Recent headlines from The Baltimore Sun

Photo
- - - - -

Judge Mimi Cooper

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
39 replies to this topic

#1 miikal20

miikal20

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 03:53 PM

I have a question I was hoping one of the readers here could answer. I was listening to the Ed Norris show today, and one of the callers alluded to Judge Mimi Cooper (District Court, Harford County) had gotten herself in some trouble for DWI or DUI. Anybody know anything about this? I was wondering because I received a DWI from her and she was harsh. I had never received even a ticket before and she wouldn't even consider PBJ.

#2 In_The_Ville

In_The_Ville

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 05:29 PM

Does Mimi Cooper do her drunk driving in a Mini Cooper?
Government is not the solution. Government is the problem.

Anyone But O'Malley 2010

#3 Baltimatt

Baltimatt

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,727 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 05:33 PM

Welcome to the board, Miikal.

There was a recent story about Baltimore County Circuit Judge Lawrence Daniels being acquitted by a visiting Baltimore judge in Harford County.

I don't know if that's what they were talking about.
Dieser Weg wird kein leichter sein; dieser Weg wird steinig und schwer.
Nicht mit vielen wirst du dir einig sein, doch dieses Leben bietet so viel mehr. --Xavier Naidoo

#4 George-WNEC

George-WNEC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,356 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 05:40 PM

I have a question I was hoping one of the readers here could answer. I was listening to the Ed Norris show today, and one of the callers alluded to Judge Mimi Cooper (District Court, Harford County) had gotten herself in some trouble for DWI or DUI. Anybody know anything about this? I was wondering because I received a DWI from her and she was harsh. I had never received even a ticket before and she wouldn't even consider PBJ.

Did you know that drinking alcohol will affect your mind and muscle reactions? Did you know that drinking and driving is ILLEGAL?

Did you go out and knowingly drink, then get in your vehicle and drive?

Yet now you are crying because you knowingly broke the law? :rolleyes:
15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

2 Timothy 4:3-4

"For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths."

GOD said Hello today, Did you Hear HIM!? :)

#5 In_The_Ville

In_The_Ville

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 06:06 PM

Did you know that drinking alcohol will affect your mind and muscle reactions? Did you know that drinking and driving is ILLEGAL?

No, not yet at least. Driving with a BAC of .08 or above is illegal.
Government is not the solution. Government is the problem.

Anyone But O'Malley 2010

#6 George-WNEC

George-WNEC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,356 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 06:10 PM

No, not yet at least. Driving with a BAC of .08 or above is illegal.

That is what I was referring to....Not having just one beer over two hours with food in between. I was speaking in context of the law.
15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

"For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths."

#7 jonsensback

jonsensback

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,659 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 06:22 PM

That is what I was referring to....Not having just one beer over two hours with food in between. I was speaking in context of the law.

The thread starter does have a point though George.

If a sitting judge doesn't allow a PBJ for a onetime offender which btw is the norm, its only human nature to wonder what punishment she got.

And I never read where the poster wanted special treatment, just equal justice which is a right not a privelege.

#8 P~SIZZLE

P~SIZZLE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 06:24 PM

Did you go out and knowingly drink, then get in your vehicle and drive?

Yet now you are crying because you knowingly broke the law? :rolleyes:

Wow, you are like, the most noble, dignified and honorable person to ever look down your nose at another poster on a message board.

Seriously, get over yourself.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

#9 George-WNEC

George-WNEC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,356 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 06:24 PM

The thread starter does have a point though George.

If a sitting judge doesn't allow a PBJ for a onetime offender which btw is the norm, its only human nature to wonder what punishment she got.

And I never read where the poster wanted special treatment, just equal justice which is a right not a privelege.

I wonder, if the judge gave a muderer a light sentence. What would you want the same judge to do to a different person killing your family member?

#10 George-WNEC

George-WNEC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,356 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 06:25 PM

Wow, you are like, the most noble, dignified and honorable person to ever look down your nose at another poster on a message board.

Seriously, get over yourself.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

This from the child who spits on people.

#11 jtowne-swim

jtowne-swim

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,290 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 06:53 PM

I am fairly certian The Honorable Judge Copper; District Court Harford County (Not to be confused with the other two district court judges with the same name in this state) has NOT recieved a DWI/DUI. I would be floored to find that out. She may be harsh but she seems fair.
In 20 years....... when global warming causes the polar ice caps to melt....... and the whole planet floods. Swimmers will rule the World:cool: !

ACTION....ADVENTURE.....EXCITEMENT....A Jedi seeks not these things.:D
-Master Yoda

#12 mayday

mayday

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 07:11 PM

The good Judge Cooper is a Democrat, therefore everyone will simply smile and wink and think what she did was just cute and mischievous.

#13 jtowne-swim

jtowne-swim

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,290 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 07:36 PM

Can someone actually provide a link to this before insisting she did anything wrong? because if this was to continue it would be libel!
In 20 years....... when global warming causes the polar ice caps to melt....... and the whole planet floods. Swimmers will rule the World:cool: !

-Master Yoda

#14 Sagittarius

Sagittarius

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 08:20 PM

DRAG HER TO THE SQUARE

I demand justice.

Joke!!

#15 Baltimatt

Baltimatt

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,727 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 08:35 PM

I did not find any listings for her as a defendant in the Maryland Judiciary case search.
Dieser Weg wird kein leichter sein; dieser Weg wird steinig und schwer.
Nicht mit vielen wirst du dir einig sein, doch dieses Leben bietet so viel mehr. --Xavier Naidoo

#16 jonsensback

jonsensback

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,659 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 08:46 PM

I wonder, if the judge gave a muderer a light sentence. What would you want the same judge to do to a different person killing your family member?

