Recent headlines from The Baltimore Sun

Photo
- - - - -

Bedard to Reds?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#1 Redlegs

Redlegs

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 08:12 PM

I'm hearing rumors out of Cincinnati involving talks between the Reds and O's regarding Erik Bedard. The names being discussed for Bedard is RHP Homer Bailey, minor league OF Jay Bruce, and 1B Joey Votto, with the possibility of two of those guys going to Baltimore.

I know this, if the Reds could land Bedard, it would probably propel them to frontrunner status in the National League Central.

Yes, but I also realize I have no clue. I don't actually buy my own BS.

#2 rtwu48d

rtwu48d

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,391 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 08:16 PM

I'm hearing rumors out of Cincinnati involving talks between the Reds and O's regarding Erik Bedard. The names being discussed for Bedard is RHP Homer Bailey, minor league OF Jay Bruce, and 1B Joey Votto, with the possibility of two of those guys going to Baltimore.

I know this, if the Reds could land Bedard, it would probably propel them to frontrunner status in the National League Central.

Jay Bruce, Homer Bailey and Josh Hamilton for Bedard and Ramon Hernandez. Take it or leave it.
Orioles Offseason/Midseason plan:

1) Release Melvin Mora immediately.
2) Sign nothing but capable starting pitchers.
3) Trade nothing but for capable starting pitchers.

#3 Redlegs

Redlegs

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 08:19 PM

Jay Bruce, Homer Bailey and Josh Hamilton for Bedard and Ramon Hernandez. Take it or leave it.

They may take that deal. Bedard is a top of the line LHP. Add him to a staff of Harang and Arroyo with Cordero closing and the look of the Reds changes big time.

#4 Stotle

Stotle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,209 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 08:22 PM

I think you'd have to choose between Bruce and Bailey, with a lesser prospect or Edwin Encarnacion substituted in.

Bailey/Hamilton/Encarnacion
Bruce/Cueto

for example

#5 DFA

DFA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,754 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 08:24 PM

The Reds are an interesting team. They have a loaded farm system, including a very nice quartet, but they also have Griffey and Dunn for what, one more year? So, I guess they have to figure if they are want to go for it now or be more conservative and go for the long haul. I'm guessing with Dusty on board, they are in win-now mode.

Is it realistic to pry Bruce from Krivsky?
Imagine no hypotheticals

#6 JeffhandsofStone

JeffhandsofStone

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,439 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 08:26 PM

Bruce is untouchable. The best we can get from Cin is Bailey,Hamilton and Encarnacion. Jim Callis today says he takes that deal if he's Bal.
I was arrested at the 1976 Democratic convention but it's OK I was just beating up hippies and my cousin fixes NBA games- Jack Donaghy

#7 Stotle

Stotle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,209 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 08:27 PM

The Reds are an interesting team. They have a loaded farm system, including a very nice quartet, but they also have Griffey and Dunn for what, one more year? So, I guess they have to figure if they are want to go for it now or be more conservative and go for the long haul. I'm guessing with Dusty on board, they are in win-now mode.

Is it realistic to pry Bruce from Krivsky?

I wouldn't think you could pry Bruce away. However, fool that I am I thought Delmon Young, Curtis Maybin and Andrew Miller were pretty untouchable too :o

#8 Stotle

Stotle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,209 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 08:29 PM

Bruce is untouchable. The best we can get from Cin is Bailey,Hamilton and Encarnacion. Jim Callis today says he takes that deal if he's Bal.

You'd think so, but the last week has shown us some teams are getting a little kooky with their "untouchables" ;)

#9 Redlegs

Redlegs

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 08:31 PM

From Paul Daugherty of the Cincinnati Enquirer.....

The Reds haven't made a Big Deal here. As Yogi - or maybe it was Minnie Pearl - said, it ain't over 'til it's over. They are actively pursuing Baltimore Orioles' ace lefty Erik Bedard and would get down to business with the Oakland A's over Dan Haren, if the A's were committed to trading Haren, which they are not. Evidently.

The hangup with Bedard quite possibly is Baltimore's asking for Jay Bruce, among others, in return. Bruce is as close to untouchable as exists in RedsLand. The hangup with Haren is Oakland is asking too much, period. Both situations are subject to change.

