Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pickle20

MD gun rights activists challenge bump stock ban

39 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

http://www.wbal.com/article/319137/3/gun-rights-advocates-challenge-maryland-bump-stock-ban

BALTIMORE (AP) — A gun rights group has filed a federal lawsuit challenging Maryland's recently enacted ban on devices that increase the rate of fire of semi-automatic firearms.

The complaint filed Monday by a group called Maryland Shall Issue says the ban passed by the legislature and signed by Gov. Larry Hogan in April violates both the federal and state constitutions.

The ban prohibits the manufacture, possession, sale or transfer of any "rapid fire trigger activator" such as a bump stock. It is scheduled to take effect Oct. 1.

The lawsuit argues among other things that banning the continued possession of devices that are currently legal without compensating their owners amounts to an unconstitutional taking of property.

The plaintiffs also argue that the law is unconstitutionally vague and violates their due process rights.

Find out the average price of a bump stock and compensate anyone with a check for that amount when they hand in their useless and deadly toy-modifiers. Or if they can produce a receipt, reimburse them for the full amount.

Edited by Pickle20

25 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

http://www.wbal.com/article/319137/3/gun-rights-advocates-challenge-maryland-bump-stock-ban

Find out the average price of a bump stock and compensate anyone with a check for that amount when they hand in their useless and deadly toy-modifiers. Or if they can produce a receipt, reimburse them for the full amount.

Or, just take it as a loss and get real.  No one owes them jack IMO since they weren't forced to buy a bump stock.

Besides, it's just a piece of plastic.  If they paid more than 5 bucks for one then they are idiots and should take a loss and get over it.

MD shall issue should stick to what their donors are paying for, which is reasonable shall issue permits that doesn't exclude those who don't have political connections but are law abiding citizens in good standing.

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

Or, just take it as a loss and get real.  No one owes them jack IMO since they weren't forced to buy a bump stock.

Besides, it's just a piece of plastic.  If they paid more than 5 bucks for one then they are idiots and should take a loss and get over it.

MD shall issue should stick to what their donors are paying for, which is reasonable shall issue permits that doesn't exclude those who don't have political connections but are law abiding citizens in good standing.

We agree!

And I was wondering, how many people in MD own bump stocks? Ken, you got one?

But if someone buys something when it's legal, and it is no longer legal, what is the protocol?

Edited by Pickle20

Just now, Pickle20 said:

We agree!

I guess it will snow tonight.

Shall issue won't get another cent from me.

But no loss since I made the mistake to join a few years back before I knew how wacked they are and their stated agenda goes way past the right to carry for law abiding gun owners..

5 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

We agree!

But if someone buys something when it's legal, and it is no longer legal, what is the protocol?

I’ve stated before that I do not own one nor do I have need to own one. 

10 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

We agree!

I know a few who have AR's, one being a ex cop, and I don't know if any of them do have a bump stock.

The cop who is a relative by marriage actually does use his for deer hunting on his farm so I doubt he has one.

I've seen several different "Accessories" over the years for rapid fire but never saw any use for them. To me they're all just Gimmicks. I'm keeping my Original Colt SP1 box stock as it's a Classic.

5 hours ago, jonsensback said:

I know a few who have AR's, one being a ex cop, and I don't know if any of them do have a bump stock.

The cop who is a relative by marriage actually does use his for deer hunting on his farm so I doubt he has one.

How does he use it to hunt deer? He just mows down 6 or 8 deer with one sweep, calls it a day and heads home?

9 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

How does he use it to hunt deer? He just mows down 6 or 8 deer with one sweep, calls it a day and heads home?

I believe he meant the man uses an AR to hunt deer, not a bump stock.

I see no reason for the average citizen to own a bump stock. With that in mind I also don't like the idea of the government being able to make possession of something that was purchased legally before the law was changed illegal. Ex Post Facto should apply. There are a lot of variables with certain firearms and accessories and it is hard to decide where the line should be drawn.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/ex-post-facto-law

6 hours ago, jonsensback said:

I guess it will snow tonight.

