Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kgt

John Carroll Nationally-Ranked Basketball

945 posts in this topic

A rare exception, duly noted. The area's best coach and a storied program with tradition, purpose and local talent. But they still might not have had 7 D1's on that roster. I don't know for sure.

BTW, when did it become fashionable to import kids from far away places just to win a few basketball games?

Did JC import any kids who play the piano to improve their band?

Didn't think so.

Ironic you ask about imports following the Mt. Carmel-JC game. Carmel did exactly that to take a program that was languishing at the bottom of the C-Conference to the top of the B. Curley also did a few years back that elevated them to the top of the B. That's locally. For those with longer term memories, do you think it was happenstance that Patrick Ewing arrived in the Boston area when he was 13 yrs old? So it has been going on for a while, and while it may not be considered fashionable, it has been happening regularly and can't be pinned solely on JC as a means to upgrade your team. With all that said, I'm not a fan of that approach - I like the thought of HS ball being neighborhood vs. neighborhood. But alas, like my Jack Purcell's, those days are gone.

I've been around. The "hey, look at me" attitude from boosters and parents of a school whose sold it's soul to win a few basketball games and hasn't done ANYTHING yet is what's wrong with high school sports. Do something first, work hard and stay humble.

As much opportunity as the MSJ people have had to rub others noses in their teams' success over the past few years and did not, tells you something about them.

They have class. Really, JC folks, get over yourselves

If you notice it's not any of the JC parents or players that start these threads. They merely respond when people criticize the kids who have done nothing to deserve the animosity that others post toward them. Most of the "D1" recruits on this team have proven themselves outside of the JC program and will no doubt find their way to a great collegiate basketball program after JC. If you don't like the way Coach Martin operates that's your opinion, but you shouldn't put down a bunch of young men who have worked so hard to become better players.

BTW-Did you ever notice that not one JC parent ever talks about another school's program or player??:rolleyes:

Most of the "D1" recruits on this team have proven themselves outside of the JC program and will no doubt find their way to a great collegiate basketball program after JC.

AAU totally degrades the high school game. I don't care that someone was the MVP of the East Coast All Star Charity Invitational Super Star Tournament in God knows where. AAU is closer to street ball then real basketball.

Do something in a High School game that actually matters.

If you're an actual JC fan you should worry about how they do in JC games. Nothing else.

I'm not attacking the KC guys who play AAU, just the system in general.

I wasn't just talking about AAU. I was trying to make a point to the poster who said all the offers would wither away if they have a bad season. I am a JC fan and would like to see them win every game, but I know they will not always be on top of their game and will lose a few, maybe many this year. Especially, being moved up to a new division. I also know how much most of the kids that are being looked at by D1 schools have given up to be considered for that level. When most high school kids are hanging out with friends, these guys are in the gym shooting baskets or running drills. I just think it's unfair for people to make disparaging remarks about a bunch of guys they know nothing about personally just because they dislike the coach and how he tries to promote his program.

I wasn't just talking about AAU. I was trying to make a point to the poster who said all the offers would wither away if they have a bad season. I am a JC fan and would like to see them win every game, but I know they will not always be on top of their game and will lose a few, maybe many this year. Especially, being moved up to a new division. I also know how much most of the kids that are being looked at by D1 schools have given up to be considered for that level. When most high school kids are hanging out with friends, these guys are in the gym shooting baskets or running drills. I just think it's unfair for people to make disparaging remarks about a bunch of guys they know nothing about personally just because they dislike the coach and how he tries to promote his program.

Words out of my mouth, the detractors start bashing, the fans respond, and we are the people that need to "get over ourselves". It's been going on for a while. That is the mind set of the county right now. Don't applaud the kid's for working their asses off, condem them for playing at the "evil empire". Go back and read the posts from JC supporters, no one trashes other schools like the stuff posted about JC, they (me included) simply respond to the venom constantly thrown at the JC program..............

