Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Knighttime

THE REAL High School football Poll

72 posts in this topic

justmythought compiled this poll! However I really agreed with it and wanted to start a new thread with the poll. Give your thoughts???

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Sun, The Examiner, Massey, MaxPrep and MdVarsity are the 5 major polls/rankings that include Baltimore area teams.

Exclude all the non-Baltimore area teams from Massey, MaxPrep and MdVarsity and reorder them from 1-25.

Award 25 points for being #1 in a poll, 24 points for being #2 in a poll, ... 1 point for being #25 in a poll.

Add up the points for each team from all 5 polls/rankings.

Top 25 Baltimore Area Teams

1. Loyola (117)

2. River Hill (114)

3. City (97)

4. Gilman (93)

5. McDonogh (89)

6. Broadneck (75)

7. Arundel (71)

8. Severna Park (70)

8. Old Mill (70)

10. Spalding (63)

11. Edmondson (59)

12. St. Mary's (58)

13. Perry Hall (57)

14. FSK (55)

15. North Harford (49)

16. Edgewood (39)

17. Long Reach (35)

18. Centennial (30)

19. Kenwood (28)

20. Dunbar (27)

21. Hereford (23)

22. MSJ (17)

22. Westminster (17)

24. Calvert Hall (16)

25. Milford Mill (15)

I think Giman should be #1 in the area. I guesse we will find out when over the next couple weeks.

I am also not sold on edgewood being ranked. Lets see how they do against North harford and joppatowne.

I think Giman should be #1 in the area. I guesse we will find out when over the next couple weeks.

I am also not sold on edgewood being ranked. Lets see how they do against North harford and joppatowne.

jtowne

While I agree that Gilman is a good program, I can not agree with them being ranked so high with what is so far a losing record (1-2). To use the analogy that they should be ranked so high because they play a tough schedule just does not really apply. Case in point. Let's just for arguments sake say that they play the 10 toughest teams in the area and lose to 9 of them. Should they still be ranked #1 simply because they played 10 tough games? I know this is extreme but fact is fact. I have seen them receive a #1 ranking with a 5-5 record. That hardly seems fair to teams that may go undefeated and win a state championship in the process. Honestly speaking, since they and all the private schools play in a seperate league, they should ranked seperately from the public schools. I mean , they have their own league, their own championship, they don't have to follow the same rules as far as practice is concerned(they can practice all year where the state mandates that schools in the MPSSAA can not begin until the second week of August) If they do not have to follow the same guidelines why then should they be ranked accordingly? Now under the old MSA system whereby they competed against the area public schools as part of their normal schedule, yes they should be in the rankings. Under the current system, I say no. Just one man's humble opinion

While I agree that Gilman is a good program, I can not agree with them being ranked so high with what is so far a losing record (1-2). To use the analogy that they should be ranked so high because they play a tough schedule just does not really apply. Case in point. Let's just for arguments sake say that they play the 10 toughest teams in the area and lose to 9 of them. Should they still be ranked #1 simply because they played 10 tough games?

Obviously not, since 9 of the losses would have been to area teams, as you made clear in your scenario.;)

I have seen them receive a #1 ranking with a 5-5 record. That hardly seems fair to teams that may go undefeated and win a state championship in the process.

So an undefeated team should be ranked ahead of a team with losses? Strength of schedule must account for something. 5-5 is a stretch, but 8-2 over a 10-0 team isn't.

they have their own league, their own championship, they don't have to follow the same rules as far as practice is concerned(they can practice all year where the state mandates that schools in the MPSSAA can not begin until the second week of August)

I am not sure that this is entirely accurate. Yes, the MIAA has different rules, and I am not an MIAA supporter (so someone with actual knowledge could clear this up), but I doubt they can practice all year. My guess is that they have restrictions, but those restrictions are far looser than the publics. They can have spring practice, start earlier, etc., but all year? I doubt it, but I could be wrong.:confused:

If they do not have to follow the same guidelines why then should they be ranked accordingly?

