Recent headlines from The Baltimore Sun

Photo
- - - - -

The City vs Poly (Breaking it down)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 agentorange

agentorange

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,335 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 09:05 PM

HISTORY

City vs Poly is the second oldest high school football rivalry in the entire nation. The game started in 1889 and erupted into the premier annual showdown amongst the metro area schools and eventually the entire state. Poly leads the series 58-53 and several ties. Both City and Poly sport countless MSA-A conference titles between them with City earning as many as 20 state title's or more clean on up through the late 60's.

THIS YEARS GAME

This years game features a strong and resurgent Coach Wren led Poly team that runs the pro set and sports a very stingy defense. The Poly engineers have gone back to the basics and are one the most fundementally sound teams around.

The Knights are very young and rebuilding but well coached and disciplined. They are also this years "who are they team". While the Knights are averaging at least 35 point per game, they also have no players at the skilled position whom you might see as leaders in the stats department. If that ain't George Petrides football, I don't know what is. Coach Petrides is still moving players around like a game of musical chairs making it hard to scout them and predict what they will do.

With City in the hunt for a playoff spot and Poly very close to clinching one also, we expect as many as 25,000 fans out at MM&T bank stadium at high noon on saturday. When its done and over and as long as you don't were blue with you orange, feel free to cross the street into staple's parking lot and tailgate with the entire Emperial fleet and Black and Orange nation of the Black Fighting Knights. We will show you how a tailgate is done brother.Thats a promise with a certified warranty to back it up.

WHAT TO LOOK FOR

* A very pissed off and motivated Poly team that wants nothing more than to forget all about the 44-8 nightmare that happaned last year.

* A very hard hitting game with absolutley no love lost between two schools that really truly hate one another and always will. This game is about the battle for the title as Baltimore's number one high school. Yes, we know its all about academics but City and Poly has settled its difference's on the feild...over and over again.

* Look for City and Poly to trade blows and put some points on the board with City scoring late and winning 33-29. The Knights have a little sirprise for the Engineers but its top secret classified info.

WHY SHOULD YOU GO

* Two of Maryland best coaches going at it. Coach Wren will be up to his sneaky little tricks and Coach Petrides is just the slueth to stop him

* Coach Wren has his play book in full effect...if you want to see some of that complex City League football the Jedi's have been talking about, see Poly on saturday. Both City and Poly always pull out the stops for each other...this years game will be no different.

* If you have never seen 20,000 or more people at a high school football game, heres your chance.

* The Bcc Marching Knights is the undisputed champs of the entire state of Maryland and perhaps the mid-Atlantic region. You do not want to miss this band...they reign.

* Women, Lady's, girls...whatever you choose, there wil be tons of them and all kinds. For you caucasion bro's out there or the guys who prefer Caucasion women, Don't think for one second you won't find tons of them at the game...they will be there.

* TAAAAAYLE...GAAAAAATE..TAAAAAAYYYYYLE GAAAAAATE.....If you ver wonder what its like to see 2,500 people in a small parking lot eating good and partying like its 1999, come check us out. Whatever you do, do not ask for the Jedi's..this is our day off and if ever there is a time where we want our personal identieies, protected, the City vs Poly game would have to be it...read between the lines.

* Knightrider will have coconut rum...on his persons...he's the only Jedi you can ask for by name.

UNTIL GAME TIME...POLY...STANDBY..THE DEATHSTAR LAZER CANNON WILL BE FULLY FUNCTIONAL AND BATTLE OPERATIONAL.....

#2 MITCHEA

MITCHEA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 09:31 PM

City is averaging 33.0 points a game while giving up 20.6 where as Poly is averaging 32.0 points a game while giving up 10.5. Should be a very hard fought game and you right about one thing the Engineers what some payback from last year.

FYI I have to give the nod to the Engineers. Wife is alum.:D

#3 knightrider

knightrider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 01:36 AM

Coconut Rum,Pineapple Rum,St Paulie girl's....Fish,turkey burgers,chicken on the grill!

