Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EYESOPEN

Should Exceptional JV Accomplishments Receive Media Attention?

22 posts in this topic

By Exceptional, I mean outstanding individual accomphishments while playing as a team member, and/or outstanding program accomplishments for team sports at the Junior Varsity Level? Opinions Please? Note: By Media Attention, I mean (Newspaper, Television, or Radio coverage of Championship Events). An example is the Baltimore County JV Football 1A-2A Championship to be played Thursday, November 9th, at 6:00 P.M. at Hereford High. The Teams playing are Eastern Tech. Junior Varsity vs Hereford Junior Varsity. Hereford has 8 wins in 8 games played this year, scored 324 points and have only allowed 38 points to be scored on them. This averages to 40.5 points scored per game and 4.7 points allowed. Does that deserve media attention? I am sure Eastern Tech's numbers also deserve attention because they are also undefeated with 8 wins. This Game should be something to see!!! Two GREAT TEAMS!!

I agree with the above. In order for newspapers to cover high school sports at all, they have to generate enough ad revenue to pay for the space. Not a very big advertising market in jayvee sports, I'd imagine. I doubt if it would be able to pay for itself.

I agee with the above. In order for newspapers to cover high school sports at all, they have to generate enough ad revenue to pay for the space. Not a very big advertising market in jayvee sports, I'd imagine. I doubt if it would be able to pay for itself.

We need to expand the coverage for the varsity like wbfox was stating , let alone JV ...... I like the new sports weekly http://www.pressboxonline.com for their HS coverage ....

md .. looking forward to watching states cross country on Saturday .. Hereford football on Friday night with ET, State cross country @ Hereford Saturday morning, and then the Lions football game @ Franklin in the afternoon .. is this a great life or what ??

Lions football is hurting real real bad .. down to 28 players or something like it .. most of which are linemen .... Good luck with your girls next weekend ...

We need to expand the coverage for the varsity like wbfox was stating , let alone JV ...... I like the new sports weekly http://www.pressboxonline.com for their HS coverage ....

md .. looking forward to watching states cross country on Saturday .. Hereford football on Friday night with ET, State cross country @ Hereford Saturday morning, and then the Lions football game @ Franklin in the afternoon .. is this a great life or what ??

Lions football is hurting real real bad .. down to 28 players or something like it .. most of which are linemen .... Good luck with your girls next weekend ...

Dulaney girls should do well, LD. If they come in second, I would consider them the best girls high school team in 4A.;)

Dulaney girls should do well, LD. If they come in second, I would consider them the best girls high school team in 4A.;)

Coach Boyle said the DC - Metro schools are fantastic .... AGAIN !!

Coach Boyle said the DC - Metro schools are fantastic .... AGAIN !!

LD,

Yes, MOCO schools such as Quince Orchard, Northwest (Dulaney beat them at Lancer), Churchill (beat them at Barnhart) and Richard Montgomery are all very good. These are some of the best high school teams in 4A. And then there's Roosevelt (see the thread on McDonogh and the Yankees).:rolleyes:

By Exceptional, I mean outstanding individual accomphishments while playing as a team member, and/or outstanding program accomplishments for team sports at the Junior Varsity Level? Opinions Please?

Nice idea, maybe, until some lousy program at the varsity level decides to keep their better players on JV just to get some press.:eek:

LD,

Yes, MOCO schools such as Quince Orchard, Northwest (Dulaney beat them at Lancer), Churchill (beat them at Barnhart) and Richard Montgomery are all very good. These are some of the best high school teams in 4A. And then there's Roosevelt (see the thread on McDonogh and the Yankees).:rolleyes:

If you time it right, you can catch the 3A girls and the 4A girls without spending the entire day at Hereford. Of course, with so many good runners in other races (boys 4A, anyone?), you just might want to pack your lunch.

Parking is a bear, though. One almost has to walk 3.1 miles to see the races.;)

About 12 years ago, we had a freshman named Rick Trott playing football on the J.V. at Atholton H.S. Very first game of his career, he scored touchdowns on the first three times he touched the football. Ran the opening kickoff back, proceeded to then return an INT for a TD on the opponent's first play from scrimmage, then returned a punt for a TD the opponent's next possession. Our AD, Mr. Don VanDeusen, was so impressed, he had it in the Baltimore Sun the next day. It was really cool!

If you time it right, you can catch the 3A girls and the 4A girls without spending the entire day at Hereford. Of course, with so many good runners in other races (boys 4A, anyone?), you just might want to pack your lunch.

