Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kgt

John Carroll Nationally-Ranked Basketball

945 posts in this topic

They are the second highest ranked team in Maryland and the highest ranked team in this area. The sun will probably put them somewhere in the top 20!

kgt,

It is not going to do you much good tripping out about where JC is ranked in the beginning of the season. If I were a JC player, student, alumni or fan I would be much happier to fly under the radar and take care of buisness considering your best player (Selby) transferred to DeMatha. The "A" conference schedule is brutal and you are whining about potential rankings?

Nationally ranked teams win the games they are supposed to win.

kgt also said - "A team that is deep enough to have D1 Prospects on the bench is going to be a team to be reckoned with."

WELCOME TO THE "A" CONFERENCE

REEDDOLLARZ also said, "JC will probably beat Spalding and Calvert Hall, but TC and St. Joe will give them the business. "

If their new coach is for real, I think Calvert Hall could be a dark horse team this season. They are going to give teams fits the second time around on the schedule. They have some young, talented players in the classes of '09 and '10 . Having said that, I still think they are still a year away.

2 things One hyping your guys up and saying you have 7 DI players is a joke. The same things will happen, that happened at Spalding. IF kids will go DI and they will then transfer out.

How do you lose to a B conference team with 7 DI players? I don't care if it is early in the season or not. Answer is coaching, coaching coaching!!! Or the power of technology and propoganda, propoganda, propoganda!!!

What a joke Martin is and his spin!

Come down to TC this year, we can't wait to get our hands on the 21st team in the nation!

These kids did not ask to be "nationally" ranked. I hope none of you who couldn't wait to start bashing them after one loss, don't lose to anybody this season. Wow.

The last team from Maryland to have a national ranking and a D1 player on the bench was early 80's Dunbar with former Celtic Reggie Lewis as the sixth man. If Martin had coached that team, the "hype" would have landed Dunbar an expansion team in the NBA.

Will JC be a .500 team this year? Sure hope all those letters of intent are signed and sealed on your 7 D1 players. before the A confernce/catholic games begin. "Dorothy, your not in Kansas anymore"

Wouldn't rule out Gibbons having a top 5 finish

Agreed! I overlooked them. Definitie sleeper!

These kids did not ask to be "nationally" ranked. I hope none of you who couldn't wait to start bashing them after one loss, don't lose to anybody this season. Wow.

Well said; out of the woodwork they come.It's all good, I think the kids understand that it comes with the territory, at least I hope they do. We shall see what the future brings...............................

The last team from Maryland to have a national ranking and a D1 player on the bench was early 80's Dunbar with former Celtic Reggie Lewis as the sixth man. If Martin had coached that team, the "hype" would have landed Dunbar an expansion team in the NBA.

I understand what you're getting at but, where have you been since the 80's. Numerous schools have been ranked including Martin's former school Spalding with Rudy Gay and Glick.

kgt,

It is not going to do you much good tripping out about where JC is ranked in the beginning of the season. If I were a JC player, student, alumni or fan I would be much happier to fly under the radar and take care of buisness considering your best player (Selby) transferred to DeMatha. The "A" conference schedule is brutal and you are whining about potential rankings?

Nationally ranked teams win the games they are supposed to win.

kgt also said - "A team that is deep enough to have D1 Prospects on the bench is going to be a team to be reckoned with."

WELCOME TO THE "A" CONFERENCE

REEDDOLLARZ also said, "JC will probably beat Spalding and Calvert Hall, but TC and St. Joe will give them the business. "

If their new coach is for real, I think Calvert Hall could be a dark horse team this season. They are going to give teams fits the second time around on the schedule. They have some young, talented players in the classes of '09 and '10 . Having said that, I still think they are still a year away.

First of all, Selby was not their best player. Thats Phillmore without a doubt. They are a better team without Selby, or as I like to call him, ego. This team WILL lose games. They will probably lose a lot of games. Should they be ranked nationally? No, skill wise, they are not the 21st best team in the nation. Publicity wise, yeah id say they are.

I don't understand what all the Big Talk is about JC? They could not win the B-Conf. last yr and there they would not win the B-Conf. this yr. They have already lost to Mount Carmel 72-61 who is still in the B. ( I have to admit MC is a perty good BBall team but.) I believe there are a lot of people going to be eating crow come end of basketball season over JC.

Apparently Gaspic, the new Croat PG, and Kuba combined for 1 point.

Jeff Foxworthy joke of the day.