Shall issue won't get another cent from me.

But no loss since I made the mistake to join a few years back before I knew how wacked they are and their stated agenda goes way past the right to carry for law abiding gun owners..

I stopped donating years ago. I stick to the 2nd Amendment Foundation. They stick to the legitimate issues.

Nobody needs a bumpstock. Outlaw them, and come down harshly on violatiors. 

1 hour ago, Woodbuchr said:

I see no reason for the average citizen to own a bump stock. With that in mind I also don't like the idea of the government being able to make possession of something that was purchased legally before the law was changed illegal. Ex Post Facto should apply. There are a lot of variables with certain firearms and accessories and it is hard to decide where the line should be drawn.

I agree

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, Woodbuchr said:

I haven't Hunted for Decades but I seriously question the use of the .223 round for larger game. .30-30, .30-06 some specialty rounds like .270 Win Mag and those larger calibers are the norm for deer. The .223 round simply does not have the energy and is usually considered as a varmint round for small game. I have to question anyone using a .223 for deer. I just don't believe it. I don't know anyone who seriously hunts that would consider it.

Edited by Bartman

10 hours ago, PinkFlamingo said:

Lol, not hardly.

He uses it like any other deer rifle.  He has a five shot clip in it with a scope and aims for the vitals one shot at time.

10 hours ago, Woodbuchr said:

Thank you but I don't think the poster knows the difference.

17 hours ago, Pickle20 said:

We agree!

I suspect that some gun owning lawyer zeroed in on that very question either for a hefty fee (or perhaps for an opportunity to get 15 minutes of fame). 

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, Bartman said:

I haven't Hunted for Decades but I seriously question the use of the .223 round for larger game. .30-30, .30-06 some specialty rounds like .270 Win Mag and those larger calibers are the norm for deer. The .223 round simply does not have the energy and is usually considered as a varmint round for small game. I have to question anyone using a .223 for deer. I just don't believe it. I don't know anyone who seriously hunts that would consider it.

AR's are available in more powerful chambering if you look. 

The AR platform can be adapted to dozens of different calibers, And a hand reloader can put togeather 'hot' loads ….while not recommended ….will work in an AR....if relegated to just a couple of shots or a higher quality AR for more than that. 

.223 Remington / 5.56x45mm. ...

.300 AAC Blackout / .300 Whisper. ...

6.5 Grendel. ...

6.8 Remington SPC. ...

5.7x28mm. ...

7.62x39mm. ...

.458 SOCOM.

Further, a lot depends on the shot placement, range and most importantly the skill of the shooter.  But for the most part a 30-30 or 30-06 or .303 (my favorite) is more appropriate overall.  Much of what one can do with any firearm depends on the familiarity of the shooter with the firearm. You can take down a deer easy with a 'dirty harry' .44 mag.....if you know what you are doing. 

Just my thoughts. 

Edited by Guido2

14 hours ago, Woodbuchr said:

I totally agree with the need for a bump stock. I don't need the 'cool' factor. I subscribed to the 'one shot' idea and work hard at that on the range. 

I was totally taken off guard when the Concealed group went after this....as someone stated ….it seems that it is way our of their wheelhouse. 

But is it? 

I think the legal precedence this is setting....that is turn them in with no compensation....is an issue. Down the road, lets say MD decides that everyone that has an AR (or any other firearm for that matter) must turn them in. And because of the legal 'history' they don't have to pay you one dime. Turn them in ..get them out of state or face jail time and financial penalties. 

So lets say someone has invested in a few AR's which could add up to thousands of dollars. Is that fair? If adequate compensation is offered I can 'almost' accept it. But just to turn over....which for some is an investment as well as a hobby. Well that kinda sucks. 

