Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trace21230

Fordin: Os Outfield Strong

33 posts in this topic

Didn't see this posted, but Spencer Fordin wrote a good piece discussing the Orioles' improved outfield situation.

Link to story: http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070123&content_id=1784840&vkey=news_bal&fext=.jsp&c_id=bal

Some heartening comments from Jay Payton are in there:

"I don't expect to start 162 games," Payton added at his introductory press conference. "I'll hit anywhere, one through nine. Wherever they put me. I know my role."

Huff also was quoted, and his quote seems to suggest that he thinks the Orioles have a far better chance to win than the Devil Rays. Hopefully we won't see any silly predictions that the D-Rays will be better than the Os--as we did last year.

"I appreciate Tampa Bay," Huff said weeks ago. "If it wasn't for Tampa Bay, I may not have made the big leagues as fast as I did. It was a place to grow up, learn the league and learn how to be a big leaguer. Toward the end, it got to the point where you want to move on and have a chance to win. ... You couldn't have been in a better place to start off."

They're definitely better off in the OF than last year. I'm not sure just how good they are, but they can't help but be improved. I'm really hoping Markakis can put a full season together that mirrors last year's second half. That's a lot of expectation to put on such a young player, and I'm not convinced that he's up to the task (yet), but if he can carry this team along with Tejada, it could at least be an interesting summer in Baltimore.

The article is actually the fourth in a series analyzing the team position-by-position. If you go back in the archives, Fordin's already assessed catcher, middle infield, and corner infield for the O's.

That being said, I did think the acticle addressed the fact that the O's have vastly improved their depth. When we got hit with injuries last year and had to play guys like Fahey in the outfield, that was the lowest part of the season...

That being said, I did think the acticle addressed the fact that the O's have vastly improved their depth. When we got hit with injuries last year and had to play guys like Fahey in the outfield, that was the lowest part of the season...

I forget who it was, but someone put a line out there that I adopted as my signature that perfectly illustrated just how ridiculous last year was. The line was something along the lines of, "The Orioles resemble a Sunday softball league team, just trying to find enough warm bodies to field a team."

It really was a joke. Unless they get hit with a huge injury epidemic:eek: , they shouldn't be in that position this year. Even if some guys go down, they've got some options in the minors, most notably Adam Stern.

The article is actually the fourth in a series analyzing the team position-by-position. If you go back in the archives, Fordin's already assessed catcher, middle infield, and corner infield for the O's.

Yeah, parts of it have been posted before. I am looking forward to reading the rest of it, especially on the starting pitching. That's next on January 31.

The O's started 06 with the mindset of starting Conine (LF), Matos (CF) and Gibbons (RF).

I'd say Huff (LF), Patterson (CF), and Markakis (RF) with Payton in reserve gives the O's a better chance to win.

The O's started 06 with the mindset of starting Conine (LF), Matos (CF) and Gibbons (RF).

I'd say Huff (LF), Patterson (CF), and Markakis (RF) with Payton in reserve gives the O's a better chance to win.

I'd say that's a pretty common sense assumption. In fact, if you look across the board, there's not a position where the O's aren't equal to or stronger than they were last year. Yet it's assumed by most on the board and elsewhere that the O's won't have an improvement in their record based on these improvements.

This should be a fun year!!!!

Go O's!

TM

So this one isn't from the agenda minded, activist sports media? Why is that? ;)

It's amazing how much better this OF is than last years. I forgot that we had Matos and Connine.

One item in the article that puzzles me is that they want to sit Patterson against LHP. Unless I am misreading mlb.com, Patty hit LHP better than RHP in the "quick splits area". However when I click on the splits tab it tells me that he hits LHP for worse than RHP. I am confused.

Don’t you know??

If it’s positive about the O’s the media has it right and they know what they are talking about, it’s all good.

But if it’s anything negative about the O’s, no matter who said it, its media bias and they don’t know what they are talking about.

If this same person comes out tomorrow with a negative report on the O’s watch Travis come out with his extreme explanations as to why he shouldn’t be taken seriously, that’s just Travis for you!!:rolleyes:

Joe don’t most fans do that? I think a lot of the posters here try to keep an open mind but in the end most of us are Orioles fans. Generally the national media doesn’t have anything positive to say about the club and for good reason but when someone does of course we jump at it. For me it’s like having “the bad kid” at school everyday he comes home with a note from the teacher but the day he doesn’t I praise him.

