Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JeffhandsofStone

New TV voice for O's?

19 posts in this topic

According to dcrtv.com MASN is about to hire Gary Thorne to do the TV broadcasts with Hunter, Palmer and Buck. I guess this means that Manfra and Angel will be the only 2 on radio? And will all 4 be in the TV booth at once or will Palmer and Buck continue to rotate games and make it a 3 man booth?

According to dcrtv.com MASN is about to hire Gary Thorne to do the TV broadcasts with Hunter, Palmer and Buck. I guess this means that Manfra and Angel will be the only 2 on radio? And will all 4 be in the TV booth at once or will Palmer and Buck continue to rotate games and make it a 3 man booth?

They said with Hunter?

seems he'd be the odd man out....

Gary Thorn has a nice announcer voice. I think his main sport is Hockey, was he with another baseball team until this year?

They said with Hunter?

seems he'd be the odd man out....

Please! With his asskissing there's NO WAY Angelos ever fires him! My bet is Angelos makes him GM one day! Or adopts him!

Thorne did radio broadcasts for the Mets but is best known for hockey play by play. He and Bill Clement were a superb pair for the NHL games on ESPN.

He's a Georgetown law school graduate.

Gary Thorn has a nice announcer voice. I think his main sport is Hockey, was he with another baseball team until this year?

I think Thorne might have done some Mets games before, but don't hold me to that, I wish this was Thorne in place of Hunter.

Gary Thorne is a terrific announcer. He did the radio broadcasts for the Mets for a few years. I'll check with someone else here, but I think he was with the White Sox for awhile. Thorne does MLB and college football games for ESPN TV.

He is a very good hockey announcer, but is far from being a Mike Emrick. Of course, there is only one "Doc".

Thorne did the Mets for 4 years (1985-88) then the Devils hockey games from 1987-93. During that time he did 1 year with the White Sox.

HC

Gary Thorne is a terrific announcer. He did the radio broadcasts for the Mets for a few years. I'll check with someone else here, but I think he was with the White Sox for awhile. Thorne does MLB and college football games for ESPN TV.

He is a very good hockey announcer, but is far from being a Mike Emrick. Of course, there is only one "Doc".

Mike Emrick is a washed up bum! He makes D Stockton seem credible!

he sounds over qualified to do orioles games he should be doing major network broadcasting

Thorne certainly doesn't know his baseball as well as his hockey. I remember watching an ESPN game between the Astros and somebody in Lance Berkman's rookie year and Thorne said that Berkman was just a roster filler and not a prospect. Not his exact words but he made it clear that he had never heard of Lance Berkman. Maybe he got him confused with another Lance or something.

Great hockey announcer but I always got the feeling that he didn't do enough homework to REALLY know baseball.

Thorne certainly doesn't know his baseball as well as his hockey. I remember watching an ESPN game between the Astros and somebody in Lance Berkman's rookie year and Thorne said that Berkman was just a roster filler and not a prospect. Not his exact words but he made it clear that he had never heard of Lance Berkman. Maybe he got him confused with another Lance or something.

Great hockey announcer but I always got the feeling that he didn't do enough homework to REALLY know baseball.

Thorn is a pro. He'll do terrific!

TM

Gary Thorne is a stud, and would be an incredible addition!

Thorne did radio broadcasts for the Mets but is best known for hockey play by play. He and Bill Clement were a superb pair for the NHL games on ESPN.

He's a Georgetown law school graduate.

I second that. Thorne has done a great job with Hockey no matter whom he has teamed with, but he was particularly good with Clement.

I like Gary Thorne. He's fairly knowledgeable compared to his colleagues (of course, so is a pet rock) and has a great voice. I read somewhere that he did say something to the effect of Jim Leyland adding 10 wins to his team alone. Comments like that drive me absolutely crazy. OTOH, it's got to be hard to talk for hours in a row and not sound stupid some of the time.

Plus Thorne does manage to make the very few hockey games (matches?) I've watched interesting. Maybe he can make a September Oriole/Devil Ray game interesting!!!

He is a hockey guy are you ok with that?:D

As long as he doesn't cross check Jim Palmer.

TM