Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EL-FLIPPO

Most Senior Military Officials Were Surprised By Trump "War Games" Announcement

33 posts in this topic

Mr. Trump told reporters in Singapore after his summit, "We will be stopping the war games, which will save us a tremendous amount of money. (The military doesn't use the term "war games." It calls them exercises)

But the suspension of exercises hit the traveling delegation like a bombshell and sent members scrambling to notify the South Koreans, catching most senior officials by surprise and leaving them unable to explain what the suspension of "war games" means. For instance, they don't know whether Mr. Trump was referring to exercises like sending F-22 fighter jets to South Korea to conduct training, or eliminating long-range bomber flights over the Korean peninsula, or Foal Eagle, which is the name of the combined field training exercises conducted every year by the U.S. and South Korea.

Meanwhile, the United States Forces Korea, which conducts the exercises, said in a statement that it has received "no updated guidance on execution or cessation of training exercises. In coordination with our ROK partners, we will continue with our current military posture until we receive updated guidance from the Department of Defense (DoD) and/or Indo-Pacific Command."

CBS

Aren't most liberals against such exercises?.... 

I seem to recall terms like saber rattling.....

South Korea as well. The guy that loves to think of himself as the ultimate deal-maker got taken to the cleaners.

Posted (edited)

duplicate

Edited by EL-FLIPPO

17 minutes ago, Eastside Terp said:

That may or may not be true.

But for the President's senior officials and traveling delegation to be caught completely off guard on such an important negotiating point just highlights Tramp's arrogance toward his own advisors and senior staff. He feels that he can improvise on an event that requires major preparation and co-ordination. But his attention span and ego won't allow it. He even looks askance on ordinary daily White House briefings.

3 minutes ago, EL-FLIPPO said:

That may or may not be true.

But for the President's senior officials and traveling delegation to be caught completely off guard on such an important negotiating point just highlights Tramp's arrogance toward his own advisors and senior staff. He feels that he can improvise on an event that requires major preparation and co-ordination. But his attention span and ego won't allow it. He even looks askance on ordinary daily White House briefings.

I don't believe the folks that needed to know, didn't know what was on the table .....

Not really concerned if some politicians, especially Lindsey gramasty got their feeling hurt ....

Sure McCain still wants to bomb nk.....

1 minute ago, Eastside Terp said:

I don't believe the folks that needed to know, didn't know what was on the table .....

Not really concerned if some politicians, especially Lindsey gramasty got their feeling hurt ....

Sure McCain still wants to bomb nk.....

Neither the news article nor myself even mentioned politicians.

Please re-read my OP excerpt of the CBS article.

1 minute ago, EL-FLIPPO said:

I reread it ....

Said Mattis wasn't surprised, and mentioned a couple senators that were ....

Even has a big picture of lindsey gramasty.....

5 minutes ago, Eastside Terp said:

Mattis was the only one mentioned. Do you think that he was the only senior official with a need to know?

Trump caused a lot of unnecessary confusion with his impulsiveness and lack of co-ordination:

But the suspension of exercises hit the traveling delegation like a bombshell and sent members scrambling to notify the South Koreans, catching most senior officials by surprise and leaving them unable to explain what the suspension of "war games" means.

13 minutes ago, blowboatbethesda said:

Military axiom: There's always some SOB that didn't get the word. ;):)

There's another military axiom that applies:

SNAFU.

1 hour ago, Eastside Terp said:

Shouldn't the president coordinate such decisions with the military and our key allies to avoid making us look like idiots? I seem to recall terms like moron.

1 hour ago, Eastside Terp said:

Yup.  Saber rattling and "trying to goad NK into a war".

1 hour ago, michiganjoe said:

South Korea as well. The guy that loves to think of himself as the ultimate deal-maker got taken to the cleaners.

I don't believe he actually wrote or had any input to the "Art of the Deal".  He is a poser.

1 hour ago, EL-FLIPPO said:

Mattis was the only one mentioned. Do you think that he was the only senior official with a need to know?

Trump caused a lot of unnecessary confusion with his impulsiveness and lack of co-ordination:

He also stabbed Yet another crucial US ally in the back

9 hours ago, EL-FLIPPO said:

Playing it by ear, off the cuff, flying by the seat of his pants, or....Putin told him to cancel. 

🙂

12 hours ago, Eastside Terp said:

Wouldn't most "conservatives" be having a stroke if this was done a couple years ago.

I think if I were the Pres., I would avoid my SECDEF, consulted or not, for the near & distant future. These mil. exercises w/ what we used to call allies are scheduled years in advance.

& If I were Mattis, I'd be gauging whether I was "Mad Dog" enough to grab my Pres. by his necktie, twirl it & him over my head a dozen times, & sling him into the Rose Garden.

We used to speak of "continuity of government" in the event of a national disaster; right now, this is being strained to the max in credibility & in fact by a Pres. that knows only discontinuity & because HE is the national disaster.

11 hours ago, EL-FLIPPO said:

When I was in the corps we used to say we were “first to go, last to know”.  Gearing up for ops only to be shut down day of isn’t unusual in the military. This is just the MSM scrambling around looking for anyway possible to cast this historic summit in a negative light.

1 minute ago, Hexexis said:

I think if I were the Pres., I would avoid my SECDEF, consulted or not, for the near & distant future. These mil. exercises w/ what we used to call allies are scheduled years in advance.

& If I were Mattis, I'd be gauging whether I was "Mad Dog" enough to grab my Pres. by his necktie, twirl it & him over my head a dozen times, & sling him into the Rose Garden.

We used to speak of "continuity of government" in the event of a national disaster; right now, this is being strained to the max in credibility & in fact by a Pres. that knows only discontinuity & because HE is the national disaster.

Meanwhile in the real world, the Sec. Def. will respect the direction of the CIC, and see that everyone else does. 

"There's nobody bigger or better at the military than I am." moron in the WH

Edited by ODENTON

1 hour ago, mrdeltoid said:

When I was in the corps we used to say we were “first to go, last to know”.  Gearing up for ops only to be shut down day of isn’t unusual in the military. This is just the MSM scrambling around looking for anyway possible to cast this historic summit in a negative light.

They don't need to be scrambling to cast the summit in a negative light. It's as plain as day, as if reporting on the sky being blue.

14 hours ago, Eastside Terp said:

I don’t have a problem with pausing Military Drills while we negotiate with Kim. 

The bigger problem is Trump seeming to suggest the Drills are a waste of money and not necessary. That will make it more difficult to continue those practices if negotiations break down. 

15 hours ago, EL-FLIPPO said:

There's another military axiom that applies:

SNAFU.

And yet another equally applicable: FUBAR!