Are they improved from last year, for sure. Are they a "good" outfield, I'd have to say no. They're mediocre at best. There is some potential to be great in Markakis, but Huff is another Gibby and Patterson needs to get on base to use his speed. I'd say average to below average. Compare them to any in the league. Outfield is not for getting on base it's for producing runs. We need a big bopper somewhere in this lineup. Miggy has the capability to be this, but there isn't any power in front or behind him. We have a lot of .275 20hr 75 rbi guys. That's all good and well, but I don't consider that "strong"

Are they improved from last year, for sure. Are they a "good" outfield, I'd have to say no. They're mediocre at best. There is some potential to be great in Markakis, but Huff is another Gibby and Patterson needs to get on base to use his speed. I'd say average to below average. Compare them to any in the league. Outfield is not for getting on base it's for producing runs. We need a big bopper somewhere in this lineup. Miggy has the capability to be this, but there isn't any power in front or behind him. We have a lot of .275 20hr 75 rbi guys. That's all good and well, but I don't consider that "strong"

I disagee that the OF is for producing runs rather than getting on base. Someone who gets on base also produces runs. I agree that Patersons OBP needs to improve by a minimum of 30 points, but his defense is above avg. Markakis has an excellent OBP,Huff's is good, and Payton's is worrisome.

All told, I think they have an average OF. It's actually the IF that I would question the most. We below avg. at the corners, although we are strong (offensively) up the middle- 2B-SS-C).

To say Huff is another Gibbons is just silly man.

Don’t you know??

If it’s positive about the O’s the media has it right and they know what they are talking about, it’s all good.

But if it’s anything negative about the O’s, no matter who said it, its media bias and they don’t know what they are talking about.

If this same person comes out tomorrow with a negative report on the O’s watch Travis come out with his extreme explanations as to why he shouldn’t be taken seriously, that’s just Travis for you!!:rolleyes:

Thanks for shredding a perfectly harmless thread, guys. I'm not TMoon's biggest fan, but hammering on him for echoing what several others have said on the same thread is just trolling. Grow the hell up.

It's amazing how much better this OF is than last years. I forgot that we had Matos and Connine.

One item in the article that puzzles me is that they want to sit Patterson against LHP. Unless I am misreading mlb.com, Patty hit LHP better than RHP in the "quick splits area". However when I click on the splits tab it tells me that he hits LHP for worse than RHP. I am confused.

Patterson's numbers were pretty ugly against LHers last year.

Patterson splits

He brings so much to the table defensively, though, that it might be worth putting up with that kind of production if the rest of the lineup is solid.

Patterson's numbers were pretty ugly against LHers last year.

Patterson splits

He brings so much to the table defensively, though, that it might be worth putting up with that kind of production if the rest of the lineup is solid.

That is what I thought. But if you go to mlb.com, the splits on the front page indicates that he hits LHP better than RHP. Yet when you click on the "splits tab" he hits LHP far worse than RHP. Any explanation?

That is what I thought. But if you go to mlb.com, the splits on the front page indicates that he hits LHP better than RHP. Yet when you click on the "splits tab" he hits LHP far worse than RHP. Any explanation?

That is odd. My first thought was maybe those are career numbers, but I'd have a hard time believing he's hit .289 vs. LHers for his career.

My guess is some intern is screwing up over at mlb.com.

That is odd. My first thought was maybe those are career numbers, but I'd have a hard time believing he's hit .289 vs. LHers for his career.

My guess is some intern is screwing up over at mlb.com.

Well, they are advertising for jobs.

I think the manager has the right idea, playing Gibbons in left field some. Then Huff moves to Ist. Millar to the bench. Millar is a poor runner. Use him as a late inning pinch hitter.

By platooning Payton and Patterson in center the hitting is stronger. I feel using Markakis in the no.3 hole is a mistake.

Tejada should bat 3rd, Huff 4th. Too much pressure on the 23 year old. Also, I was sorry to see Newhan leave. "Mr. hustle" was good for the team.

Didn't see this posted, but Spencer Fordin wrote a good piece discussing the Orioles' improved outfield situation.

Link to story: http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070123&content_id=1784840&vkey=news_bal&fext=.jsp&c_id=bal

Some heartening comments from Jay Payton are in there:

Huff also was quoted, and his quote seems to suggest that he thinks the Orioles have a far better chance to win than the Devil Rays. Hopefully we won't see any silly predictions that the D-Rays will be better than the Os--as we did last year.

Mickey Mouse would be an improvement over our LF situation of a year ago. People here are saying Gibbons=Huff and vice-versa. Fine with me as long as one puts up 25/90 this year. That's a helluva lot better than Fahey don't you think?? ... :)

Mickey Mouse would be an improvement over our LF situation of a year ago. People here are saying Gibbons=Huff and vice-versa. Fine with me as long as one puts up 25/90 this year. That's a helluva lot better than Fahey don't you think?? ... :)

I agree. It is way better than Fahey. Fahey plays with heart, guts, and determination and I would like to see him turn into a productive short stop. He reminds me of Belanger. Additionally, I think if Gibbons stays healthy a 25/90 season is well within his reach. Maybe even a 30/105 now with his vision improved. I said in another thread I would like to see Jay do well at first base. I would rather see him there than left field. :)