Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tjb13

Payton in the Boston Globe

37 posts in this topic

"most of the time in left field?' :confused:

Isn't that the main reason why they signed Huff?

They have Markakis in right and Patterson in center. Unless he catches fire I don't see him getting as much playing time as he thinks.

I posted several weeks ago that Perlozzo is going to have fun filling out those lineup cards.

Everything I've heard out of Payton makes me think he'll embrace whatever role we want him in. I originally questioned then signing when it looked like he'd be our guy in LF, but now that we have Huff it makes lots of sense. In the event somebody goes down, at least we won't have to watch the Brandon Fahey in Left Field Show.

"most of the time in left field?' :confused:

Isn't that the main reason why they signed Huff?

They have Markakis in right and Patterson in center. Unless he catches fire I don't see him getting as much playing time as he thinks.

I posted several weeks ago that Perlozzo is going to have fun filling out those lineup cards.

I think Huff plays alot of time at 1B.

Now with the Orioles, Payton appreciates his place

A few questions for Orioles outfielder Jay Payton, who played in Boston for half a season (2005) before being traded to Oakland.

Q. How excited are you about getting back to the AL East?

JP: "Very excited, for a lot of reasons. I've moved to North Carolina, where most of my family is, so it'll be pretty close to where I live. That part's great. The other thing is getting a lot of at-bats and being able to be a big part of a team like I was with Oakland last year. I also get to reunite with Kevin Millar, and I think we're all pretty excited around here about going up against the two Evil Empires: Boston and New York."

Q. Is it a lot different playing baseball in a place like Oakland than back East?

JP: "Yeah. It really is. I had a great time there and we had our rivalry with Anaheim, but that level of excitement that I experienced with the Red Sox and the Mets back East, there was a lot to it. Baseball was really important there and people really got into it. But Oakland was great, too. No complaints."

Q. Could the Orioles be a surprise? They seem to have a good starting rotation, a revamped bullpen.

JP: "I know this: Nobody is going to pick us to win the division. But I love that underdog role. A lot of guys on this team, like Millar, thrive on that stuff. You look at this team, it's got the talent to do some things. I don't think we're going to back down to anyone."

Q. Any idea how your playing time will go?

JP: "Well, to me, it's similar to Oakland. I came there as the fourth outfielder and wound up starting a lot and playing a lot of games. I think I'll probably play most of the time in left field, but I'm going to see time in center field against lefthanded pitchers and I'll be in right some of the time, too."

Even thought Huff plays alot of 1B,I think Payton might be overestimating his playing time a bit.

I think Huff plays alot of time at 1B.

It's Millar's job to lose. He was signed to be the everyday first baseman.

I don't see it happening unless Millar embarrasses himself out of a job. He's below average for sure but not quite inept enough for the Orioles to change their mind.

I like the fact that there appears to be a little more depth on the team next season.

It's Millar's job to lose. He was signed to be the everyday first baseman.

I don't see it happening unless Millar embarrasses himself out of a job. He's below average for sure but not quite inept enough for the Orioles to change their mind.

I like the fact that there appears to be a little more depth on the team next season.

I don't believe Millar was signed to be the every day 1B. Millar embarrassed himself out of a job last year (defensively). I believe Huff and Gibbons (to a lessor extent) are at 1B frequently against RHP.

I don't believe Millar was signed to be the every day 1B. Millar embarrassed himself out of a job last year (defensively). I believe Huff and Gibbons (to a lessor extent) are at 1B frequently against RHP.

Well, that's contrary to what the O's have been saying. Huff was signed to play left field, according to the info coming out of the warehouse.

Seems like Payton, Millar (& hopefully will spread) are developing a chip on their shoulders, loving the role of underdog, under the radar. That's exactly the attitude they need if they're gonna pull this 9 years of bs out of the muck. Of course, attitude alone won't do it--

Did you all expect him to say that the Orioles suck, Baltimore blows, he hates Angelos and,the only reason he is here is because it's the best deal he could get ? He won't say any of that stuff until he's been here atleast a full season.

IMO Payton's not suggesting that he is going to be the regular leftfielder, he's saying that when he does play, he will be spending the majority of his time in LF.

especially when gibbons misses his typical 40 games being on the dl and we slide huff into the dh role.

Well, that's contrary to what the O's have been saying. Huff was signed to play left field, according to the info coming out of the warehouse.

I've see various reports with him playing all kinds of positions.

I agree, plus it takes a double to score Millar from second.

I like players that run well. I put Huff at Ist full time and platoon Payton with Gibbons in left and Payton with Patterson in center, depending on the pitcher, etc. This means a lot of AB's for Payton. Millar will DH some and pinch hit late innings. I got this out of remarks by the manager.