BTW,A.O. City controls it's own playoff destiny!

#4 cgunna

cgunna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 09:12 AM

Time to rev up the rivalry again. With Poly already clinched, its a perfect time to smash the dump on the hump and ruin their playoff chances. It'll be a fun game for sure.

Poly 36 - City 24
I have not winced, nor cried aloud.

#5 BCC

BCC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 10:24 AM

Time to rev up the rivalry again. With Poly already clinched, its a perfect time to smash the dump on the hump and ruin their playoff chances. It'll be a fun game for sure.

Poly 36 - City 24

Wait a minute! Poly hasn't done anything until they beat us remember that!

#6 GTerror

GTerror

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 10:29 AM

I planned on going to the game most likely, but after Agentorange's post I feel even more compelled to attend.

Gotta love the down to the wire playoff push adding even more to the game.... The 2A North is extremely competitive especially in the fight for the #4 spot.

#7 85Knight

85Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 12:20 PM

I planned on going to the game most likely, but after Agentorange's post I feel even more compelled to attend.

Gotta love the down to the wire playoff push adding even more to the game.... The 2A North is extremely competitive especially in the fight for the #4 spot.

Anyone who doesn't want to see this game isn't a fan of high school football. The tradition, the drama, the stakes, it doesn't get any better than this.

#8 GTerror

GTerror

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 03:03 PM

Anyone who doesn't want to see this game isn't a fan of high school football. The tradition, the drama, the stakes, it doesn't get any better than this.

Agreed.

Very curious about this much improved Poly team.

#9 MITCHEA

MITCHEA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 04:24 PM

OK it official the MPSSAA has accepted Friendly forfiets. So should Poly defeat City, Randallstown lose to Calvert Hall and Edmondson beats Lake Clifton this is what the standings should be.

2A North

1) 10.0 Eastern Tech (10-0)
2) 9.4 Poly (9-1)
3) 8.3 Edmondson (8-2)
4) 7.4 City (7-3)
5) 7.3 Randallstown (8-2)
6) 5.6 Northwestern-B (6-4)
7) 5.3 Overlea (6-4)
8) 2.1 Lansdowne (3-7)
9) 1.7 Douglass-B (2-8)
10) 1.4 Loch Raven (2-8)
11) 0.0 Samuel Banks (0-10)

#10 golflover0311

golflover0311

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 04:42 PM

Agreed.

Very curious about this much improved Poly team.

Not putting Poly down because they obviously are a good team but, in retrospect they haven't had the toughest of schedules this year. Their 8 wins have a combined win/loss record of 24-45..Of those they had 4 teams with less than 3 wins each. Digital although they are 7-2 plays a division 2 schedule which leaves only Dunbar(9-0) Edmondson(6-3) and Mervo(5-4) as the only teams they have played with winning records. This not to down play what they have accomplished but, based on that I see the majority leaning toward City not even having a sporting chance against them. I don't see it. While City did suffer that big loss to Dunbar, they did lose to Edmondson by 1. They have since rebounded and have played very sound football over the last 5 games. I think this game because of what's at sake will be alot tougher than most think. Obviously City/Poly pride and bragging rights are on the line as well as a playoff spot. My prediction..City 34 Poly 20

#11 johman

johman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,829 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 04:59 PM

I'm looking forward to going to and seeing a very good game. I'm a City fan (67) of course. George will bring them out fighting and City will win a tight game. Apologies Dad (Poly 36), but I think City might just be better than the blue and orange this year.

#12 knightrider

knightrider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 05:28 PM

Well so far this year,I've been pretty good with my predictions.MSJ over Loyola and the early Edmondson/City game.

I won't give a score or say who will win but I will say this.This game should be on ESPN! It's gonna be a sure fire INSTANT CLASSIC.Shame on you if you don't come out to see this game.