Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pops

MIAA Football's basement

19 posts in this topic

How long will Calvert Hall, Mt St Joe and John Carroll keep allowing their football programs to flounder?

Last 3 years:

Calvert Hall 1-9; 5-5; 3-7

Mt St Joe 3-7; 3-7; 4-6

John Carroll 3-7; 1-9; 5-5

Are these acceptable records....or is the pool of potential coaches empty?

I am sure that there will be talk of coaching vacancies at Calvert Hall and John Carroll. I think the coach at MSJ may get a year or two before he is on the hot seat.

Who are the best candidates for the job at the other schools though?

Tell you what, try playing the St. Joe schedule. It is quite brutal, especially for a second year staff that was not left with a single Keon Lattimer, J.J Outlaw, or any players even close to that caliber. They worked hard, and had chances to knock off Loyola and Gilman, but simply don't have enough of the "A" conference type kids to pull through those games. Calvert Hall is an issue simply because of the resources that go into the program, and the alums that expect so much. News Flash - 4 years ago they were 1 touchdown away from beating one of the best teams this area has ever seen, and that was their only loss... oh and this IS high school football, not major division I. I hope those schools are able to keep things perspective as they decide on the futures of these good men... who do also have families.

Agreed, but what about the kids that are part of losing teams, for 3 years in row, as part of their high school experience?

The MSJ situation seems to justify giving them some slack, because they've been competitive and the staff's kind of new.

But, CHC, as was stated, puts a lot of money into their program. The alumni want a return on their investment.

And John Carroll, what's the story there? Take perennial doormats Baltimore Lutheran and Friends off their schedule, and they haven't had a winning season since Clinton was President.

High school is for the kids, not the coaches.

Is there any expectation of up or down movement between the MIAA's A and B conferences? I'll bet the folks at Spalding would love to get a crack at playing in A; and schools with weaker programs would be doing their student-athletes a service by giving them a better chance at success.

Agreed, but what about the kids that are part of losing teams, for 3 years in row, as part of their high school experience?

Is that the end of the world? And is the concern really about the the kids who've never been on a winner, or the bruised egos of the parents who think that writing that tuition check entitles them to sports excellence?

But, CHC, as was stated, puts a lot of money into their program. The alumni want a return on their investment.

I thought you said that high school sports was for the kids.

And John Carroll, what's the story there? Take perennial doormats Baltimore Lutheran and Friends off their schedule, and they haven't had a winning season since Clinton was President.

Schools like Friends and Lutheran have very good academic reputations without being sports factories. Maybe they're the ones with the true winning formula.

Most all of the private school's boast high levels of academic success. That's not the issue. Parents are paying for a positive experience, (at least I am)....in academics and athletics. Just like a parent wouldn't be expected to tolerate poor-to-mediocre teachers, they should not be expected to tolerate it on the athletic feild.

My daughter's boyfriend plays on one of the teams mentioned. I can tell you that he and several of his fellow ball players make fun of the Head Coach constantly, and basically expect to lose most every week, (except against Lutheran). That's what the coach and his program represent to them, losing.

Fortunately, my daughter's athletic experience has been great, even without championships.

My daughter's boyfriend plays on one of the teams mentioned. I can tell you that he and several of his fellow ball players make fun of the Head Coach constantly, and basically expect to lose most every week, (except against Lutheran).

Maybe they should be teaching those boys something about respect and not worry so much about wins and losses. Give me a gentleman on an 0-9 team over a jerk on a 9-0 team any day.

Is there any expectation of up or down movement between the MIAA's A and B conferences? I'll bet the folks at Spalding would love to get a crack at playing in A; and schools with weaker programs would be doing their student-athletes a service by giving them a better chance at success.

You know so very little about this particular situation. This comment in no way is meant to belittle you or your overrall knowledge. I am not at liberty to speak about this particular subject in detail, but I will tell you that your comments are not consistent with the actual situation as dealing with conference movement, and who wants to play what schedule.

Maybe they should be teaching those boys something about respect and not worry so much about wins and losses. Give me a gentleman on an 0-9 team over a jerk on a 9-0 team any day.

Alien Bird: Winning isn't everything, and it's not the only thing.

Respect is earned. It does not come with the job. If kids don't respect the coach, that's a problem, that needs to be dealt with, sooner rather than later. Losing is acceptable on occasion, but losing regularly, over a long period of time develops a losing mentality. Don't blame the athletes, if the kids are disrespectful or ashamed to be associated with a losing program, blame the leadership.

So again, who are the candidates for these jobs if they are open. Apparently, one of these coaches did not even show up to the MIAA meeting to get his kids on the all conference team. Does that mean there is a vacancy?

Alien Bird: Winning isn't everything, and it's not the only thing.

Respect is earned. It does not come with the job. If kids don't respect the coach, that's a problem, that needs to be dealt with, sooner rather than later. Losing is acceptable on occasion, but losing regularly, over a long period of time develops a losing mentality. Don't blame the athletes, if the kids are disrespectful or ashamed to be associated with a losing program, blame the leadership.

So it's okay to make fun of someone behind their back? I find that kind of behavior remorseful and sad, regardless of what one may think of someone.

My understanding is that the C Conference will be resurrected again in 2007. I'm not sure of all the teams that will comprise the C, but my best guess would be Pallotti, St. John's Prospect Hall, Lutheran, John Carroll and Friends, if they are able to field a varsity team.

The B Conference will be very competitive since St. Mary's and Spalding are staying, and Curley will be back.

Same old crowd in the A.

It's official:

A conference still the same: Gilly, Mickey D, Da Hall, Dons for others, Little Hoyas, and Irv Prep(Dematha North if they ever wake up).

B conference: I will argue this the best league of at least 9 teams in the Baltimore Metro area. Spalding, St. Mary's, Curley, GIbbons, Boys Latin, St. Paul's, John Carroll, Pallotti, and Severn. Top 2 advance to the championship. Team with 3 league losses can advance... parity!

C conference - Baltimore Lutheran - took a run at the B, did not quite work out, they could return in the future

Friends - Return to varsity play in an appropriate place

Annapolis Area Cristian School - Begin varsity play next fall. that should be interesting

St. John's Catholic (formerly Prospect Hall) - Not sure why they are in the C, but they appear to be headed in that direction in spite of building a new school, and erecting new athletic facilities.

* There it is, let the private sector experts weigh in...

It's official:

A conference still the same: Gilly, Mickey D, Da Hall, Dons for others, Little Hoyas, and Irv Prep(Dematha North if they ever wake up).

B conference: I will argue this the best league of at least 9 teams in the Baltimore Metro area. Spalding, St. Mary's, Curley, GIbbons, Boys Latin, St. Paul's, John Carroll, Pallotti, and Severn. Top 2 advance to the championship. Team with 3 league losses can advance... parity!

C conference - Baltimore Lutheran - took a run at the B, did not quite work out, they could return in the future

Friends - Return to varsity play in an appropriate place

Annapolis Area Cristian School - Begin varsity play next fall. that should be interesting

St. John's Catholic (formerly Prospect Hall) - Not sure why they are in the C, but they appear to be headed in that direction in spite of building a new school, and erecting new athletic facilities.

* There it is, let the private sector experts weigh in...

Wow, didnt no AACS was making a program, they have had a pretty good guys volleyball teams, and i think they had an ok soccer team this year, its gonna be hard for that small school to field a lot of players. And you ask why St. Johns is in the C conference,... maybe b/c they are terrible! (no offense)

Good luck to all teams. I have a feeling the B confernce is only getting better, and the AA county schools and the Baltimore privates in the B are gonna be closer and closer to the A teams.