Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

theseeingeye

Girl's Pre-Season Top 15

3,413 posts in this topic

1. St. Francis

2. Towson Catholic

Marah Strickland is a beast.

3. Arundel

4. Seton Keough

5. St Paul

Bailey is a defensive wizard. If only if she could score.

6. City

Briara Barksdale and Lashay Taft, Best Back-court in area

7. Milford Mill

8. Old Mill

9. Western Kind of little. 1 inexperience post player. Good little guards.

10. Southern

11. McDonogh No McMallory yet.

12. Winters Mill

13. Westminster

14. Southside Ledbetter can win games by her self.

15. New Town

Honorable Mention: Pallotti?????? Digital Harbor ???? Dulaney?????? Poly ?????? Dunbar??????? Western Tech ??????if they wasn't hurt by graduation and if they have new coaching.

I don't know what's in Howard County. The Sun Poll will have at least 3 in the top 15. For reasons only they know. Western Tech had a lot of athletes last year. Talent wise, probably had the best group. Absolutely no coaching. This was a hard poll to put together. The season is less than 2 weeks away for the publics.:eek: :eek:

Tweaking already. Allballfan knows AA better. AA had the most competitive publics in the area last season. Still tweaking. Pallotti could be interesting if they didn't lose anybody. A lower top 15 or honorable mention type.

Annapolis? They won't be top 15 in their own County? One player only.

I was reaching. I will tweak my list as I go around and watch scrimmages. From 5 to 15, I might have issues. I like them from last year. South River and Southern were okay last year. I saw Meade in a fall league wasn't impressed unless they didn't have all their team playing.:eek: :eek:

1. St. Francis

2. Towson Catholic

Marah Strickland is a beast.

3. Arundel

4. Seton Keough

5. St Paul

Bailey is a defensive wizard. If only if she could score.

6. City

Briara Barksdale and Lashay Taft, Best Back-court in area

7. Milford Mill

8. Old Mill

9. Western Kind of little. 1 inexperience post player. Good little guards.

10. Southside Ledbetter can win games by her self.

11. McDonogh No McMallory yet.

12. Annapolis

13. Winters Mill

14. Westminster

15. New Town

Honorable Mention: Digital Harbor ???? Dulaney?????? Poly ?????? Dunbar??????? Western Tech ??????if they wasn't hurt by graduation and if they have new coaching.

I don't know what's in Howard County. The Sun Poll will have at least 3 in the top 15. For reasons only they know. Western Tech had a lot of athletes last year. Talent wise, probably had the best group. Absolutely no coaching. This was a hard poll to put together. The season is less than 2 weeks away for the publics.:eek: :eek:

No way should any school in the county be ahead of

New Town right now. They have only loss one game to a county team in two years.

No way should any school in the county be ahead of

New Town right now. They have only loss one game to a county team in two years.

Unless they have reloaded. They have lost players. The Louisiana girls are gone and their main guard is hurt. Great coach, probably her biggest challenge.:eek: :eek:

I was reaching. I will tweak my list as I go around and watch scrimmages. From 5 to 15, I might have issues. I like them from last year. South River and Southern were okay last year. I saw Meade in a fall league wasn't impressed unless they didn't have all their team playing.:eek: :eek:

Southern will be pretty good (for AA Co, understanding that its Arundel, then everyone else)

South River doesn't have much. Couple of guards, and an unmotivated "big" girl

Old Mill has some talent, unsure of the coaching

I heard Sam no longer at Howard?

I have been reading these posts for a couple years now and am still amazed at how little respect Howard County girls basketball receives on this board! It is almost a given, as soon as anyone mentions Howard County, it's always "I don' know why any HC teams are included, it must be political". Give me a break. While every year is different, HC has stood up to the best competition extremely well. I think too much value is placed on individual "stars" from other schools. The fact is HC had 3 teams at the end of last year in the final 15. River Hill won states, Mount Hebron lost to River Hill in the playoffs and Atholton lost in the state semi's to MM, who lost to an excellent Middletown team. I could go on. If you look at the matchups over the season, christmas tournaments, and summer, you will see that HC schools beat many of the teams who get a lot of hype from the city and county. With 7 new coaches this year the lower tier teams may suffer, but the top teams will still be tough. I don't have a problem with a healthy exchange of ideas, but to discount HC teams, just because of where they play is ignorant (as in uninformed, based without knowledge). The fact is in the past they have been limited by their scheduling restrictions as well as most being matched up against each other in the playoffs and being grouped in the region with the PG County schools. River Hill, Mount Hebron, and Atholton will be tough this year and at least 2 of those teams DO belong in the top 15 based on past performance and very little graduation (with the exception of RH who we all know suffered extreme loss to graduation). Time will tell and I will be sure to point out the matchups when I see them, but of course someone will have an excuse as usual.

