Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tim27

Baseball Prospectus' take on the O's offseaon

56 posts in this topic

2003 Texas Rangers 103' date='400,000 4th place

2005 Seattle Mariners 83.400,000 4th place[/quote']

Baltimore (1998-2007) $703,727,182 4th place

Baltimore (1998-2007) $703,727,182 4th place

Here, little Bertie. *pats you on the helmet* Some attention for you. The Orioles didn't finish fourth every single one of those years. Now run along and play with the other Yankee boys.

The Orioles didn't finish fourth every single one of those years.

You’re right it seems Toronto slipped up in 03.

On the other hand should I pencil Baltimore in for 4th place in 2007 already?

Hawkins: I won't repeat the discussion with crawdaddy in the other thread, but there's no reason the Orioles don't get compensation for him. He should have been signed before the deadline (by COL) and compensation would have been zero risk.

But I think a major point you're missing is the fact that Hawk got 3.5 from the Rocks; if he'd accetpted arb he'd have gotten 4.5 from the O's. You can't offer him arb in that case unless you're willing to pay him that, and , like I said before, if you pay him that there goes Bradfored. and I'd rather have Bradford.

Millar: I like Millar. He a decent player and I expect him to have a good season. .280, 20hrs, .350 BP. But the Orioles could have gotten the same production form Craig Wilson (ATL, 1 year, 2M).

Kevin Millar or Craig Wilson and 2 draft picks? Sorry Kevin.

Again, I don't think anybody signs Millar if it costs them any picks. they'd just wait until it didn't because there is no kind of bidding war. And, imo, Millar is worth more than Wilson.

[url.

We agree totally about Baez. Essentially, we agree in concept, but I'm more upset with the forfeited picks than the theoretical ones I don't believe we could have gained anyway.

And in a quick postscript, a lot of people who want to judge the farm system in a straight linear fashion just don't get it. A lot of talent graduated last year from the farm- Markakis, Loewen, Ray- and so of course the system is going to take a knock but that doesn't mean it isn't improving. Rowell and Erbe are probably our best prospects in decades. The talent is a little lower now but in two years this system will be excelent.

About Hawkins:

But I think a major point you're missing is the fact that Hawk got 3.5 from the Rocks; if he'd accetpted arb he'd have gotten 4.5 from the O's. You can't offer him arb in that case unless you're willing to pay him that, and , like I said before, if you pay him that there goes Bradfored. and I'd rather have Bradford.

About Millar:

Again, I don't think anybody signs Millar if it costs them any picks. they'd just wait until it didn't because there is no kind of bidding war. And, imo, Millar is worth more than Wilson.

We agree totally about Baez. Essentially, we agree in concept, but I'm more upset with the forfeited picks than the theoretical ones I don't believe we could have gained anyway.

And in a quick postscript, a lot of people who want to judge the farm system in a straight linear fashion just don't get it. A lot of talent graduated last year from the farm- Markakis, Loewen, Ray- and so of course the system is going to take a knock but that doesn't mean it isn't improving. Rowell and Erbe are probably our best prospects in decades. The talent is a little lower now but in two years this system will be excelent.