Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
com6063

Democrats urge Congress to take action on 'appalling rates of poverty'

118 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, hst2 said:

If you look closer, you will see that my post was in response to one suggesting that they do no help.

In a country as spiritually dead as this one, government programs are your best bet.

Too much red tape involved for these programs to make much of a difference.

24 minutes ago, com6063 said:

Too much red tape involved for these programs to make much of a difference.

A previous post points out that they have made a difference.

15 minutes ago, hst2 said:

A previous post points out that they have made a difference.

As stated, they can help make a difference.

12 hours ago, can you hear me now! said:

the answer to one is fairly easy.....you are reaching in to somebody's reproductive organs and you are denying them their opportunity to make a choice....not that hard to understand....then again, for some it may be.....in what way are we responsible for each other?

and yes, the type of behavior we are seeing today is a direct result of what is sitting in the WH.....

Yes.  I would deny people the choice of ending a life, since such a choice in unethical, immoral and inconsistent with the most basic laws of nature.  If we are not responsible for each other, if we are not responsible to assist the least among us, what is the point of this thread?  Why would Democrats allegedly care about the poor (not that I think they care anymore than Republicans) at all?  

And the person in the WH is no more and no less responsible for the type of behavior we are seeing today than is the one who sat there before him, or before him, or before him...all the way back to Washington.  Societies don’t change in 18 months.

Edited by MiddleOfTheRoad

7 minutes ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

Yes.  I would deny people the choice of ending a life, since such a choice in unethical, immoral and inconsistent with the most basic laws of nature.  If we are not responsible for each other, if we are not responsible to assist the least among us, what is the point of this thread?  Why would Democrats allegedly care about the poor (not that I think they care anymore than Republicans) at all?  

And the person in the WH is no more and no less responsible for the type of behavior we are seeing today than is the one who sat there before him, or before him, or before him...all the way back to Washington.  Societies don’t change in 18 months.

Fortunately SCOTUS disagrees.

3 minutes ago, songfourone said:

Fortunately SCOTUS disagrees.

Yeah, because affording ourselves the right to end a life without cause is something that should make us so proud.  :rolleyes:

11 minutes ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

Because every once in a while, the discussion should turn to the needs and issues  confronting the people who are walking on the face of the earth, not to mention, the earth itself. 

1 minute ago, hst2 said:

Because every once in a while, the discussion should turn to the needs and issues  confronting the people who are walking on the face of the earth, not to mention, the earth itself. 

I agree.  We are responsible for each other and caring for the needs and issues of those who, for whatever reason, are unable to care for themselves.  And we should act responsibly in caring for the earth, if for no other reason than that there really isn’t a back-up plan.

None of which has anything to do with ending fetal lives.

9 minutes ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

I agree.  We are responsible for each other and caring for the needs and issues of those who, for whatever reason, are unable to care for themselves.  And we should act responsibly in caring for the earth, if for no other reason than that there really isn’t a back-up plan.

None of which has anything to do with ending fetal lives.

Ending fetal lives is not the topic of the thread.

16 minutes ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

Yeah, because affording ourselves the right to end a life without cause is something that should make us so proud.  :rolleyes:

Feel free to execise your choice!!

;)

18 hours ago, ms maggie said:

Many low income people work late shifts. Cheap, frequent mass transit would be a real benefit. Make it easier to keep a job.

I agree with you the US needs more mass transit options. The poor and the old folks would benefit from this. We all may not be poor but we sure as heck are getting older and our driving privilege may be revoked leaving us old folks relying on others to get us around. That has to suck.

34 minutes ago, flyboy56 said:

I agree with you the US needs more mass transit options. The poor and the old folks would benefit from this. We all may not be poor but we sure as heck are getting older and our driving privilege may be revoked leaving us old folks relying on others to get us around. That has to suck.

Not an expert by any means but the advantages of modern mass transit just seem so obvious.

8 hours ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

so if you are so pro-life, why aren't you out disarming bad guys? they are making a choice to end a life with actions that are immoral, unethical, and not only inconsistent with the most basic laws of nature, but also against the law on a state and federal level. Abortions, for now, are not against the law. Let's just cut to the chase and be more accurate, you are pro-birth not pro-life.

Edited by can you hear me now!

1 hour ago, can you hear me now! said:

so if you are so pro-life, why aren't you out disarming bad guys? they are making a choice to end a life with actions that are immoral, unethical, and not only inconsistent with the most basic laws of nature, but also against the law on a state and federal level. Abortions, for now, are not against the law. Let's just cut to the chase and be more accurate, you are pro-birth not pro-life.

I agree, let’s be more accurate; you are pro-death, which is the reality of pro-choice.

37 minutes ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

I agree, let’s be more accurate; you are pro-death, which is the reality of pro-choice.

Yes, the terms fit. What is the opposite of life? Death. Funny to see the pro aborts dance around terminology in order to justify their own illogical beliefs.

On 6/12/2018 at 7:06 PM, com6063 said:

An excerpt:

Bernie Sanders and a group of top Democrats are calling on the Trump administration to present a plan to Congress to combat “massive levels of deprivation and the immense suffering this deprivation causes”, following an excoriating United Nations report into extreme poverty in America.

They stand ready, the signatories say, to work with the Trump administration “to address appalling rates of child poverty, destructive economic policies that benefit the wealthy over the working poor … and lack of access to basic necessities in rural and underserved communities”.

As you may know I care about children and it tears me up to think of homeless children in America. I know that finger pointing and accusations will probably ensue but there really no excuse for homelessness in the richest nation on earth. :(

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jun/12/democrats-poverty-calls-congress-us-rates-statistics

hmmmmm-- wonder why they didn't take this issue on when they had the WH and both houses of Congress?  Were there no poor people back then- you mean Trump drove all those people into poverty in 500 days????

8 hours ago, Saticon3 said:

hmmmmm-- wonder why they didn't take this issue on when they had the WH and both houses of Congress?  Were there no poor people back then- you mean Trump drove all those people into poverty in 500 days????

They passed Obamacare, the strongest ant-poverty program since the 1960s.

The Republicans obsession with repealing it gives one a good idea of how they feel about helping the poor.

16 hours ago, flyboy56 said:

Those things on top of the amount of time people spend sitting in traffic during the work week.  There's a lot of lost money there.