Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
regularguy

When will the Sun endorse legislative and county-level candidates?

21 posts in this topic

Early voting starts tomorrow, and there are some offices for which all of the candidates are unknown to me. (We moved recently.)

I always vote early these days. Usually no line!

Why not try googling the candidates online, learning their platform, and then making your own choice?

7 minutes ago, microg said:

Why not try googling the candidates online, learning their platform, and then making your own choice?

I do that too, but in the primary there tend to be lots of candidates who come off sounding the same. I always like to read the Sun's endorsements as part of my research on the local offices. Not that I always vote that way.

1 hour ago, microg said:

If the candidates actually put something substantial on their sites (rep and dems) it might be worth while. 

I have gone to some out of curiosity.....and they are so vague ...well it was worthless. 

While a summary Sun evaluation may also be worthless. At least it gives me some idea of that they 'like'. Then I don't vote for those candidates. :lol:

1 hour ago, regularguy said:

I do that too, but in the primary there tend to be lots of candidates who come off sounding the same. I always like to read the Sun's endorsements as part of my research on the local offices. Not that I always vote that way.

I have to agree. This group of offerings are cut outs for the most part. 

I know this won't happen....but I wish someone pushes a bill for a recall vote or vote of no support for the elected. 

Seems we no longer KNOW what the hell they are really thinking or will do till they are in office. Both parties. 

I noticed that the Sun endorsed Redmer and Olszewski for Baltimore County Executive today.

4 hours ago, retired said:

A general rule-of-thumb: see who The Sun endorses, vote for the other guy.

Well, I would tend to agree with you, however, I was stunned to see that the Sun endorsed Ivan Bates over Mosby. If I lived in the city (phew), I would vote for Ivan Bates. He's truly an all-around experienced litigator. 

10 hours ago, regularguy said:

I noticed that the Sun endorsed Redmer and Olszewski for Baltimore County Executive today.

The Sun went far left in the dem endorsements (Johnny O and Jealous). After I read the Jealous endorsement I came to the conclusion that they will NEVER endorse Hogan. 

3 hours ago, AugusteDupin said:

Well, I would tend to agree with you, however, I was stunned to see that the Sun endorsed Ivan Bates over Mosby. If I lived in the city (phew), I would vote for Ivan Bates. He's truly an all-around experienced litigator. 

She got the all important Elijah Cummings endorsement. Look how much his representation has benefited Baltimore during his 20+ years in office. 

1 hour ago, johnpolitics said:

The Sun went far left in the dem endorsements (Johnny O and Jealous). After I read the Jealous endorsement I came to the conclusion that they will NEVER endorse Hogan. 

Johnny O is going full Bernie Sanders by promising all this “free” stuff. Jealous and O appear to love redistribution of wealth. They are no longer the future of the Democratic Party. Rather, this is the Democrat ideology of today. 

11 hours ago, Manny said:

She got the all important Elijah Cummings endorsement. Look how much his representation has benefited Baltimore during his 20+ years in office. 

He also backed Jessemy over Bernstein in 2010. And Mosby over Bernstein in 2014. And Brown over Gansler in 2014. He loves inferior people. 

12 hours ago, Manny said:

Good joke, Manny!

11 hours ago, Manny said:

Johnny O is going full Bernie Sanders by promising all this “free” stuff. Jealous and O appear to love redistribution of wealth. They are no longer the future of the Democratic Party. Rather, this is the Democrat ideology of today. 

I do not believe that either party will change on it's own accord. 

The only way that will happen is if MD goes to the system being experimented with in California and some other states. That everyone regardless of party can vote in the primaries for anyone. Then the vote are tallied and the top two....it could be d/d r/r or r/d and they go into the general. 

To get the most votes....a given party would seem to have to come up with a 'middle ground' platform that appeals to ALL voters. Which would mean that the voters would actually get what THEY want....not what the party thinks THEY want. 

JMTs. Just speculation

On 6/15/2018 at 10:33 AM, sparky1 said:

i think open primaries are the way to go. Maine went to ranked choice voting and that is really the way to go to elect someone with the most support. 

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/06/maines-ranked-choice-voting-system-could-give-voters-more-power-and-discourage-extremists.html

That system nearly produced a disaster in California. 

It did not happen but there was panic

what was the disaster? 

There is nothing wrong with parties being upset because they can't pick their opponents .

57 minutes ago, sparky1 said:

what was the disaster? 

There is nothing wrong with parties being upset because they can't pick their opponents .

disaster to THEM.....not the voters.

and I could be wrong but you said they can't pick their opponents . Didn't you mean control who was to be offered to the voters as the candidate? And only that candidate?

Edited by Guido2

No, I meant that the party could not necessarily control that an election would always be a D v R.