Please George don't go dramatic on me again, thats such a waste of bandwidth.

Were not talking about a light sentence, we are talking about the usual treatment for a offense.

If you think thats light treatment get off a talk forum and change the law.

The originator just asked a question, not open a debate on hazards of drunk drivingor if any question of guilt exsist.

#17 miikal20

miikal20

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 05:52 PM

I simply asked a question,I did not want to open a debate on drunk driving. However, since you asked: I feel that the law should be consisten throughout not just one judge, but throughout the state. You shouldn't have one judge handing out a suspended sentence for a first timer, andthendown the hall have another judge hand out a PBJ. I'm not asking for lighter treatment, just fairness. And since we're on it, I love some of these posters, with their "well you shouldn't have been drinking, don't you know the law". ***? Like these people have never done anything wrong! It's usually those people who are the biggest hypocrites. But where they really get you is in the all the fines, points, etc. that come along with a conviction. I had never had a point (never even a ticket) since I began driving (around 1992 or so). And now all of a sudden I have 12 :mad:! Now my insurance goes up to where I almost can't afford to drive. I know, maybe I'll be like those in the city, screw it, drive with no license or insurance. They seem to be able to get away with it. Why is the system set up to screw over the regular law abiding citizens who happen to make a mistake, adn let those with no regard for the law run free?

#18 George-WNEC

George-WNEC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,356 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 06:02 PM

Please George don't go dramatic on me again, thats such a waste of bandwidth.

Were not talking about a light sentence, we are talking about the usual treatment for a offense.

If you think thats light treatment get off a talk forum and change the law.

The originator just asked a question, not open a debate on hazards of drunk drivingor if any question of guilt exsist.

jonesen, I have a good friend who got popped for DWI, he got six months in jail with work release; first offense.

Frankly, I think that was fair, as I told him. There is NO excuse for drinking & driving (over the limit) NONE.

Dramatic? Tell that to the father & son who were killed yesterday or the lady in FLA who was killed two days ago- because of drunk drivers.

We all know by now, drinking & driving is against the law. You take your chances with the judge.

If you or he think the treatment is unfair, get off the interent and do something about it. The member who came here looking for information, made a blank statement about a judge that has yet to be proven. Even if it was true, just what did this person think they would do with the information?

He or she made the choice to drink & drive, no one forced them to take a drink, no one forced them to drink more than one beer or shot what have you, then get in their car and drive away.

Wasted bandwidth? Screw that. I hate drunk drivers, hate them. For me, it is MURDER, no different than pointing a loaded gun at some one and pulling the trigger.

How is that for dramatic?

You shouldn't have one judge handing out a suspended sentence for a first timer, andthendown the hall have another judge hand out a PBJ. I'm not asking for lighter treatment, just fairness. And since we're on it, I love some of these posters, with their "well you shouldn't have been drinking, don't you know the law". ***? Like these people have never done anything wrong! It's usually those people who are the biggest hypocrites.

I agree, everyone who drives drunk or under the influence should get minimum 30 days plus community service. Sadly, most get walks.

Do I drink & drive? Nope. Have I in the past? Yep. I woke up with a car coming right at me while I was across the center line, horn blaring, head lights flashing. Thankfully, no one was hurt, no accident occured. Since then, I learned my lesson.

Does that make me a hypocrite? If you say so. That does not excuse YOU from doing it. The fact you even went there shows you are trying to shirk your responsibility here. What can you possibly gain from knowing if the judge did what you claimed you heard? You came here for sympathy, I have none for you.

#19 jtowne-swim

jtowne-swim

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,290 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 08:57 PM

I simply asked a question,I did not want to open a debate on drunk driving. However, since you asked: I feel that the law should be consisten throughout not just one judge, but throughout the state. You shouldn't have one judge handing out a suspended sentence for a first timer, andthendown the hall have another judge hand out a PBJ.

Agreed no PBJ for anyone everyone spends time in jail!

....... I'm not asking for lighter treatment, just fairness. ......

Fair is not equal!

.....And since we're on it, I love some of these posters, with their "well you shouldn't have been drinking, don't you know the law". ***? Like these people have never done anything wrong! It's usually those people who are the biggest hypocrites.......

Your right I don't drink and drive having had family the inocent victims of drunk drivers I personally think you should burn in hell for your crime.

.....But where they really get you is in the all the fines, points, etc. that come along with a conviction. I had never had a point (never even a ticket) since I began driving (around 1992 or so). And now all of a sudden I have 12 :mad:! Now my insurance goes up to where I almost can't afford to drive. I know, maybe I'll be like those in the city, screw it, drive with no license or insurance. They seem to be able to get away with it........

This is the part where you fail to take responsibility for your crime and why you don't deserve the special consideration you ask of the court obviously you see nothing wrong with what you did.

.....Why is the system set up to screw over the regular law abiding citizens who happen to make a mistake, adn let those with no regard for the law run free?

It isn't; law abiding citizens don't drive drunk. You got behind the wheel of a car drunk and stopped being a law abiding citizen so you deserve to get screwed.

-Master Yoda

#20 dogfish

dogfish

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,374 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 09:49 PM

Plus...it also matters how many members of MADD are in the courtroom.
Since 1999