Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Darthcity-us

Its Time

34 posts in this topic

Hey guys, thanks for standing up for me.

And this comment pretty much negates any positive things about City College as opposed to other city schools. Yeah, City USED to be a great school. Why resort to a threat (if that is a veiled threat. If not, then I apologize for taking it that way by the nature of your post)?

I don't deny that it is better than MOST city schools (with the exception of Poly) in academics, but I don't think it is good at all. There is a reason why people are moving to the county to attend school and get a decent education. Like it or not, the numbers don't lie.

Speaking of numbers....newsweek has BCC ranked as the 192nd best school in this entire country and number 5 in the entire state. The rankings included every last high school in the country including Both Gilman and Loyola. The sun paper rolled out the the proficiency scores, and sol's of every public school in the state, guess who took home the state title......while Poly was way up there, BCC was tops. The problem with haters and BCC'S merit is too many caucasions and county folk will not accpet the fact that a inner city school with a good size afro-american population can dominate the academic scene in the way that it has. Meanwhile, we are subjected to insults and ridicule where ignorant posters demean us with coments like " City is washed up and things are not what it used to be" and " you guys should be resting up for the game but more then likely you guys are drinking 40's".Meanwhile, when I attended the CITY/poly game a few weeks ago, I was completely surrounded by Dr's, Lawyers, state delegates and wealthy businessmen/ women, many of whom I had the pleasue of graduating with. Together, we watched our Knights blast poly and finish the season undefeated as there had to be at least 9,000 in attendance. Afterward the game, we had a tailgate party where at least 500 City grads partied and enjoyed themselves. Our principal was also in attendence and beaming with school spirit. But BCC is washed up and old news. Many of you have the nerve to wonder why we call ourselves the Jedi's and fire up this frikken board all day and every day with coments that are deamed as bragging as well as arrorgant. The truth of the matter is, we love our school, its rich history, its present direction, the Pincipal, the team, Coach Petrides and the whole nine yards. Therefore, we do not apologize for our school spirit being looked upon as bragging.........

CITY IS FOR REAL

CITY IS TOPS

CITY IS FOREVER BABY....DEAL WITH IT.

Meanwhile, we'll keep pumping out 95% of our graduates heading off to college. We will continue to do it as a diverse and multi-cultural Institution in which the entire Baltimore City can be proud of. BCC is a beacon of hope and a historical landmark of astronomical proportions. Theres a reason why we'll praise her to the skies.

My apologies if all of the information in your post is accurate. I admit, as an outsider, it is always talked about how Poly is far superior in academics.

However, is it really needed to "pump your team up" on the message board? I mean, how many of them really read a newspaper message board? I just kind of think it is obnoxious and annoying to other posters who get on here to read valuable high school information to see that a bunch of City (and other schools, not just City) people are making posts that resemble something my little cousin would make in middle school.

And, one other question: If you guys support your school so well, where have you been the last so many years on this board when they have been less than unbeaten? All of you coming out this year seems to me that it is just because they are good again.

It's called bandwagon jumping. Ask most Oriole fans. You are only a fan when they are good, and abandon them when they are bad. That's not called being a fan. So, the board is full of frontrunners I guess.

Speaking of numbers....newsweek has BCC ranked as the 192nd best school in this entire country and number 5 in the entire state. The rankings included every last high school in the country including Both Gilman and Loyola. The sun paper rolled out the the proficiency scores, and sol's of every public school in the state, guess who took home the state title......while Poly was way up there, BCC was tops. The problem with haters and BCC'S merit is too many caucasions and county folk will not accpet the fact that a inner city school with a good size afro-american population can dominate the academic scene in the way that it has. Meanwhile, we are subjected to insults and ridicule where ignorant posters demean us with coments like " City is washed up and things are not what it used to be" and " you guys should be resting up for the game but more then likely you guys are drinking 40's".Meanwhile, when I attended the CITY/poly game a few weeks ago, I was completely surrounded by Dr's, Lawyers, state delegates and wealthy businessmen/ women, many of whom I had the pleasue of graduating with. Together, we watched our Knights blast poly and finish the season undefeated as there had to be at least 9,000 in attendance. Afterward the game, we had a tailgate party where at least 500 City grads partied and enjoyed themselves. Our principal was also in attendence and beaming with school spirit. But BCC is washed up and old news. Many of you have the nerve to wonder why we call ourselves the Jedi's and fire up this frikken board all day and every day with coments that are deamed as bragging as well as arrorgant. The truth of the matter is, we love our school, its rich history, its present direction, the Pincipal, the team, Coach Petrides and the whole nine yards. Therefore, we do not apologize for our school spirit being looked upon as bragging.........

