Recent headlines from The Baltimore Sun

Photo
- - - - -

Best places to have a Baby Shower

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 Baal

Baal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,362 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 09:36 PM

Hey People!!!

My mom and I are looking for a nice place to have my sister's baby shower.

We are looking to rent a space that will hold 50 people in the Southwest Baltimore or Glen Burnie area.

Any ideas?

All help will be greatly appreciated.

~b
I love to watch Fox News because conservatives are much more interesting to watch. They make good TV. Just look at this clip.

#2 Aga

Aga

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,034 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 10:11 PM

All help will be greatly appreciated.

~b

I can probably make some deviled eggs... ;)

“Any man can hold her hand, only the elite can hold her feet" - Sole Man

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I Dream of Peace" - LeRoy Bell

"This machine surrounds hate and causes it to surrender" - Pete Seeger

#3 CountessMeout

CountessMeout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,278 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 11:07 AM

Idon't live over that way but you could try any restaurants that have banquet room facilities or a chain hotel like Holiday Inn etc would rent a meeting room for a few hundred dollars fro x number of hours. VFW'S and fraternal organizations often have a large room that they rent. And if anyone has an affiliation with a church- halls are often free to members' use or at a reduced cost. Have a good time whatever you choose. :)
CountessMeout

#4 Jaded Diva

Jaded Diva

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,471 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 11:15 AM

how about a local fire hall? I know many in the area rent these spaces. Or community centers too. I know in Columbia each community center has rooms to rent for meetings and events. Just some ideas. :)
Karma. It's a beotch!

Jesus saves, Moses invests, but only Buddha pays out dividends!

Visit Jordyn's blog ~ www.jordynterra.blogspot.com to learn more about Jordyn Gomez, a 3 year old with Aicardi Syndrome, a rare brain disorder.

#5 bj_1

bj_1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,565 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 11:19 AM

how about a local fire hall? I know many in the area rent these spaces. Or community centers too. I know in Columbia each community center has rooms to rent for meetings and events. Just some ideas. :)

Or a VFW Hall??? Some do rent out their halls for dances, parties, etc.

"KEEP YOUR FRIENDS CLOSE ...

KEEP YOUR ENEMIES CLOSER ...

NOW, CAN YOU TELL THE DIFFERENCE?"

#6 julieperl

julieperl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,274 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 11:22 AM

How about the Sunset Inn? The food is excellent.

Seriously though, is this what your sister wants? I'm asking because I had to lug gifts from a baby shower, to my car, and into my house from 50 people when I was 8 months pregnant and it was misery. My husband did a lot but I was already exhausted from the party and then I had to clean up an entire living room full of stuff before the dog decided to get nosey. The next day was a total waste because I was still so tired. Something to think about.

Because of all of this- I highly recommend a baby shower be held where ever the gifts are going to be used. I'm hosting a baby shower in February for a friend. She asked if I would have it at my house. I said yes, but then shared the above story. The shower is going to be at her house :). Plus, I know people are going to want to see her nursury.

I don't need any new ideas. I'm confused enough already.
Patrick- The Brothers McMullen

#7 BARD

BARD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,157 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 02:26 PM

The Old Country Buffet or Cactus Willies. They each have rooms that they will allow you to reserve and your guest can help themselves to the buffet. No clean up for you. I've been to a baby shower at Old Country and a retirement party at Cactus Willies and the guest seemed to enjoy themselves.

#8 DAISYDORIGHT

DAISYDORIGHT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,238 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 02:51 PM

I see Juliep's point and I also see the no mess/cleanup at having it at an off site facility. Is she going to be opening her presents in front of everyone or taking them home and opening them? I'm sure it is pretty customary to open them at the shower but I'm not up on what they do now. I think with the weather being such as it is this time of year, having it at home would be nice so there is no trapesying around in nasty weather where as if it was spring or summer or something where the weather was nice, I might opt for a venue. If home isn't big enough to accommodate everyone, could it be done in 2 - say one for the family and one for the friends??????

There is the Italian place on the main drag...Romo's or something like that down in Glen Burnie

#9 Red Baron

Red Baron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,953 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 03:42 PM

Best places to have a Baby Shower

In the bathtub?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Did any of these groups protest against Big Government when it was illegally tapping our phones and denying habeas corpus rights... What we confront, in the anti-reform mobs, are people who approve of coercion and lawlessness, including when it is used by a strong leader... This mimics several of the characteristics Hannah Arendt discovered in the mobs tht brought totalitarianism to the modern world. -- Paul Grenier

#10 Mom49of4

Mom49of4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76,886 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 04:06 PM

At the home of the one receiving the shower - it makes moving the gifts a lot easier.
My children are my legacy.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

#11 Jaz

Jaz

Suspended

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,193 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 04:39 PM

None of you have a house?

#12 Baal

Baal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,362 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 05:28 PM

How about the Sunset Inn? The food is excellent.

Seriously though, is this what your sister wants? I'm asking because I had to lug gifts from a baby shower, to my car, and into my house from 50 people when I was 8 months pregnant and it was misery. My husband did a lot but I was already exhausted from the party and then I had to clean up an entire living room full of stuff before the dog decided to get nosey. The next day was a total waste because I was still so tired. Something to think about.

I agree. It is much easier to have the shower at her house. My mom doesn't like the idea due to the amount of mess that 50 people will leave behind. We are still on the fence about it.
I love to watch Fox News because conservatives are much more interesting to watch. They make good TV. Just look at this clip.

#13 julieperl

julieperl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,274 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 05:30 PM

I agree. It is much easier to have the shower at her house. My mom doesn't like the idea due to the amount of mess that 50 people will leave behind. We are still on the fence about it.

There are pros and cons of both. Maybe you can have someone cater and then there won't be any pots and pans to clean up, just taking out the trash? Or maybe you can hire someone to come in and clean for her? I would have given a toe or three to have someone to clean my house when I was pregnant.

I don't need any new ideas. I'm confused enough already.
Patrick- The Brothers McMullen

#14 CountessMeout

CountessMeout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,278 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 08:45 PM

The last shower I went to was less than 40 people and so crowded we couldn't all get in the room at the same time- to watch the mom to be open the gifts and play the games. Everyone over 5 was pleasant about it but it got very warm, loud and hard to work around people to get to food or whomever you wanted to talk to. Space is a good thing.

Who lets the pregnant mother carry all the stuff home by herself? Designate some "helpers" to move her presents afterward.
CountessMeout

#15 Sprightly

Sprightly

Relaxing in Bimini

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54,494 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 08:48 PM

We held my niece's baby shower in August at the Del Capri. There were appoximately 50 ladies in attendance. The staff did a nice job.
To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover the prisoner was you.

#16 Aga

Aga

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,034 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 09:16 PM

In the bathtub?

...a kitchen sink with the sprayer is usually best actually...

;)

“Any man can hold her hand, only the elite can hold her feet" - Sole Man

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I Dream of Peace" - LeRoy Bell

"This machine surrounds hate and causes it to surrender" - Pete Seeger

#17 Gigi

Gigi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,099 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 09:21 PM

...a kitchen sink with the sprayer is usually best actually...

;)

That is a great place for a baby bath! Their little chubby bodies splashing around in the sink. So precious. :)
There once was a girl with a curl in the middle of her forehead. When she was good, she was very good; but when she was bad, she was horrid!