Just a guess but maybe because it's a high school football team, playing high school football? A lot of college conferences have different guidelines and rules concerning admitting players, conference play restrictions, etc., but they are all ranked in the same poll, as they all play the same game with the same rules on the field. That's the great thing about polls versus playoffs - it gives all the watchers something to argue about.:D

Golf. So punish gilman for scheduling hard teams. If they still opened with Dunbar they would still be #1

They lost to the #1 ranked team in the state. Every team in this area would have lost that game.

If they win out and win the rest of the year then they should be #1

Your basically saying that if Alco goes undeafted this year wich very well might happen. They should be ranked above every school that has atleast 1 loss.

A couple years ago when Joppatowne was 1a they snuck thier was into the playoffs with a 4-5 record. Many people were saying thats not right they got in with a lossing record. They were playing 2a and 3a schools every week that year. Well they won the state championship that year. Its all strength of scheduling.

Jtowne is right on the money on this one. The private schools play under a totally different set of rules.

For instance we attended the MD Varsity Passing Jamboree in the spring and all of the public schools had Dad's out there running the teams but Good Counsel had Bob Malloy calling plays from the sideline and coaching the entire game. Another point, last spring I attended a basketball tournament at Loyola and as i walked by the aux gym to get to the big gym i saw the football team running through plays. Lets not even get into the whole recruiting isue because as we all know most of the privates are out at as many youth games as they can get to selling the parents on the fact that little Johny shoudl come to their school because he is the best......they have ever seen....

The college comparison doesn't hold any water either because they all follow the same NCAA guidlines based on which division they are in and they are ranked by division which confirms Jtownes idea that the public and private schools should be ranked separately.

Obviously not, since 9 of the losses would have been to area teams, as you made clear in your scenario.;)

So an undefeated team should be ranked ahead of a team with losses? Strength of schedule must account for something. 5-5 is a stretch, but 8-2 over a 10-0 team isn't.

I am not sure that this is entirely accurate. Yes, the MIAA has different rules, and I am not an MIAA supporter (so someone with actual knowledge could clear this up), but I doubt they can practice all year. My guess is that they have restrictions, but those restrictions are far looser than the publics. They can have spring practice, start earlier, etc., but all year? I doubt it, but I could be wrong.:confused:

Just a guess but maybe because it's a high school football team, playing high school football? A lot of college conferences have different guidelines and rules concerning admitting players, conference play restrictions, etc., but they are all ranked in the same poll, as they all play the same game with the same rules on the field. That's the great thing about polls versus playoffs - it gives all the watchers something to argue about.:D

MIAA teams do not practice all year round. Practice in general starts a week earlier than the public schools. And weather you choose to agree or not, strength of schedule means something in polls. I don't ever recall Gilman being ranked #1 with a 5-5 record.

MIAA teams do not practice all year round. Practice in general starts a week earlier than the public schools. And weather you choose to agree or not, strength of schedule means something in polls. I don't ever recall Gilman being ranked #1 with a 5-5 record.

DJGREG

I stated earlier that my scenario was extreme. Let me clarify myself. I know private schools do not practice all year but they are afforded the privalidge of running team drills during the course of the year under coaches supervison which a clear violation with public schools. I live right around the corner from Calvert Hall and I see them running drills throughout the summer months. As far as strength of schedule goes, I guess it does have some merit but, I think that if any of us were say the head coach of a 4A school sitting on an undfeated season and a state championship and Gilman or Loyola still gets the nod for #1 then the view may tend to be a little different. I'm not necessarily saying the current way of doing things is right or wrong just that the criteria for ranking needs to more clearly defined. Right now it is solely one persons opinion.

DJGREG

I stated earlier that my scenario was extreme. Let me clarify myself. I know private schools do not practice all year but they are afforded the privalidge of running team drills during the course of the year under coaches supervison which a clear violation with public schools. I live right around the corner from Calvert Hall and I see them running drills throughout the summer months. As far as strength of schedule goes, I guess it does have some merit but, I think that if any of us were say the head coach of a 4A school sitting on an undfeated season and a state championship and Gilman or Loyola still gets the nod for #1 then the view may tend to be a little different. I'm not necessarily saying the current way of doing things is right or wrong just that the criteria for ranking needs to more clearly defined. Right now it is solely one persons opinion.