I have been reading these posts for a couple years now and am still amazed at how little respect Howard County girls basketball receives on this board! It is almost a given, as soon as anyone mentions Howard County, it's always "I don' know why any HC teams are included, it must be political". Give me a break. While every year is different, HC has stood up to the best competition extremely well. I think too much value is placed on individual "stars" from other schools. The fact is HC had 3 teams at the end of last year in the final 15. River Hill won states, Mount Hebron lost to River Hill in the playoffs and Atholton lost in the state semi's to MM, who lost to an excellent Middletown team. I could go on. If you look at the matchups over the season, christmas tournaments, and summer, you will see that HC schools beat many of the teams who get a lot of hype from the city and county. With 7 new coaches this year the lower tier teams may suffer, but the top teams will still be tough. I don't have a problem with a healthy exchange of ideas, but to discount HC teams, just because of where they play is ignorant (as in uninformed, based without knowledge). The fact is in the past they have been limited by their scheduling restrictions as well as most being matched up against each other in the playoffs and being grouped in the region with the PG County schools. River Hill, Mount Hebron, and Atholton will be tough this year and at least 2 of those teams DO belong in the top 15 based on past performance and very little graduation (with the exception of RH who we all know suffered extreme loss to graduation). Time will tell and I will be sure to point out the matchups when I see them, but of course someone will have an excuse as usual.

Q- speaking strickly about public schools, size does matter. 4A schools have more kids thus, overall they field better teams. You have to look at more than won-loss records. Generally speaking, and I mean generally, 4A teams will whip up on the 2A-3A schools most of the time. That's HoCo's problem. Athletically speaking, the schools are too small.

City will be in the top three by the end of the year!

City is good, but not an elite team. Top 4 are elites.:eek: :eek:

Three ranked Howard County teams for only reasons the Sun knows?

Facts:

End of last season and playoffs

1. Glenelg beats Linganore a Wash. Post top 20 team at the tiime

2. A sub 500 Ho Co.Wilde Lake team beats one of the best AA county teams Annapolis in playoffs

3. Centennial beats Harford/Cecil County champ Fallston in playoffs

4. Mt. Hebron beats Severna Park in playoffs ,advances to regional finals, and every year plays and usually beats private school teams (I don't know if they are playing any this year)

5 Atholton wins it's 2A region over top Southern Maryland teams

6. River Hill wins region, beats Post top15 Urbana, beats Western, goes undefeated wins state championship

Howard county proved last year what a quality league it is. To say it doesn't deserve teams in the top 15 is ludicrous. You lost all objectivity!!!!

Three ranked Howard County teams for only reasons the Sun knows?

Facts:

End of last season and playoffs

1. Glenelg beats Linganore a Wash. Post top 20 team at the tiime

2. A sub 500 Ho Co.Wilde Lake team beats one of the best AA county teams Annapolis in playoffs

3. Centennial beats Harford/Cecil County champ Fallston in playoffs

4. Mt. Hebron beats Severna Park in playoffs ,advances to regional finals, and every year plays and usually beats private school teams (I don't know if they are playing any this year)

5 Atholton wins it's 2A region over top Southern Maryland teams

6. River Hill wins region, beats Post top15 Urbana, beats Western, goes undefeated wins state championship

Howard county proved last year what a quality league it is. To say it doesn't deserve teams in the top 15 is ludicrous. You lost all objectivity!!!!

I believe both Atholton and Mt Hebron belong in the preseason top 15. However, I disagree with the qualifiers you listed. The Annapolis girl's team was not very good last year. In addition, I placed Mt Hebron in my preseason top 15 last year, so their win over a very weak SP program during the playoffs was expected.

"The 2006-2007 USA Today preseason rankings are out and they have Towson Catholic girls ranked 7th in the nation and 2nd on the east coast congratulations ladies....but dont let the fame get to you to fast stay focused on the bigger picture getting that championship at the end of the year" :eek:

I believe both Atholton and Mt Hebron belong in the preseason top 15. However, I disagree with the qualifiers you listed. The Annapolis girl's team was not very good last year. In addition, I placed Mt Hebron in my preseason top 15 last year, so their win over a very weak SP program during the playoffs was expected.

you said that the annapolis girls basketball team last year wasn't very good...??? they won 16 games...... they beat a very good southern team twice last season and southern was a state final four team....played mighty arundel as tough as any team did in anne arundel county last season.... held teams to a county best 44pts a game...... was ranked in anne arundel county all year and even made it in the top 15 of the baltimore sun polls as well. so to say that they wasn't "VERY" good .. is an unfair statement don't you think...?? and the game between them and wilde lake .. well ON ANY GIVEN NIGHT ANY TEAM CAN BEAT ANYBODY .. it's a known fact!!!! now as far as mt. hebron goes I think that they are the team to beat in howard county.. and I thought that there team last season was pretty good ... so I do agree with you on how howard county girls basketball is better than what people think. and it's league is a quality league and they (mt. hebron )should be ranked in the preseason top 15........ as well as atholton..... both should floor good teams this year

"The 2006-2007 USA Today preseason rankings are out and they have Towson Catholic girls ranked 7th in the nation and 2nd on the east coast congratulations ladies....but dont let the fame get to you to fast stay focused on the bigger picture getting that championship at the end of the year" :eek:

I wouldn't pay any attention to USA Today's preseason rankings. Its based on how many ranked/D- I players you have on your team. Just to prove how meaningless those rankings are, the #2 ranked boys team lost on Friday night to a team who isn't even ranked regionally by USA Today.

