learn from the mistake. Some won’t, but you can’t live in fear of that happening. 

I hope the kid ends up doing well wherever he lands. I’ve heard the DT/OG thing is a touchy subject, so hopefully he figures it out. He was almost impossible to tackle 1v1 in 2017. If it were me, I would of been mixing it up on the DL last year. He would of given OC’s headaches there as a true freshman and that almost never happens. 

I agree that we always want to provide second chances, but those have to be earned. When a child makes a mistake, as parents and educators, we want to call them on it, have a consequence (in this case it might be sitting out a season) and then create a road to recovery. Our schools and athletic departments, have avoided this because it's hard to do, they don't want to deal with the parents and it might affect the chance to have a winning team.  My question in this case would be - did SJC ask him to leave as he could not do the work, or did they say you can stay but can't play this season (as you need to focus on schoolwork and study habits)...and he/his parents decided to roll instead. I don't know the answer to that, but would be interested to know. 

12 minutes ago, city40blast said:

It’s bad to say it but u take summer school away and some of these schools would only field 20 players lol. City and poly kids be in summer school to make also. 

Agree 100% that is a program that gives kids a second chance

1 minute ago, Express said:

I agree that we always want to provide second chances, but those have to be earned. When a child makes a mistake, as parents and educators, we want to call them on it, have a consequence (in this case it might be sitting out a season) and then create a road to recovery. Our schools and athletic departments, have avoided this because it's hard to do, they don't want to deal with the parents and it might affect the chance to have a winning team.  My question in this case would be - did SJC ask him to leave as he could not do the work, or did they say you can stay but can't play this season (as you need to focus on schoolwork and study habits)...and he/his parents decided to roll instead. I don't know the answer to that, but would be interested to know. 

I can respect that take. IMO, sitting out a year can do more harm than good in terms of fixing your mentality, especially in 2018. 20 years ago? I’d probably be on the other side of this one. 

I don’t know the specifics, but most of the top privates will have a “review” after the year if it seems like your grades aren’t up to par. Most of the time, they convince you that it’s not a good fit. So no, they don’t technically ask you to leave. It’s more of a mutual decision to explore different options. It’s very business like. 

24 minutes ago, jbmad said:

Now this is different. These kids do go to summer school. You were assuming they didn't. McGriff and Ellis both went to summer school. I have much more of a problem with the McGriff and Ellis situation, than the kids going to a lesser school and being eligible. 

Would we give second chances to little Johnny if he didn't run a 4.3 40 or bench 300 lb 20 times probably not. These kids if they were coached properly know the deal before they get in high school. If their high school coach is any good he will stay on top of the situation, chances are these kids had a lot of "second chances" and either couldn't or didn't want to do what they should have

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

Ted, I have heard your hating *** have ridiculed MY son for too long and never said anything because it was about football and I could care less what you said about football because his playing ability speaks for itself. That’s why he is now enrolled at VT. He earned it. It was never given. I don’t know what your issue is with us or him, nor do care, but I’m not gonna let you speak on a public message board about something you know NOTHING about, especially his grades. DeJuan never had a failing grade at Bishop O’Connell nor McDonogh. Actually, he never had one since entering kindergarten. I am an educator myself and definitely would never let my son go out like that. You or anyone else that didn’t go to DJO don’t know the issues that went on with any of those “black” kids that went to DJO because nothing was ever said publically about it. 

McDonogh’s vigorous academic curriculum is the MAIN reason he chose that school. He could of went to St. Francis, too but chose not to. He had offers at DJO, so as much as y’all would like to say he transfered only for football reasons is BS. 

You really mad because you wanted him to fail so bad, but that will NEVER happen as long as he has breath in his body. You really have no clue of who or what my family is about, so keep that Ellis name off your finger tips because I gaureentee you that you will never have the balls to say all you say about these kids face to face to them or their parents. See, I don’t hide behind a fake screen name and never will. That to me is cowardish. Now let me sit back and enjoy my son’s graduation from MCDONOGH SCHOOL and his college send-off to VT, while I don’t have to pay one cent. ✌🏽

Oh, and you or whoever can ridicule me about commenting on a public message board. Shoot your shot. 

TONYA ELLIS

Edited by Tellis

6 hours ago, jbmad said:

Best way for the youngsters to learn is to force them to sit out out for year. No one is held accountable for their own actions anymore. What are we teaching these youngsters, it’s alright we’ll just move on and act like nothing happened? 