#10 JeffhandsofStone

JeffhandsofStone

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,439 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 08:48 PM

You'd think so, but the last week has shown us some teams are getting a little kooky with their "untouchables" ;)

Callis admitted that he thought Maybin was untouchable too. Bruce is the best prospect in baseball with Kershaw the best Pitching prospect. Teams have learned not to give those up anymore after watching Fla,Det and Col get to the World Series. But Cin is the Orioles of the NL. They are desperate to win and play in a much crappier division so who knows? A Bedard/Harang duo instantly gives them the best 1-2 in the division. Bottom line is clearly MacPhail understands that we need to trade these guys but until it happens the Angelos interferes and squashes trade articles are going to keep coming. Maybe unfairly since MacPhail is widely known as a slow,methodical trader.
I was arrested at the 1976 Democratic convention but it's OK I was just beating up hippies and my cousin fixes NBA games- Jack Donaghy

#11 dmt16

dmt16

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,882 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 08:52 PM

Callis admitted that he thought Maybin was untouchable too. Bruce is the best prospect in baseball with Kershaw the best Pitching prospect. Teams have learned not to give those up anymore after watching Fla,Det and Col get to the World Series. But Cin is the Orioles of the NL. They are desperate to win and play in a much crappier division so who knows? A Bedard/Harang duo instantly gives them the best 1-2 in the division. Bottom line is clearly MacPhail understands that we need to trade these guys but until it happens the Angelos interferes and squashes trade articles are going to keep coming. Maybe unfairly since MacPhail is widely known as a slow,methodical trader.

Good points about McPhail style.

#12 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Suspended

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,894 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 08:22 AM

Bruce and Bailey are absolute studs from what I read. This bears watching ... :)

#13 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Suspended

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,894 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 08:24 AM

I don't think any prospect is untouchable when you reach this point for someone like Bedard or Santana...:)

#14 FutureOwner

FutureOwner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 08:46 AM

if you are on the verge of competing for a division and you can get a guy like Bedard, you have to do what is neccessary.

If this were the mid 90's and Bedard were available from the Padres, and were asking for Jeffery Hammonds and Alex Ochoa are you telling me we wouldnt have to do the deal?
Dont worry guys, Im gonna buy the team soon.

#15 TheIcon

TheIcon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,836 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 09:08 AM

Please don't mention the name Jeffery Hammonds. I got 900 RC of his. Worst gamble I took lol
I'm a Legend in Japan

#16 JeffhandsofStone

JeffhandsofStone

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,439 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 09:11 AM

if you are on the verge of competing for a division and you can get a guy like Bedard, you have to do what is neccessary.

If this were the mid 90's and Bedard were available from the Padres, and were asking for Jeffery Hammonds and Alex Ochoa are you telling me we wouldnt have to do the deal?

Bruce is considered the best prospect in baseball. The Orioles have NEVER had that. Don't make me laugh with Hammonds and Ochoa.

#17 TravisMoon

TravisMoon

Oriole-riffic Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,956 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 09:23 AM

From Paul Daugherty of the Cincinnati Enquirer.....

The Reds haven't made a Big Deal here. As Yogi - or maybe it was Minnie Pearl - said, it ain't over 'til it's over. They are actively pursuing Baltimore Orioles' ace lefty Erik Bedard and would get down to business with the Oakland A's over Dan Haren, if the A's were committed to trading Haren, which they are not. Evidently.

The hangup with Bedard quite possibly is Baltimore's asking for Jay Bruce, among others, in return. Bruce is as close to untouchable as exists in RedsLand. The hangup with Haren is Oakland is asking too much, period. Both situations are subject to change.

Redlegs,

How good can Bruce be? Does he have superstar makeup?

BTW, I'm lovin' Cincy! I went in with some other guys at work for a season ticket package. Great American Ballpark is very cool.

TM
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "The Preying Matusz" devours another batter!

#18 wild25card

wild25card

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 09:42 AM

PROSPECT!!!!!!!!!!
I have magic beens for a dollar they will grow into major league players in a year

#19 Stotle

Stotle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,209 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 09:57 AM

Redlegs,

How good can Bruce be? Does he have superstar makeup?

BTW, I'm lovin' Cincy! I went in with some other guys at work for a season ticket package. Great American Ballpark is very cool.

TM

.300/30 potential eventually with solid defense in CF/LF.

"On the 20-80 scouting scale, his bat rates as a 65, his power as a 65-70, his speed as a 55, his defense in center field as a 55 (projected as a 60 if he moves to right field) and his arm as a 60."

-Baseball America

#20 Penzphan

Penzphan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 11:13 AM

I am unable to provide facts for this statement, but I definitely remember teams clamoring to acquire the "rifle armed" Alex Ochoa, and he was, at the time, an untouchable in the O's eyes. Hmm, how far we've fallen.

Go O's!
There's a new Sheriff in town, and his name's Andy MacPhail

Penzphan