Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HolyCow

DishNet and Cable Subscribers: Say Goodbye to Extra Innings

37 posts in this topic

VA,I had dish programming for a while and then went back to cable.

I did buy my own reciever.

For about 3 years I've been able to buy any sports programming and I think I can get Pay-Per-View.

I don't buy any movies,tho.

How much do the recievers cost ?

If a decent # of people go this route - buying their dish for Extra Innings without signing up for monthly programming - I think that DTV will lose money on this deal.

Unless they up the EI feee to $1000, of course. :)

How much do the recievers cost ?

If a decent # of people go this route - buying their dish for Extra Innings without signing up for monthly programming - I think that DTV will lose money on this deal.

Unless they up the EI feee to $1000, of course. :)

I have the reciever 8 years or so.

I think I paid around $179 at the time.

I dislike Kerry, but I'm glad someone's doing something about this!

Fully agree. I also dislike Kerry but the deal needs to be nixed.

HC

Fully agree. I also dislike Kerry but the deal needs to be nixed.

HC

Yep, this deal needs to die a quick death.

Yep, this deal needs to die a quick death.

Unfortunately, I must come back down to reality. I'm not sure how much of a legal argument there is. Then again, I'm not an expert on FCC regulations. Stuff like this isn't an anti-trust violation, I know that much.

Stuff like this isn't an anti-trust violation, I know that much.

It might not be by the letter of the law (I'm not sure) but it certainly violates the spirit.

MLB can get away with anti-trust stuff within its own business because of their exemption, but once they venture outside and involve other businesses, that's where they can get slapped on the wrist.

It might not be by the letter of the law (I'm not sure) but it certainly violates the spirit.

MLB can get away with anti-trust stuff within its own business because of their exemption, but once they venture outside and involve other businesses, that's where they can get slapped on the wrist.

The current Justice Department and Executive Branch are about as "pro-business" as they can get, so I highly doubt anything of substance will happen to derail this deal.

The current Justice Department and Executive Branch are about as "pro-business" as they can get, so I highly doubt anything of substance will happen to derail this deal.

It'll be the FCC that possibly does something. Remember, they're the ones who leaned on Comcast when they didn't want to put MASN on their cable systems.

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7006330102

Sen. Kerry Opposes Satellite-Exclusive MLB 'Extra Innings' DealFebruary 1, 2007 3:53 p.m. EST

Matthew Smith - All Headline News Sports Reporter

Washington, DC (AHN) - Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry (D) is opposing a proposal to make Major League Baseball's "Extra Innings" exclusive to DirecTV.

Kerry plans to raise the issue with thechairman of the Federal Communications Commission at a scheduled hearing on Thursday.

"I am opposed to anything that deprives people of reasonable choices," Kerry said in a statement released Wednesday. "In this day and age, consumers should have more choices -- not fewer. I'd like to know how this serves the public -- a deal that will force fans to subscribe to DirecTV in order to tune in to their favorite players. A Red Sox fan ought to be able to watch their team without having to switch to DirecTV."

A pending deal would allow DirecTV exclusive rights to the MLB "Extra Innings" package, a subscription television service designed for viewers to watch out-of-market baseball games.

FCC Chairman Kevin Martin will be on hand to serve a witness to at Thursday's hearing.