Parking is a bear, though. One almost has to walk 3.1 miles to see the races.;)

You usually are allowed to park on the cornfield next to the school for states. (Nothing like those corn kernels crunching under your tires!) That's just a short walk to the course.

You usually are allowed to park on the cornfield next to the school for states. (Nothing like those corn kernels crunching under your tires!) That's just a short walk to the course.

I think last year I parked north up York Road, turned left and under the I-83 overpass. A bit of a hike, but all the other spots were gone.

LD,

Roosevelt is ranked in the top ten in the country I believe. We'll see this weekend. Very familar with McDonogh and some of their ways of "recruiting" talent ..... I have coached several young men and women who have had the wonderful opportunity to play @ McDonogh via some of these grants and student loans etc etc ... somewhat torn on this issue ! If it betters the young men / women's chances to get into college, I am all for it , but their methods are a bit extreme at times ... Is that ever PC or what ...

I think that in order for JV teams to receive media attention there would have to be a rule keeping freshman and sophmores on the JV, otherwise people would just say if there players are so good why aren't they on varsity

The role of jayvees can differ from school to school. Programs that have the luxury of large turnouts will oftentimes leave a kid down on jayvee simply so they'll have a chance to play all the time. Other schools may not have such options. They might need every capable body on varsity ASAP, which further results in the depletion of potentially good jayvee competition. Thus, you might have a varsity-caliber player competing against athletes that he is, by and large, somewhat superior to. That can result in some inflated statistics.

Exceptional J.V athletes should be varsity players, exceptional J.V accomplishments call for a player being rewarded by moving up to varsity. I know we live in a feel good society, but at some point we must teach our kids to pay their dues before they are awarded the golden crown.

By Exceptional, I mean outstanding individual accomphishments while playing as a team member, and/or outstanding program accomplishments for team sports at the Junior Varsity Level? Opinions Please? Note: By Media Attention, I mean (Newspaper, Television, or Radio coverage of the Championship Events).

I can see a championship game or a JV team with an undefeated season. Those are pretty rare at any level.

Junior Varisity first and foremost about preparation for Varsity. If a student has a great JV season there should be an atta-boy and a pat on the back but that is about it. The real purpose of JV should be to learn the fundamentals and work hard to gain a varsity spot. Awarding individual JV performances could be detrimental to program development if players think they are more important than the program and play for JV stats.

Junior Varisity first and foremost about preparation for Varsity. If a student has a great JV season there should be an atta-boy and a pat on the back but that is about it. The real purpose of JV should be to learn the fundamentals and work hard to gain a varsity spot. Awarding individual JV performances could be detrimental to program development if players think they are more important than the program and play for JV stats.

LongtimeBCLFan, I agree with you about the preparation, however, media attention, whether for a program or individuals is not "awarding", it is identifying successful accomplishments, or in some cases failure. Results speak for themselves!! An individual player's ego may be determined by those who influence young developing minds. Please never deny young people their recoginition by just, an atta-boy/girl and a pat on the back, because they are "in preparation" for senior varsity . Aren't we all in preparation for something greater? Nothing personal meant to you by my response to your post, if offended, I apologize. Programs grow with "media attention", as do Individuals!! However, THIS IS JUST MY OPINION.

It started off as a good thread, HHS vs ET. How about we talk about quality JV football. Thursday in the zone, wow! Any good loving football fan will enjoy this match up. Have not caught too many HHS JV games this year, but people up here are sure talking about this team. What a program, they never miss a beat. Hats off to Hereford Rec. they deserve the media attention. I should also include the coaching staff at HHS they win and get no media attention, nor do they ask for it.

I couldnt have stated it any better.....Great post LongtimeBCLfan

Re: Where Did The Hereford vs. ET JV Thread Go?

This wasn't a Hereford v. ET JV thread. Check the title of the thread: Should Exceptional JV Accomplishments Receive Media Attention? Hereford & ET JV's were just used as an example.

My view? Like other posters have said, JV is for preparation at the varsity level. Highlighting JV accomplishments, expecially in schools where the varsity is poor, might only encourage programs to keep better players at the JV level. After all, JV recognition is better than losing in anominity at the varsity level.

If a JV player wants recognition, work hard and make the varsity team. Are we teaching young people to chase recognition, or are we teaching them to be a part of a team and a program, working hard to do your best, regardless of any recognition?

My cousin coahes in Charlotte NC at a very well known program there. The JV players play all home games on the practice field. They are not allowed on the stadium game field, and they cannot wear the team logo on their helmets. The kids strive to get the logo on their helmet...it's like a ritual, and to play on the stadium field is something they shoot for.