Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Marshan Man

Ben Jealous for governor

154 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Quote

Maryland voters deserve a real choice in November’s election for governor, and we believe Democrat Ben Jealous provides the clearest alternative to Gov. Larry Hogan. It’s not just that the former NAACP president and CEO has the stature or political skills to run a competitive campaign against the popular and extremely well funded Republican incumbent (though he does), it’s that he presents the strongest contrast to the governor in his vision for the state. We give him our endorsement in the Democratic primary...

...Many Democratic primary voters are probably looking at the field with an eye toward which candidate provides the party with the best chance to beat Governor Hogan. We understand that impulse, but it is not how we made our decision. Rather, we looked for the candidate who is best able to articulate a cohesive progressive vision to contrast with Mr. Hogan’s center-right policies so that voters can send a clear message in November about the direction they want the state to take, and we looked for the candidate who would best be able to govern if he or she wins. Mr. Jealous is the best choice on both counts. He has our endorsement.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/editorial/bs-ed-0613-jealous-endorsement-20180612-story,amp.html

I agree. Ben offers the clearest alternative to Hogan. It would be pristinely clear what direction voters want to take the state in with a Jealous-Hogan matchup. 

Edited by Marshan Man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not gonna happen MM.

So sorry for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

Not gonna happen MM.

So sorry for you.

You can’t take his dream away 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he wins he can start working on the red line again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marshan Man said:

[/quote]Maryland voters deserve a real choice in November’s election for governor, and we believe Democrat Ben Jealous provides the clearest alternative to Gov. Larry Hogan. It’s not just that the former NAACP president and CEO has the stature or political skills to run a competitive campaign against the popular and extremely well funded Republican incumbent (though he does), it’s that he presents the strongest contrast to the governor in his vision for the state. We give him our endorsement in the Democratic primary...

...Many Democratic primary voters are probably looking at the field with an eye toward which candidate provides the party with the best chance to beat Governor Hogan. We understand that impulse, but it is not how we made our decision. Rather, we looked for the candidate who is best able to articulate a cohesive progressive vision to contrast with Mr. Hogan’s center-right policies so that voters can send a clear message in November about the direction they want the state to take, and we looked for the candidate who would best be able to govern if he or she wins. Mr. Jealous is the best choice on both counts. He has our endorsement.[/quote]

https://www.google.com/amp/www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/editorial/bs-ed-0613-jealous-endorsement-20180612-story,amp.html

I agree. Ben offers the clearest alternative to Hogan. It would be pristinely clear what direction voters want to take the state in with a Jealous-Hogan matchup. 

Yeah, Maryland needs a clear alternative to a Governor who is doing a great job. Has Ben promised you the Red Line yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any word yet  on who Jamie Foxx is endorsing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Woodbuchr said:

Yeah, Maryland needs a clear alternative to a Governor who is doing a great job. Has Ben promised you the Red Line yet?

😂😂😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The wording of the endorsement is interesting.  It supports the candidate with the most clearly stated opposing ideas; just right of center vs. progressive (which I read as well left of center), and not necessarily the one they feel has the best chance to defeat Gov Hogan. 

That does - as the endorsement states - give us a clear choice on which way we want the state to go.  I'll be interested to read their endorsement of the Dem that wins the primary. Even if it's not Ben Jealous, I suspect they will promote him or her as a champion of progressive ideas and the clear choice (in their opinion) for our political direction.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe MD isn't ready for that progressive type yet. Jealous lost his lead to Baker and now trails in the latest poll.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Bowie-Bruce said:

Any word yet  on who Jamie Foxx is endorsing?

Kevin Hart is busy with that new game show starting to help out ......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marshan Man said:

... he presents the strongest contrast to the governor in his vision for the state.

So the endorsement is based on him being the farthest-left of the candidates?

If we had a liberal Democrat as the incumbent, would the Sun endorse the farthest-right of the Republicans?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Woodbuchr said:

Yeah, Maryland needs a clear alternative to a Governor who is doing a great job. Has Ben promised you the Red Line yet?

Not everyone thinks he’s doing a great job. He’s doing an adequate job. That’s not enough. The band-aid gov. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

13 minutes ago, regularguy said:

So the endorsement is based on him being the farthest-left of the candidates?

If we had a liberal Democrat as the incumbent, would the Sun endorse the farthest-right of the Republicans?

No. There's basically little contrast between Hogan and Baker. They’re the same thing except Baker would be more likely to raise taxes like he did in PG. Like it said MDers deserve a choice. 

Edited by Marshan Man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Bowie-Bruce said:

Any word yet  on who Jamie Foxx is endorsing?

Probably NOT Hogan. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Marshan Man said:

 Like it said MDers deserve a choice. 

No; we deserve the best candidate... not (necessarily) the one who is farthest politically from the other party's candidate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, regularguy said:

No; we deserve the best candidate... not (necessarily) the one who is farthest politically from the other party's candidate.

Those things aren’t mutually exclusive. They also mention they believe he’s the most capable of governing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Marshan Man said:

Not everyone thinks he’s doing a great job. He’s doing an adequate job. That’s not enough. The band-aid gov. 

Is that code for, "Hogan is too white"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

Maybe MD isn't ready for that progressive type yet. Jealous lost his lead to Baker and now trails in the latest poll.

Question; Can you name any state that is more progressive than MD...besides California...Maybe NY?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

24 minutes ago, Marshan Man said:

Not everyone thinks he’s doing a great job. He’s doing an adequate job. That’s not enough. The band-aid gov. 

You do realize that MOM could run again according to MD code. 

Hmmmm wonder why he didn't? :D

The word 'snowball' comes to mind so does 'winning'.

Shame.... if he came back and won he could get the Red Line ...right on track ;) again. Just in time for Hogan to take the next term.  

Edited by Guido2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, caliber45 said:

Is that code for, "Hogan is too white"?

Ahhhhhhhh….nnnnooooooo wwwwaaaayyyyyyyyyy. :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Marshan Man said:

Those things aren’t mutually exclusive. They also mention they believe he’s the most capable of governing. 

And I believe that I can lift the Hammer of Thor. 

smh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Guido2 said:

Ahhhhhhhh….nnnnooooooo wwwwaaaayyyyyyyyyy. :rolleyes:

Some people like mm fall for that half-black, half-white bs. Jealous' own ad points out this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, caliber45 said:

Is that code for, "Hogan is too white"?

No.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, regularguy said:

No; we deserve the best candidate... not (necessarily) the one who is farthest politically from the other party's candidate.

I think it would be interesting to have Hogan run vs. a far left nut....the race wouldn't be close, but it would be kind of interesting. I think Hogan wins no matter what (short of him killing a puppy or something). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0