Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EL-FLIPPO

Most Senior Military Officials Were Surprised By Trump "War Games" Announcement

33 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Pickle20 said:

They don't need to be scrambling to cast the summit in a negative light. It's as plain as day, as if reporting on the sky being blue.

So you think the summit was a bad thing? 

7 minutes ago, mrdeltoid said:

Answer that question with Obama or Clinton being President instead of Trump.

7 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

Answer that question with Obama or Clinton being President instead of Trump.

What part of the summit do you consider bad?

11 minutes ago, mrdeltoid said:

No guarantees, legitimizing a dictator with praise, looking weak, etc.

Having dialog between the two countries is not bad, I just don't want Trump being the one participating in that dialog. But he is President.

Now answer my question.

Edited by Pickle20

18 minutes ago, mrdeltoid said:

The summit wasn't a bad thing.  The Trump approach to foreign policy over the past week was.  Call me skeptical, negative, etc., but I don't think the nuclear threat from NK is over despite Trump declaring it so.

53 minutes ago, mrdeltoid said:

The part where the leader of the United States of America heaped fulsome, public praise on the leader of a brutal, repressive, concentration-camp regime; the part where we, without notice to one of our closest allies, canceled military exercises with that ally, both in exchange for . . . nothing.

And, yes, despite your attempts to poo-poo it earlier, canceling all future exercises with South Korea, particularly in such an off-the-cuff manner, *is* a big deal (and, also yes, I'm a veteran, too, so no need to persist in waving that card in my face.) 

Summits and talking -- even with our adversaries -- are almost always good, in the sense that it's almost always better to keep lines of communication open; there may be little hope of change, but there can be no hope of change where there's no dialogue.  But there is a right and a wrong way to do this effectively with our adversaries, and President "I don't need to prepare because I'm just so naturally brilliant at everything" did this one the wrong way. 

Maybe future meetings will go better.  We'll see.  North Korea has been dancing around us for many years; it's difficult to really affect such a repressively closed country with whom we interact (trade, finance, etc.) so little, and that has for so long been protected by a far more powerful nation (China.) 

Edited by TripleM

I've hoped, for some time, that we could pull our troops out of Korea... and lots of other places around the world. But it would need to be predicated on North Korea backing away from its typical hyper-belligerency and its preparations to invade South Korea.