2 hours ago, OldBallCoach said:

Agree 100% that is a program that gives kids a second chance

Well somebody let the Rev Do Right know I’m sending him 4 kids from New Era thats 5 6 125 pounds they need second chances too

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Tellis said:

Ted, I have heard your hating *** have ridiculed MY son for too long and never said anything because it was about football and I could care less what you said about football because his playing ability speaks for itself. That’s why he is now enrolled at VT. He earned it. It was never given. I don’t know what your issue is with us or him, nor do care, but I’m not gonna let you speak on a public message board about something you no NOTHING about, especially his grades. DeJuan never had a failing grade at Bishop O’Connell nor McDonogh. Actually, he never had one since entering kindergarten. I am an educator myself and definitely would never let my son go out like that. You or anyone else that didn’t go to DJO don’t know the issues that went on with any of those “black” kids that went to DJO because nothing was ever said publically about it. 

McDonogh’s vigorous academic curriculum is the MAIN reason he choose that school. He could of went to St. Francis, too but chose not to. He had offers at DJO, so as much as y’all would like to say he transfered only for football reasons is BS. 

You really mad because you wanted him to fail so bad, but that will NEVER happen as long as he has breath in his body. You really have no clue of who or what my family is about, so keep that Ellis name off your finger tips because I gaureentee you that you will never have the balls to say all you say about these kids face to face to them or their parents. See, I don’t hide behind a fake screen name and never will. That to me is cowardish. Now let me sit back and enjoy my son’s graduation from MCDONOGH SCHOOL and his college send-off to VT, while I don’t have to pay one cent. ✌🏽

Oh, and you or whoever can ridicule me about commenting on a public message board. Shoot your shot. 

TONYA ELLIS

I never hated on your son! In fact, I said he was the greatest youth league player I've ever seen play! And best overall athlete in the state  FACTS! I don't hate anything about him, think he will be an outstanding college player. Just not at QB. This is just my opinion, nothing else.  

You definitely do not know me, if you think I wouldn't say it to anybody's face. I'm definitely built that way. Have said it too many on here and behind. You know Brawley, ask him. 

Edited by GREYHOUND ALUM

1 hour ago, Oldtime said:

Best way for the youngsters to learn is to force them to sit out out for year. No one is held accountable for their own actions anymore. What are we teaching these youngsters, it’s alright we’ll just move on and act like nothing happened? 

There are a lot of factors that come into these situations. SJC isn’t exactly “easy” academically. If you come from an under achieving grade school system, the learning curve is massive. They don’t slow down for you since most of these parents are throwing 20k a year in tuition. If a student gets behind, sometimes it snowballs. The school will step in and “review” the situation and probably suggest another option that is better for all parties. 

I could go down a long list of kids that had this happen and it was covered up as just a “transfer”. I want to make it glaringly obvious that Ellis from McD would not be on this list. I’m not trying to get ragdolled on the Internet. 

27 minutes ago, Silverbullet said:

There are a lot of factors that come into these situations. SJC isn’t exactly “easy” academically. If you come from an under achieving grade school system, the learning curve is massive. They don’t slow down for you since most of these parents are throwing 20k a year in tuition. If a student gets behind, sometimes it snowballs. The school will step in and “review” the situation and probably suggest another option that is better for all parties. 

I could go down a long list of kids that had this happen and it was covered up as just a “transfer”. I want to make it glaringly obvious that Ellis from McD would not be on this list. I’m not trying to get ragdolled on the Internet. 

By the way, I never said that Ellis or McGriff were kicked out of their respective schools. Neither would have gotten into McD, if they were asked to leave academically from their schools. I was speaking on the use of summer school to get caught up to the curriculum at McDonogh. By the way, I had to go to summer school before I attended Gilman, and I went to a top notch middle school and did very well. 

4 hours ago, cfoty said:

Would we give second chances to little Johnny if he didn't run a 4.3 40 or bench 300 lb 20 times probably not. These kids if they were coached properly know the deal before they get in high school. If their high school coach is any good he will stay on top of the situation, chances are these kids had a lot of "second chances" and either couldn't or didn't want to do what they should have

I believe you are correct on already having being given plenty of chances.  

5 minutes ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

By the way, I never said that Ellis or McGriff were kicked out of their respective schools. Neither would have gotten into McD, if they were asked to leave academically from their schools. I was speaking on the use of summer school to get caught up to the curriculum at McDonogh. By the way, I had to go to summer school before I attended Gilman, and I went to a top notch middle school and did very well. 

Oh I understood the point you were making. It was a valid example. There is an academic jump from DJO to MCD. Not so much from SJC to SFA. Sometimes people digest words differently on here, especially when emotions are involved. Tonya obviously wasn’t playing around today. I can respect that.