Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
catatonia

Question: Bowie or Frederick

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

My daughter's showing an interest in softball so I figured, what better way than to get her up close and personal to a pro game, even though it's baseball. They still field, hit, and run. This way I can see if she's really serious or not, before I start plunking down money for gloves, bats, etc. Plus I lost my glove and I'd have to buy a new one and wasn't planning on it since my softball days are over (courtesy of tendenitous/impingement on my right should that make throwing  more than 30 or so, but I figure I can get away with sidearming for the purposes of "coaching" a 14-year-old.) It's not like she's serious about it (little late for that, but it'd be something cool for the two of us to do.)  She's really into dance (like her mom was) but she thinks she'll need a sport to fit into HS. She played baskeball and didn't seem too fond of it. So getting close to the field she could actually see what was going on and maybe that would help her make a decision one way or another. Plus I'd like to start going to minor league games; a lot cheaper and easier than attending the American League equivalent of the Johnstown Flood. 

Frederick seems to have the nicer stadium, and McKenna's the draw, and I'd like to see Lowther  (Friday hasn't been posted, maybe he's going then?) But I'd prefer to go Thursday. Missed Wells, who pitched the other night and I believe Bauman too.

Bowie has Mountcastle, the struggling Hays, and Santander ?) Keegan pitched on the 9th so is he going tomorrow after the make-up game is finished? Of course tomorrow is JOSE CANSECO night in Metro Bowie. (What does that mean, a free sample of HGH to the first hundred through the turnstiles?) Those are just top of my head (no, not Canseco's head when the ball bounced off it). 

What I'd like to ask, which park allows you to get closer to the action? I haven't been to a minor league game in ages (I went to Frederick years ago, but don't remember much about it other than there were rain delays and we had to leave early. ) I tried to get her interested years ago on several occasions but it didn't take. Now she's going into HS and it offers softball in the spring and a friend she's going to the school with is playing and la, de, dah ... Which park, in people's minds, is the better experience? I live in NW DC, so they're roughly equidistant. Planning on leaving early; will field-level seats be available for walk-up, or is it best to reserve them?

Weather's supposed to be top notch both days.

Thanks to any and all who respond. And sorry for the length.

Edited by catatonia

I've only been to one Baysox game. And it was with a large group of people, so the game was really just background noise. I've been to countless Keys games. It's a fun experience, and we've never had a problem walking up and getting field level seats. You can probably get front row seats. So, if getting as close to the action as possible, is the main objective, go to Frederick. Their concourse is wide and the crowds are smaller. It's easy to get to the stadium, and parking is no problem.  

Posted (edited)

Ended going to the Keys. Thoroughly enjoyable time. Got front row seats right next to the visitor’s dugout. Gorgeous evening and the Keys won big, with McKenna putting on a show (triple , single, two walks). He is fast. I was impressed with the Keys starter, Alvarado. His stuff is nothing to write home about (no wonder he’s not on any org prospect lists) but he’s tenacious and seems to have pretty decent control and changes speeds OK. Gave up two solo HRs but only four other hits, 6k’s and no walks. Downside is Reyes seems lost at the plate, and Palmerio’s kid didn’t,t look so hot (3 k’s). A highlight for me was in the eighth or ninth inning, the wood duck’s catcher, Matt Whitley, said to me (while he was on Deck) that he’d heard me talking to my wife and daughter about Bundy, and this guy said he was born near where Bundy grew up and admired him. I said it’s a shame minor leaguers get paid so little and he seemed to appreciate that. Then I wished him good luck getting to the bigs and cheered for him like hell his AB.

Another cool thing: the seventh inning stretch and the fans (weren’t many there) got out their keys and jangled them.

Seats were13 bucks apiece, right on top of the action. So I know where my baseball attendance money is going this year and maybe for the foreseeable future.

Oh, and have to add; Rasmus looked terrible at the plate, even against A+ guys who'll be lucky if they sniff the bigs.

Edited by catatonia

2 hours ago, catatonia said:

Another cool thing: the seventh inning stretch and the fans (weren’t many there) got out their keys and jangled them.

I went to a game there in the late 80s and they did the keys thing. Nice to know some things don’t change.

Their mascot is Keyote 

Posted (edited)

To reiterate, if she's really interested in softball and that's what you want her to see up close... hit a local USSSA event. They're free to the public to watch, and every weekend throughout the Baltimore/Washington corridor through the end of July. Just check their website for a listing of events and field locations (by age division). The level of play at 12U and up will probably exceed what you see in many high school games too...

Edited by Ravens2006