I agree that the ranking criteria needs to be clearly defined but I don't ever see that happening. I also disagree with your analogy about the 4A champion vs a Gilman or Loyola. If the 4A champion and the MIAA champion were both undefeated, the nod at #1 would go to the MIAA team because of strength of schedule.

I'm not necessarily saying the current way of doing things is right or wrong just that the criteria for ranking needs to more clearly defined. Right now it is solely one persons opinion.

Not exactly.

From the Sun, printed at the end of the polls each week:

How the polls are conducted: The Sun polls are compiled weekly by the sports staff after observing events and consulting with coaches.

I agree that the ranking criteria needs to be clearly defined but I don't ever see that happening. I also disagree with your analogy about the 4A champion vs a Gilman or Loyola. If the 4A champion and the MIAA champion were both undefeated, the nod at #1 would go to the MIAA team because of strength of schedule.

It probably would. I guess this is one of those discussions that could go on without end but, it's good to see so many varied opinions

It probably would. I guess this is one of those discussions that could go on without end but, it's good to see so many varied opinions

thats what makes this board fun. well sometimes.

I know I will be called every foul name in the book for saying this, but I believe City is ranked too high in that poll. Broadneck, Arundel, and Old Mill are at least 2 td's better than City. Again, nothing personal against City College, they have a good football team this year.

I know I will be called every foul name in the book for saying this, but I believe City is ranked too high in that poll. Broadneck, Arundel, and Old Mill are at least 2 td's better than City. Again, nothing personal against City College, they have a good football team this year.

Naa. You won't get called any foul names. Like I always say. I may not agree with your opinion but, you are entitled to it. I obviously disagree with you. What in particular makes these teams that you mentioned a 14 point favorite over City? I mean what else besides winning the states do these young men have to do to proove themselves. They have already soundly beaten 2 of the top 10 teams in the polls. Is that not good enough? They have size, they have speed, they have a tremendous defense,solid special teams and a potent offense that can and will score. They have outscored their opponants sofar by 116-18. Did I leave anything out?? Fill me in here dude apparently I'm missing something.

I think City should be in the number 2 spot actually. City is the reigning 3A north champ (don't mean much), currently undefeated, they have a lot of returning player from last season, a proven coaching staff and they defeated a good Edmonson and Dunbar team.

Isn't Broadneck coming off a sub par season something like 5-5. Old Mill has a new coaching staff this year and I don't no much about Arundal to commit. Not to mention each one of those teams are 3-1. What make them 2 touchdowns better than city. I am surprise that Milford the reigning 2A north champ and currently undefeated is so low.

The two touchdown commit. People thought that about Linganore when they played Edmonson.

I think City should be in the number 2 spot actually. City is the reigning 3A north champ (don't mean much), currently undefeated, they have a lot of returning player from last season, a proven coaching staff and they defeated a good Edmonson and Dunbar team.

Isn't Broadneck coming off a sub par season something like 5-5. Old Mill has a new coaching staff this year and I don't no much about Arundal to commit. Not to mention each one of those teams are 3-1. What make them 2 touchdowns better than city. I am surprise that Milford the reigning 2A north champ and currently undefeated is so low.

The two touchdown commit. People thought that about Linganore when they played Edmonson.

I like City, and I wish all of the Baltimore City teams well. All I am saying is highschool football is played on different levels.

I like City, and I wish all of the Baltimore City teams well. All I am saying is highschool football is played on different levels.

TS

Come on man. Don't cop out like that. You were very specific in your view that these teams are 2 td's better. Be specific and explain why. You owe us atleast that much.

Is this magazine a joke.

Look at the poll they ask who should be ranked in the top 25.

Edgewood, Fallston, or Elkton christian.

where is the none box.

City is overrated. Franklin will beat City this year and go on to play in the finals.