I have nothing against any of the kids who go to JC athletes or not. Tons of friends from the school, nice kids. It's the people who constantly hype up a team that A: does not need any more hype and B: is IMO overrated. Is that the kids fault? NOWAY. Is it the coaches fault? partly. Faculties? partly. I think people would be much more open to JC going from bottom of the barrel to Top of county if it was not being JAMMED down our throats and if they earned the credit. They are doing a great job, but they are not close to where they think they should be IMHO.

Words out of my mouth, the detractors start bashing, the fans respond, and we are the people that need to "get over ourselves". It's been going on for a while. That is the mind set of the county right now. Don't applaud the kid's for working their asses off, condem them for playing at the "evil empire". Go back and read the posts from JC supporters, no one trashes other schools like the stuff posted about JC, they (me included) simply respond to the venom constantly thrown at the JC program..............

I think that people are reacting to the absurdity of such a high national ranking for a program that has not earned it. This ranking truly came out of no where and is not collaborated on any other national poll. It comes on the heels of countless press releases from the program about its players that people view as shameless self promotion. I believe that JC will have a good a season, but unfortunately that ranking put a bullseye on their back and the early loss to OLMC is viewed as validation that they are not even among the elite in the metro area.

I agree with you, however, that this is no reason to denegrate the kids on the team. They did not ask for the ranking and are simply teenagers playing high school basketball.

Honestly, I don't know how ESPN comes up with their rankings (maybe someone should look into it). From what I know about these kids they would rather just play the game. I guess if I attended another high school and was as good as some of the guys that are being looked at by D1 schools, I might be jealous that they were getting all of this exposure and I wasn't (I don't know what the other schools do). But maybe instead of hating Coach Martin they should ask why their school doesn't do more for them. I wouldn't really call it "self" promotion. The guys on the team aren't the ones blowing their own horns.

sharpshooter-I understand your point, and most of them would probably not disagree with anyone who thinks they have not earned that ranking.

He wasn't involving a teammate bird fan, he was trying to show up the other team. You were there, you know it. I was there, I know it. That is Troy's game, fine, but it was what it was.

wt do you actually read what you type?

I agree with Shooter I have no problem with the kids on the team. I don't think they even post. It is not even the coach, hyping the team is part of his job. It's the attitude of some parents and boosters that rubs me the wrong way.

[/b]

wt do you actually read what you type?

I agree with Shooter I have no problem with the kids on the team. I don't think they even post. It is not even the coach, hyping the team is part of his job. It's the attitude of some parents and boosters that rubs me the wrong way.

I think you have access to all past posts, go look. I will be a fan, but I am done answering the blah, blah, blah. Let the season play out, and good luck to all.........

thats great to hear sounds like that loss to mt carmel really woke them up

mud is wrong.

John Carroll actually beat St. Mary's 85-72. Erick Smith, Philmore, and Wiegand combined for about fifty.

Glad to see continued improvement from Smith and Philmore. They still have this season and next to play with each other.

I was there, and it definitely was not 85-72. Philmore won MVP for the Patriots. They did win by 13 pts though.

At least I was a hell of alot closer to the score then mud. It must be hard to memorize the score of a game when you try and keep track of it in your head and not look at the scoreboard the whole time.

Ok. Ok. wt's right. I could have sworn they didn't get into the 80's. We stayed until the half of CHC and Gonzaga.

At least I was a hell of alot closer to the score then mud. It must be hard to memorize the score of a game when you try and keep track of it in your head and not look at the scoreboard the whole time.

HA HA your funny.

Yeah, my husband and son graduated from there and all I've been hearing is how they are gonna give JC a beating!

I don't think John Carroll was very impressive tonight, I was more impressed by St. Mary's then JC.

I will say this Wiegand has improved, and I felt that the best players on the court for JC were Philmore, and Erick Smith. They were the only 'A' caliber talent that can show consistency.

Morgan-Green lit 'em up for 27, and he is 5'11 tops. Very fast Saints team, good perimiter shooting, could contend with Mt. Carmel. Depth came thru for JC. It seemed they had more players to play when the 4th quarter rolled along, but it was a close game up until the 4th, JC can't expect to do this against the big boys of TC, St. Joe, Gibbons, St. Frances, and Loyola.

Regardless, good win for the Patriots.