Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
com6063

Democrats urge Congress to take action on 'appalling rates of poverty'

118 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, com6063 said:

An excerpt:

Bernie Sanders and a group of top Democrats are calling on the Trump administration to present a plan to Congress to combat “massive levels of deprivation and the immense suffering this deprivation causes”, following an excoriating United Nations report into extreme poverty in America.

They stand ready, the signatories say, to work with the Trump administration “to address appalling rates of child poverty, destructive economic policies that benefit the wealthy over the working poor … and lack of access to basic necessities in rural and underserved communities”.

As you may know I care about children and it tears me up to think of homeless children in America. I know that finger pointing and accusations will probably ensue but there really no excuse for homelessness in the richest nation on earth. :(

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jun/12/democrats-poverty-calls-congress-us-rates-statistics

Why didn't Obama address this poverty?

13 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

You didn’t say lower poverty, you said prevent poverty. 

Really?  Ok, I'lll play. Yes.  Prevent doesn't mean eliminate.  Prevent Blindness.  Only You Can Prevent Forest Fires.

The goal may be to eliminate but in reality, lowering the rate is what we need to target. 

1 hour ago, flyboy56 said:

Why didn't Obama address this poverty?

Ever heard of Obamacare?

“The Affordable Care Act is the single biggest blow against poverty since the 1960s…”

3 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

What should congress do about mass transit specifically? What college loan policy? Last I checked there were millions of people getting medical assistance for free , getting food stamps, housing assistance, etc. 

Well congress could start by not spending such unGodly amounts on defense, and enough with the troops all over the globe.  Take that money and use it for OUR infrastructure.  Part of that could be the Feds assisting the states with funds for those states to build state of the art mass transit systems.  We should really be taking the national highway approach to mass transit.  A nation-wide project to build coast to coast transit, just like we did with the highways.  That would be a great start IMHO.

11 minutes ago, hst2 said:

Ever heard of Obamacare?

“The Affordable Care Act is the single biggest blow against poverty since the 1960s…”

ooops

3 minutes ago, banner1124 said:

Well congress could start by not spending such unGodly amounts on defense, and enough with the troops all over the globe.  Take that money and use it for OUR infrastructure.  Part of that could be the Feds assisting the states with funds for those states to build state of the art mass transit systems.  We should really be taking the national highway approach to mass transit.  A nation-wide project to build coast to coast transit, just like we did with the highways.  That would be a great start IMHO.

One would think that American companies would be lobbying for massive infrastructure and mass transit spending. 

Then again, most Americans only want tax dollars focused on other countries' infrastructure, cool weapons and bigger bonuses for executives.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, hst2 said:

Ever heard of Obamacare?

Far as I know the ACA is still in affect. What else concerning poverty could Obama have addressed that Democrats want Trump to address now?

Edited by flyboy56

1 hour ago, banner1124 said:

All great ideas that I agree with  but how does that solve poverty?

2 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

All great ideas that I agree with  but how does that solve poverty?

How does millions more jobs pluse a thriving transportation system solve poverty?  REALLY? 

Look, it aint gonna solve poverty but I would think all those jobs and eventually a system where people could readily and easily commute greater distance would go quite a ways to put a dent in it.

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, flyboy56 said:

Far as I know the ACA is still in affect. What else concerning poverty could Obama have addressed that Democrats want Trump to address now?

One thing would be to not destroy Obamacare.  The GOP has done little else over the past 8-10 years. It gives one a pretty good idea of their low regard for the poor. They would like the Republicans to strengthen the food stamp program and SNAP. and raise the minimum wage. They should strengthen Planned Parenthood because they provide healthcare to poor women in underserved areas.

Edited by hst2

13 hours ago, ivanbalt said:

Why hasn't decades of tax cuts for the wealthy trickled down to address poverty?  :rolleyes:

Check out how much money has been spent on the war on poverty and the results then get back to me.

11 hours ago, gonzoliberal said:

This is the biggest pile of steaming poultry litter I've seen yet today.  Nothing but a personal attack masquerading as an 'astute' observation.