I wouldn't pay any attention to USA Today's preseason rankings. Its based on how many ranked/D- I players you have on your team. Just to prove how meaningless those rankings are, the #2 ranked boys team lost on Friday night to a team who isn't even ranked regionally by USA Today.

I agree. St Francis is the top team, unless some one proves otherwise.:eek: :eek:

you said that the annapolis girls basketball team last year wasn't very good...??? they won 16 games...... they beat a very good southern team twice last season and southern was a state final four team....played mighty arundel as tough as any team did in anne arundel county last season.... held teams to a county best 44pts a game...... was ranked in anne arundel county all year and even made it in the top 15 of the baltimore sun polls as well. so to say that they wasn't "VERY" good .. is an unfair statement don't you think...?? and the game between them and wilde lake .. well ON ANY GIVEN NIGHT ANY TEAM CAN BEAT ANYBODY .. it's a known fact!!!! now as far as mt. hebron goes I think that they are the team to beat in howard county.. and I thought that there team last season was pretty good ... so I do agree with you on how howard county girls basketball is better than what people think. and it's league is a quality league and they (mt. hebron )should be ranked in the preseason top 15........ as well as atholton..... both should floor good teams this year

Didn't Atholton get blown out several times last year. Mt. Hebron doesn't scare anybody. I believe, I saw them vs IND. They are little. They are a well coached team. A top team????? If Watkins states they are a top 15, then they probably are. We will see.:eek: :eek:

Unless they have reloaded. They have lost players. The Louisiana girls are gone and their main guard is hurt. Great coach, probably her biggest challenge.:eek: :eek:

They have lost a few players but watch out for there ring general, Tyra Breaux. She is looking to have a strong senior season at point guard. Will be looking to score more this year!!

last year when SFA and MSJ was rank it was ok, but now that it is TC the rankings r meaningless - you guys are fake y can't u be happy for TC and the local area to be notice on a national level:confused:

last year when SFA and MSJ was rank it was ok, but now that it is TC the rankings r meaningless - you guys are fake y can't u be happy for TC and the local area to be notice on a national level:confused:

It was different because they earned their way into the rankings by winning games and tournaments against national competition. The preseason rankings are just what I said they are.....meaningless. Finishing nationally ranked is a bigger accomplishment than being given a ranking based on one player.

It was different because they earned their way into the rankings by winning games and tournaments against national competition. The preseason rankings are just what I said they are.....meaningless. Finishing nationally ranked is a bigger accomplishment than being given a ranking based on one player.
but this is what thread is about right :confused:

but this is what thread is about right :confused:

Nobody is hating on TC. ST. Francis is #1 unless proven otherwise. Marah Strickland is the truth, but one player don't make a team. TC has alot of good athletes. We will see shortly.:eek: :eek:

Although I like both Atholton and Mt Hebron, I do not believe HOCO is a "quality league." I do think Atholton has some nice fundamentally sound guards that will make them better than half of the IAAM teams. I dont think Mt Hebron has great players, but I think the team's coaching will place them in the lower top 15 when all is said and done. Regarding Annapolis, I dont think they ever played "mighty Arundel" tough.

Regarding quality league's I just think the talent is too dispersed to quantify AA, HOCO, MOCO, BMORE CO, or City as quality leagues. The truth is that at the most there will be three quality teams. And usually there is a big drop off between number one in a league and number two. The IAAM usually has three to four tough teams (big drop off after #3). The difference in the IAAM is that there top three are usually of the caliber of the other county's top one. So who has the toughest schedule? IAAM or the publics? It all depends. HOCO is certainly going to have the weakest schedule cause they dont have a tremendous amount of open games. Each IAAM team will probably have at least four caliber games within league play (the top three playing each other twice) and some like TC and St Fr will schedule Wash Post and Nationally ranked talent to play against. In contrast, McD and Seton Keough dont schedule the hard non league games with the same zest. Arundel, Western and a couple other do seek out the tough games.

Are you familiar with the women's program at UMBC? Do they recruit locally? Any insight on the program would be helpfull.

Nobody is hating on TC. ST. Francis is #1 unless proven otherwise. Marah Strickland is the truth, but one player don't make a team. TC has alot of good athletes. We will see shortly.:eek: :eek:

I agree until SFA is beat they are number 1. I think after TC, SFA, Arundel and SK ( if they have Williams) it is pick em - all the rest of the teams are in the same pot. I don't think it is because all the teams are mediocre, I think it is because it is a bigger talent pool and the talent is spreadout.