Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NOTAGUNNUT

...and now, for something completely different...

35 posts in this topic

Doesn't 'The Y' offer proper classes for deer?

They swim great, but just could't get out.

Better get used to this type of thing. And it's all the fault of the deer. Sometimes I just hate being a human being.

all new pools will have to be built with deer ramps to appease a lawsuit brought by peta.

"She and her husband decided to do what any baffled suburban couple would do in this situation: They got rifles from the hall closet and..."

Fresh Venison!

"She and her husband decided to do what any baffled suburban couple would do in this situation: They got rifles from the hall closet and..."

Typical Rodericks there.:rolleyes:

Rifles are not kept in hall closets, and nobody wants to shoot a hole in the bottom of their pool.

Haaaa! They know where to vacation as hunting season goes into full swing. ;)

Yep! They sure do.:D

Typical Rodericks there.:rolleyes:

Rifles are not kept in hall closets, and nobody wants to shoot a hole in the bottom of their pool.

You're right; rifles are kept in bedroom closets!

Wasn't this the article that kicked off GA's suburbanite bashing on another thread?

Gee, I can't imagine why the deer didn't understand the well-meaning attempts to help them out of the pool. "Panic-striken," indeed. (Why do I think ability to swim has nothing to do with hollow hair? Most animals can swim. Heck, fish are pretty good swimmers, and they don't have any hair at all!)

I do know a story of a new hunter who shot a deer that then went to water. He had such a bad case of "buck fever," he dropped his rifle, waded in, grabbed the deer by the antlers and DROWNED the critter. Saved the cost of a second bullet, I guess.

Everyone should have deer in there yard. I do!

My back yard. :D

My side yard. :D

Same here. The dog keeps them outside the yard most of the time but they are swarming next door around the apple trees these days.

My next door neighbors son bow hunts behind our yards. We have to chase off a half dozen other hunters a year.

I do know a story of a new hunter who shot a deer that then went to water. He had such a bad case of "buck fever," he dropped his rifle, waded in, grabbed the deer by the antlers and DROWNED the critter. Saved the cost of a second bullet, I guess.

I often disagree with Rodrick's view on things but geez, he just tried to make a joke here. I do not understand how people can be so sensitive to consider a half~sentence joking quip to be a put~down of suburban living and hunters while expressing NO outrage over the "hunter" who drowned a deer in your story.

I often disagree with Rodrick's view on things but geez, he just tried to make a joke here. I do not understand how people can be so sensitive to consider a half~sentence joking quip to be a put~down of suburban living and hunters while expressing NO outrage over the "hunter" who drowned a deer in your story.

Hunters tend to reserve their outrage for people who wound a deer then fail to track it. (And for people who bash hunting, while knowing nothing about "the hunting culture", of course.)

;)

Hunters tend to reserve their outrage for people who wound a deer then fail to track it. (And for people who bash hunting, while knowing nothing about "the hunting culture,” of course.)

;)

Vary well said.

Thank you Kemmer!

Hunters tend to reserve their outrage for people who wound a deer then fail to track it. (And for people who bash hunting, while knowing nothing about "the hunting culture", of course.)

;)

True enough, yet a guy like Rodericks steps in, and has at it. Coming from someone without his background, agenda, bias, and stereotying I might have found it funny, but he's already set himself up to be taken as insulting, and disengenuous with the "rifle in the hall closet" quip by people that own rifles. It's about on par with how many Black folks might recieve a racial quip from Larry the cable guy... which btw... he smart enough tp not do.

;)

The number of threads started by the board's outdoors sports enthusiasts on Rodricks say otherwise.

Really. I find Rodricks's columns to be the equivalent of caterwauling that people should learn to tune out. But this was a joke that they would shoot the deer in their pool and nothing more. You will rarely find hunters starting theads to complain about poachers or people like the individual who killed the mother black bear and her cubs in her den here in Maryland last year.

They are directing far more outrage at Rodricks judging by the number of anti~Rodricks threads started in just the past few days. I'm surprised they read him at all.

I read it. I was referring to threads started that oppose poachers rather than seem to defend them when they cross onto the property of extremist animal rights activists.

The majority of posters' ire seemed to be directed at the landowners and not the poachers.

I have yet to see a legit hunter anywhere that didn't abhore poachers, and there was a great deal of support on that thread for reporting poachers, and trespassers... if that's what they were actually doing. With all the claims made in that story the DNR should have an outreach office on their land. When they are cruising looking for parked trucks, and making accusations about every one they see then it becomes clear that these two are not to be taken very seriously at all.

...but if it makes you feel better...

P O A C H E R S

S U C K,

A R E

N O T

S P O R T S M E N

A N D

S H O U L D

A L L

S P E N D

T I M E

I N

J A I L !

I'll repeat for your benefit ~

"The number of threads started by the board's outdoors sports enthusiasts on Rodricks say otherwise."

Any thoughts about the sportsmanship involved in finishing off a deer by drowning it rather than wasting a bullet?

All poachers are hunters but not all hunters are poachers.

I read it. I was referring to threads started that oppose poachers rather than seem to defend them when they cross onto the property of extremist animal rights activists.

The majority of posters' ire seemed to be directed at the landowners and not the poachers.

Under Pennsylvania game laws the animal rights activists don't own the animals on their property - and the game wardens will enforce the law so any legal hunter can track their game that they shot that seek refuge on the animal rights activists property - and if they interfere with the game wardens and hunters - the warden can arrest the animal rights activists.

Under Pennsylvania game laws the animal rights activists don't own the animals on their property - and the game wardens will enforce the law so any legal hunter can track their game that they shot that seek refuge on the animal rights activists property - and if they interfere with the game wardens and hunters - the warden can arrest the animal rights activists.

If an animal drop on private property in Maryland, and the hunter is denied access the DNR will retrieve the animal for the hunter.

Really though, it's pretty stupid for any animal rights activist to deny a hunter his game because that simply results in an unfilled hunting tag, and the hunter is free to go take another animal. We recently had this discussion on another forum where a hunter in another State on his own land shot a deer that crossed a fence that he was verbally prohibited to cross. The der died ten yards over the fence. When he asked to retrieve the der he was denied. He shot another that jumped the same fence. The other land owner reported him for killing more bucks than he was allowed to shoot, and the local DNR informed the "activist" that if he didn't want more deer shot he should let hunters tag, and retrieve their game.

As far as drowning the deer, not something I'd do, but shot, or drowned, the result is the same.