Actually, that's about all your posts do.... ever.

Reality bites. Have another bong hit.

Just now, Lombardi6 said:

Reality bites. Have another bong hit.

Yes, 'reality' bites.  ...and cannabis helps... especially with chronic back pain.

Do you have a point, or just another attack?

2 minutes ago, gonzoliberal said:

Yes, 'reality' bites.  ...and cannabis helps... especially with chronic back pain.

Do you have a point, or just another attack?

The point is my post was correct.

7 minutes ago, Lombardi6 said:

The point is my post was correct.

Your post was your OPINION, correctness of which is entirely subjective.

When asked to support your opinion, you attacked.

So typical of Trumpists...

3 hours ago, banner1124 said:

How does millions more jobs pluse a thriving transportation system solve poverty?  REALLY? 

Look, it aint gonna solve poverty but I would think all those jobs and eventually a system where people could readily and easily commute greater distance would go quite a ways to put a dent in it.

Many low income people work late shifts. Cheap, frequent mass transit would be a real benefit. Make it easier to keep a job.

31 minutes ago, Lombardi6 said:

Check out how much money has been spent on the war on poverty and the results then get back to me.

“Our estimates…show that historical trends in poverty have been more favorable—and that government programs have played a larger role—than [previous] estimates suggest… Government programs today are cutting poverty nearly in half (from 29% to 16%) while in 1967 they only cut poverty by about one percentage point.”

Link

57 minutes ago, hst2 said:

“Our estimates…show that historical trends in poverty have been more favorable—and that government programs have played a larger role—than [previous] estimates suggest… Government programs today are cutting poverty nearly in half (from 29% to 16%) while in 1967 they only cut poverty by about one percentage point.”

Link

How the War on Poverty Succeeded (in Four Charts)

"Succeeded" hst2? The war on poverty is ongoing and will never come to an end. Plus your article is rather dated. Any new developments in your Democratic circles?

3 minutes ago, com6063 said:

How the War on Poverty Succeeded (in Four Charts)

"Succeeded" hst2? The war on poverty is ongoing and will never come to an end. Plus your article is rather dated. Any new developments in your Democratic circles?

The War on Poverty, in this case, is a reference to the social programs of Lyndon Johnson in the 1960s. They succeeded in lowering the poverty rate. The point is rhat government programs can help,

17 minutes ago, hst2 said:

The War on Poverty, in this case, is a reference to the social programs of Lyndon Johnson in the 1960s. They succeeded in lowering the poverty rate. The point is rhat government programs can help,

Yes of course they can help do you think I'm blind? But they are not a cure, but simply a band aid on a malignant tumor. It takes much much more than a "government program."

15 hours ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

(1) then why do you seek to hold those who oppose abortion responsible for the lives that are not ended in the womb?  The fact is that we are all responsible for each other and until we remember that, we are well and truly screwed.

(2) We have lived in an “I got mine, screw you” country since about 1965, well before anything even close to “at the moment”.  And it doesn’t start at the top, it starts with us.  The “top” is the result of our choices.

the answer to one is fairly easy.....you are reaching in to somebody's reproductive organs and you are denying them their opportunity to make a choice....not that hard to understand....then again, for some it may be.....in what way are we responsible for each other?

and yes, the type of behavior we are seeing today is a direct result of what is sitting in the WH.....

8 hours ago, com6063 said:

Yes of course they can help do you think I'm blind? But they are not a cure, but simply a band aid on a malignant tumor. It takes much much more than a "government program."

If you look closer, you will see that my post was in response to one suggesting that they do no help.

In a country as spiritually dead as this one, government programs are your best bet.

10 hours ago, Lombardi6 said:

I asked why hasn't decades of tax cuts for the wealthy trickled down to address poverty?  No answer?

2 hours ago, ivanbalt said:

I asked why hasn't decades of tax cuts for the wealthy trickled down to address poverty?  No answer?

Good one!