European.

"Stop it, European on my boots!"

I understand what you're getting at but, where have you been since the 80's. Numerous schools have been ranked including Martin's former school Spalding with Rudy Gay and Glick.

I was referring to a team having seven (7) D1 players on it's roster (very rare) and being nationally ranked. Obviously, JC is not worthy.

Dunbar early 80's yes -- JC '07, losing by double digits to a B conf team pretty much spells things out, doesn't it?

There have been years when Baltimore didn't have seven D1's from the entire metro area. How many area players have signed through the early period, this year?

You must admit it's rare to have a team with D1 talent on the bench. I don't know who starts or who gets the minutes on JC, or who designated certain players as D1 talent? The hype, however, is breathtaking. This appears to be the work of yet another high school coach "posing" for his own glorification.

Worse yet is the possibility that some of those kids from JC could have actually ridden the "hype wave" and signed early and did not. If mom and dad were waiting for "a better offer", well they might be waiting a long time.

Kinda takes the fun outta the whole high school experience, don't you think? Remember Tamir Goodman!!

2005-2006 Msj team finished ranked 8th nationally and they had Justin McCoy and Henry Simms coming off the bench and they will both be d-1 players granted they were only sophomores that year

A rare exception, duly noted. The area's best coach and a storied program with tradition, purpose and local talent. But they still might not have had 7 D1's on that roster. I don't know for sure.

BTW, when did it become fashionable to import kids from far away places just to win a few basketball games?

Did JC import any kids who play the piano to improve their band?

Didn't think so.

Well said; out of the woodwork they come.It's all good, I think the kids understand that it comes with the territory, at least I hope they do. We shall see what the future brings...............................

Yeah, the comment about the D1 scholarships being pulled was funny too. Never heard of a college pulling an offer over the outcome of a high school team's season. Hey, did you see the Mt. Carmel parent that threw himself on the court after one of the calls against them?? :eek:

A rare exception, duly noted. The area's best coach and a storied program with tradition, purpose and local talent. But they still might not have had 7 D1's on that roster. I don't know for sure.

BTW, when did it become fashionable to import kids from far away places just to win a few basketball games?

Did JC import any kids who play the piano to improve their band?

Didn't think so.

Heard a rumor that Billy Ripken's son is coming to JC next year and that he wants to back their baseball program. Guess everyone will be trashing JC's baseball in the next few years.

Yeah, the comment about the D1 scholarships being pulled was funny too. Never heard of a college pulling an offer over the outcome of a high school team's season. Hey, did you see the Mt. Carmel parent that threw himself on the court after one of the calls against them?? :eek:

haha yeah i saw that guy and there was a couple of other crazy mt carmel parents there

The generally don't give schollys to kids who set picks score an occassional hoop and cheer for their teammates. We'll see... .500 season still looks ambitious. Good luck!

The generally don't give schollys to kids who set picks score an occassional hoop and cheer for their teammates. We'll see... .500 season still looks ambitious. Good luck!

o.k., where did you coach, or play? What's your background. Sounds like you have some decent insight I just would like to know YOUR credentials? The commits have been talked about, the scholarships for them are secure I can assure you (but I do thank you for your overwhelming concern for the kids well being).

BTW: the parent on the floor was the PG's dad.........

2005-2006 Msj team finished ranked 8th nationally and they had Justin McCoy and Henry Simms coming off the bench and they will both be d-1 players granted they were only sophomores that year

I'm not sure about Justin McCoy going D-1 but Gregory, Adams, Swecker, Birdsong, and Goodwin were the starting five on that squad and they are all playing D-1 right now. Next year Simms will make six from that great team.

McCoy recently signed with Coppin State.

Did not know that. Thanks for the info. I hope Justin bounces back from his sub-par junior year.

o.k., where did you coach, or play? What's your background. Sounds like you have some decent insight I just would like to know YOUR credentials? The commits have been talked about, the scholarships for them are secure I can assure you (but I do thank you for your overwhelming concern for the kids well being).

BTW: the parent on the floor was the PG's dad.........

I've been around. The "hey, look at me" attitude from boosters and parents of a school whose sold it's soul to win a few basketball games and hasn't done ANYTHING yet is what's wrong with high school sports. Do something first, work hard and stay humble.

As much opportunity as the MSJ people have had to rub others noses in their teams' success over the past few years and did not, tells you something about them.

They have class. Really, JC folks, get over yourselves