CITY IS FOR REAL

CITY IS TOPS

Meanwhile, we'll keep pumping out 95% of our graduates heading off to college. We will continue to do it as a diverse and multi-cultural Institution in which the entire Baltimore City can be proud of. BCC is a beacon of hope and a historical landmark of astronomical proportions. Theres a reason why we'll praise her to the skies.

I found these statistics on Google. It is about the standardized testing that students need to take to graduate.

Here are City's scores (overall 268.1):

http://www.psk12.com/rating/USindivphp/SchID_1212_year_2006.html

Here are Poly's scores (overall 284.6):

http://www.psk12.com/rating/USindivphp/SchID_1195_year_2006.html

Here are Edmondson's scores (overall 112.4):

http://www.psk12.com/rating/USindivphp/SchID_1191_year_2006.html

Here are Hereford's scores (overall 284.3):

http://www.psk12.com/rating/USindivphp/SchID_1248_year_2006.html

Here are Eastern Tech's scores (overall 294.8):

http://www.psk12.com/rating/USindivphp/SchID_1289_year_2006.html

So, I don't know how your rankings are compiled, but I would bet it has something to do with HISTORY, which yes, City College does have quite an impressive HISTORY. However, in the present, they rank behind Poly, Hereford and (the New American High School winning) Eastern Tech. I included Edmondson in the rankings because they have been included in our discussions.

While I agree with you that City College is among one of the best city public schools, it is not above Poly. It is not above Hereford; nor is it above Eastern Tech.

So, I don't know how Newsweek can rank it as one of the top public schools, unless of course, it includes history.

Terps4ever

Newsweek is a pretty reliable source they do ranking every year from the best colleges, hospitals, medical schools and law schools. They use a number different criteria in each of their ranking process. In the High school ranking they use graduation rate, number of graduating senior accepted in college, attending college, SAT avg., student/teacher ratio, and the number of students taking advance courses. The Web site you usetake the avg test scores of 12th graders in government, Biology and algebra. That web site is not really looking at the whole picture.

Terps4ever

Newsweek is a pretty reliable source they do ranking every year from the best colleges, hospitals, medical schools and law schools. They use a number different criteria in each of their ranking process. In the High school ranking they use graduation rate, number of graduating senior accepted in college, attending college, SAT avg., student/teacher ratio, and the number of students taking advance courses. The Web site you usetake the avg test scores of 12th graders in government, Biology and algebra. That web site is not really looking at the whole picture.

This is what Newsweek and the Washington post uses to rank it best high schools.

The Challenge Index is a method for the statistical ranking of top public high schools in the United States by Washington Post columnist Jay Matthews. This ranking is determined by the extent of availability of the Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate Programs in the school's curriculum and the number of graduating students. Typically, all students taking an AP or IB class will be required to take either a written, oral, or combined examination at the end of the year.

For each school, the study tallies the total number of AP and IB exams are taken that year in the high school. This sum is divided by the number of students graduating in that same year. This ratio is the Challenge Index. Not incorporated with the study are magnet schools, or any school that accepts over 50% of its students via a placement test or other type of admission criterion. The study effectively demonstrates the public schools with greatest opportunity for all students to challenge themselves with college level courses. However, critics argue that this ranking system does a disservice by not taking into consideration the actual performance of the student exams, but merely the quantity of exams taken. Administrators of the study acknowledge that the system is "not a measurement of the overall quality of the school but illuminates one factor that many educators consider important."

The editors, primarily Jay Mathews, defend their ratings by citing recent studies[1] by U.S. Department of Education senior researcher Clifford Adelman. In 1999 and 2005, Adelman showed that the best predictor of college graduation was not good high-school grades or test scores, but whether or not a student had an intense academic experience in high school. The demands of higher level, college-type courses in high school would, according to Newsweek, provide that experience. The editors are critical of some other indices of school excellence, such as US News & World Report “America’s Best Colleges”, as including too many factors, and of American high schools in general, since only 5% of all US high schools make the Newsweek list by having at least 1 AP or IB test score per each graduating senior.

Tablated results of the Challenge Index are published for Washington area high schools in the Washington Post annually. Newsweek also publishes nation-wide results each year.

Speaking of numbers....newsweek has BCC ranked as the 192nd best school in this entire country and number 5 in the entire state. The rankings included every last high school in the country including Both Gilman and Loyola. .

agentorange is that the 2005 ranking because the 2004 Newsweek had BCC @ 392 | City College* | Baltimore | Md. | 1.762 | 50

Also Newsweek ranking only include public schools.

CITY IS FOR REAL

CITY IS TOPS

TO BAD YOU LOST