And for those that question the investment aspect. As an example, I purchased and .303 Enfield for about 120. With some TLC and gunsmithing and 'time'. That rifle is now worth 600 or more. In just a span of 10 years. That is a return of about 600% or about 100% per year. 

Tell me...do any of you have a stock portfolio with that kind of return? :D

Posted (edited)

12 hours ago, Guido2 said:

And for those that question the investment aspect. As an example, I purchased and .303 Enfield for about 120. With some TLC and gunsmithing and 'time'. That rifle is now worth 600 or more. In just a span of 10 years. That is a return of about 600% or about 100% per year.

I almost bought a SMLE back around '90 long ago at a show, one guy had a crate of them for like $39. I recall they were short barrel "Jungle Carbines". There were other Oldies like Argentinian Mausers cheap too. Just wasn't interested in old surplus bolt actions. That's where I got my Chinese SKS for like $79. Now That's a Fun and Cheap shooter. Got a thumbhole stock AK for like $200 back then too. Never got around to buying the "Regular" stock and grip for it. Really not as accurate with the shorter barrel as the SKS so not as much Fun on the range. Eventually I caved and for the heck of it after seeing "Enemy at the Gates" I bought a Mosin Nagant for I think it was $129 back then. Never got a scope for it though. It's a Beast! I don't think any of those have Appreciated much. That's OK, I just wanted them for the heck of it. I guess my "Prizes" are my M1 Postal Meter Carbine and my Original Colt AR SP1.

Edited by Bartman

I can’t imagine the shrunken and threatened manhood that would need a bump stock.  

6 hours ago, Dinglehopper said:

I can’t imagine the shrunken and threatened manhood that would need a bump stock.  

That's a pretty extreme judgement. To most it's just another Hobby. Back in the day at Duffy's range on their 4th of July shoots I saw all kinds of hardware up to a 20MM Anti Tank rifle, wheeled 3" Black Powder cannon, and one guy had a twin .30 Browning MG rig. M60's, MG42s, Mac 10's, Uzi's you name it. Those guys had much bigger Wallets than me. Ever see the Vids on You Tube with guys with gigantic RC airplanes up to jets? Same thing if you've got the Cash. I know one guy with 1/2 a dozen 60-70's Muscle cars. Whatever floats your boat. I had one of those once myself too. The vast majority are Responsible people. You get a Nut thrown in there now & then with Any hobby. My stuff has mostly sat in the locker for years now, I've changed Hobbies a couple times over the years. In August I'll be in AC for a week.

something else that belongs on a battlefield and not in someones home.  ban it, and fine people $5,000/day until they turned it in.  that will quickly get them off the streets

1 hour ago, yeah said:

something else that belongs on a battlefield and not in someones home.  ban it, and fine people $5,000/day until they turned it in.  that will quickly get them off the streets

Do you really think the state and fed records show who owns a plastic accessory to a firearm that can purchased without registering with no proof of who bought or owns them?:rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Bartman said:

That's a pretty extreme judgement. To most it's just another Hobby. Back in the day at Duffy's range on their 4th of July shoots I saw all kinds of hardware up to a 20MM Anti Tank rifle, wheeled 3" Black Powder cannon, and one guy had a twin .30 Browning MG rig. M60's, MG42s, Mac 10's, Uzi's you name it. Those guys had much bigger Wallets than me. Ever see the Vids on You Tube with guys with gigantic RC airplanes up to jets? Same thing if you've got the Cash. I know one guy with 1/2 a dozen 60-70's Muscle cars. Whatever floats your boat. I had one of those once myself too. The vast majority are Responsible people. You get a Nut thrown in there now & then with Any hobby. My stuff has mostly sat in the locker for years now, I've changed Hobbies a couple times over the years. In August I'll be in AC for a week.

So AC meaning Atlantic City.....hmmm that could only mean two other hobbies....gambling or bikini watching. Well on second thought....this is NJ not Tampa....bikini watching is more like whale watching with band aids there.

Brrrrss…...